COMPOSITES, Non Metallic Testing (NMMT) Subgroup
20-21 JULY 2006
These minutes are not final until confirmed by the Task Group in writing or by vote at a subsequent meeting. Information herein does not constitute a communication or recommendation from the Task Group and shall not be considered as such by any agency.
THURSDAY, 20JULY 2006 (OPEN SESSION)
1.1Call to Order/Quorum Check
The Nonmetallics Testing subgroup of the Composites Task Group Meeting was called to order by Andreas Mastorakis at 9 a.m. A quorum of qualifying members was established.
The following representatives were in attendance:User Members Present
Name / Company
Mike / Bemis / Goodrich Aerostructures
Sharon / Bull / Rolls Royce plc
Neil / Clarke / Rolls-Royce plc
Mike / Coleman / The Boeing Company
Marty / Couey / Raytheon Aircraft Co.
Lucia / Cutillo / Alenia Aeronautica s.p.a.
David / Day / GE Aviation
Laurent / Dejaie / SONACA
Uta / Dietrich / AIRBUS
Kevin / Dowling / Spirit Aerosystems
Joe / Dwyer / Rolls-Royce Corp.
Kevin / Elston / Vought Aircraft
Olivier / Goupillon / Eurocopter
Brett / Hemingway / BAE Systems (Air Systems)
Mark / Jackson / Vought Aircraft
Betty / Kocsis / Honeywell Aerospace
Wolfgang / Leistner / Eurocopter
Frank / Lennert / The Boeing Company
Lance / Loeks / The Boeing Company
Emilio / Lopez-Vidriero / AIRBUS
Domenico / Manna / Alenia Aeronautica s.p.a.
Francios / Marcel / SAFRAN Group
Andreas / Mastorakis / GE Aviation
Alberto / Portal Macias / EADS-CASA (MTAD)
Doug / Prenovost / Northrop Grumman
Norberto / Roiz Laihente / EADS-CASA (MTAD)
Arun / Sibal / Lockheed Martin
Colin / Turner / The Boeing Company
David / Watson / Bombardier Inc.
Steve / Wishnowski / Bombardier Inc.
Other Participants/Members Present
Marie-Luce / Alegre / SOFICAR
Neil / Broughton / Cobham Advanced Composites
Bourgé / Christelle / Daher L’hotellier Composites
Jean Marc / Dierickx / Hexcel
Eric / Dirats / Dirats Laboratories
Jim / Ferrel / Hexcel
Rafael / Garcia / Hexcel
Stephen / Gehrke / Euro-Composites
Miguel A. / Gerdel / Thermal Structures
Hiroki / Hashitsume / Mitsubishi Heavy Industries
Brian L. / Johnson / Royal Plastic Manufacturing Inc.
Dennis / Keefe / Smiths Aerospace
David / Kimber / ATK Space Systems
Bahar / Kogkan / Turkish Aerospace Ind.
Nicolas / Majerus / Euro-Composites
Daniel / Ng / Hexcel
John / Riddell / St. Bernard Composites LTD
Jim / Rossi / Westmoreland Testing
Nuria / Ruiz / Hexcel
David / Schmid / RUAG Aerospace
Andrew / Sinclair / Bodycote Testing Group
Vitorio / Stana / Avcorp Industries Inc.
PRI Staff Present
Rebekah Foutz / PRI Staff (Warrendale, PA)
David Luoni / PRI Staff (Warrendale, PA)
1.3Routing of Attendance List
The attendance list was routed for signatures.
1.4Approval of Previous Meeting Minutes
The minutes from the 24-28 April 2006 Nadcap Meeting were reviewed. A motion was made for approval, seconded, and all were in favor with no disapprovals. Therefore, the minutes were approved as written. All meeting minutes will be available on the PRI web site at
PRI discussed how voting is conducted now that NMMT falls under the Composites TG.
2.1A separate NMMT voting member lists will be maintained.
2.2Supplier voting members cannot exceed prime voting members
2.3Meeting attendance will be enforced per the requirements defined in AS 7003 Rev C
3.0Action Item Report OUt
All action items from April 2006 were closed.
For details, refer to the action item list located on the last page of these minutes.
Specific items of interest to the Composites Task Group included:
4.1Review of recent activities
4.1.1NMMT sub-group moved to Composites Task Group
4.1.2Continued development of AS7122, AC 7122/1 and AC7122/2
4.1.3Sent AS7122, AC7122/1 and AC7122/2 out for ballot
220.127.116.11Four (4) have passed Task Group interview.
18.104.22.168Must complete additional training prior to full approval.
22.214.171.124.1Training to be held at a volunteering Supplier and Prime’s facilities
4.2Estimate to begin pilot audits in September 2006
5.1Developed important items to address during auditor training at a volunteering testing facility:
5.1.1Observe tests being performed at each test lab. Try to cover as many tests from the matrix as possible.
5.1.2Tour all labs
126.96.36.199.4Witness ambient and non-ambient tests
188.8.131.52.6Describe operation of each test fixture and the tests that can be performed using it
184.108.40.206.7Demonstrate alignment test
220.127.116.11.8Load cell and extensometer calibration
18.104.22.168.1Describe operation and calibration of every analytical instrument and the tests that can be performed using it
22.214.171.124.2Witness test if possible
126.96.36.199.1Review physical tests that are being performed
188.8.131.52Fire Testing (Horizontal and Vertical Burn)
184.108.40.206.1Chamber review and conditioning requirements
220.127.116.11.2Witness test if possible
5.1.3Test report review
18.104.22.168Review customer material specifications and follow through test report
5.1.5Observe panel lay-up and cure
ACTION ITEM - PRI to notify Auditors to review NMMT checklists and scopes of all standards in matrix and provide questions/comments to be reviewed at auditor training– July 24, 2006
ACTION ITEM - PRI to e-mail above auditor training to Candy and CC task group-July 24, 2006
ACTION ITEM - Daniel Ngto coordinate pilot audit with Rebekah-Aug 11, 2006
6.1Future of AS7122
6.1.1Proposal for AS7122 to become AC7122.
22.214.171.124Motion was made and approved. Fifteen in favor, Zero opposed. Zero abstained.
ACTION ITEM - PRI to Send BAE Systems (Air Systems) and Vought e-mail to designate Alternate User Voting Members-28 July06
ACTION ITEM - Andreas Mastorakis to change title on document AS7122 to AC7122-18 Aug 06
7.0Resolution of Ballot Comments FOR as7122, ac7122/1 AND ac7122/2
Task Group reviewed and resolved comments submitted from AS7122, AC7122/1 and AC7122/2.
7.1Points of Interest
7.1.1Discussion took place regarding the intent of the AC7122. Checklist intended for raw material manufacturing labs and independent labs. The intent does not cover in-process testing.
7.1.2‘Per Customer Requirement’ statements will be reviewed for effectiveness after Pilot Audits have been completed
7.1.3A Table of Contents will be added to all documents prior to their final ballot
7.2A motion was made to accept comments as made on 20 July 2006. Changes were voted on and approved. No technical changes, therefore, AC7122 (former AS7122) will be sent out on a 14 day affirmation ballot.
ACTION ITEM - Betty Kocsis to change references in the AC7122/1 of ‘AS7122’ to ‘AC7122’-18 Aug 06
ACTION ITEM - Mike Bemis to create Auditor Handbook clarification in regards to what Nadcap accreditations possibly apply for paragraph 4.20 of the AC7122 (formerly AS7122)-19 October 2006
ACTION ITEM - Lance Loeks to determine if a description of the intent of AC7122 can be added to the checklist-19 October 2006
ACTION ITEM - Mike Bemis (lead), Uta Dietrich, Jim Ferrel and Andrew Sinclair to create Auditor Handbook clarification, incorporating Auditor feedback, on paragraph 1.1 of the AC7122/1-19 October 2006
ACTION ITEM - Mike Bemis (lead), Joe Dwyer, Andrew Sinclair and Jim Ferrel to create Auditor Handbook clarification for paragraph 1.5 in AC7122/1-19 October 2006
ACTION ITEM - Andreas Mastorakis to add definitions to the Auditor Handbook of captive labs, etc in reference to paragraph 3.1 of the AC7122/1-19 October 2006
ACTION ITEM - Jim Ferrel to create Auditor Handbook clarification for paragraph 3.2 of the AC7122/1-19 October 2006
ACTION ITEM - Mike Bemis to create Auditor Handbook clarification for paragraph 5.1 of the AC7122/1 using Auditor Handbook clarification that has been developed for the AC7122 draft Rev. A-19 October 2006
FRIDAY, 21 JULY 2006 (OPEN SESSION)
7.0Resolution of Ballot Comments FOR as7122, ac7122/1 AND ac7122/2 CONTINUED
Task Group continued reviewing and resolving comments submitted from AS7122, AC7122/1 and AC7122/2.
ACTION ITEM - Andreas Mastorakis to add the clarification of how many job audits in the need to be conducted during an audit-18 August 2006
ACTION ITEM - Betty Kocsis to add ‘Section N/A’ to paragraph 30-33 in AC7122/1-18 August 2006
ACTION ITEM - Andreas Mastorakis (lead), Mike Bemis and Jim Rossi to create Auditor Handbook clarification for alignment for paragraph 33.5 in AC7122/1-19 October 2006
ACTION ITEM - Mike Bemis to renumber AC7122/2-18 August 2006
ACTION ITEM - Mike Bemis to reference paragraphs 3.1 and 3.2 under all compression, tension and shear job audit sections in AC7122/2-18 August 2006
ACTION ITEM - Andreas Mastorakis to create Auditor Handbook clarification for paragraph 4.2.9 of AC7122/2 (What is required? Crosshead speed does not need to appear on C of C)-19 October 2006
ACTION ITEM - Neil Clarke (lead) and Jim Rossi to create Auditor Handbook clarification for paragraph 4.5.13 of AC7122/2 (strain gauge requirements for bending strain)-19 October 2006
ACTION ITEM - Andreas Mastorakis to separate shear sections into mid plane shear and short beam shear by adding to AC7122 (formerly AS7122) table and reworking AC7122/2 paragraphs 4.8 and 4.9-18 August 2006
ACTION ITEM - Andreas Mastorakis to create Auditor Handbook clarification that,“The recording and verification can be performed by the same person with appropriate training” for paragraph 5.12.1(misnumbered) of the AC7122/2-19 October 2006
ACTION ITEM - Jim Ferrel to create Auditor Handbook clarification for paragraph 126.96.36.199 of AC7122/2-19 October 2006
ACTION ITEM - Andrew Sinclair will harmonize 7.10,7.11, 7.12 regarding TGA tests-18 August 2006
ACTION ITEM - Jim Ferrel to create Auditor Handbook clarification for paragraph 7.15.4 of AC7122/2 (quartz is acceptable...determine acceptable TCE for material)-19 October 2006
ACTION ITEM - Airbus and Boeing will discuss how requirements will be implemented for fire tests (test matrix codes 63-69)-18 August 2006
ACTION ITEM - Daniel Ng to provide max strain called out in EN2563 for paragraph 4.8.12 of AC7122/2 to Mike Bemis-18 August 2006
ACTION ITEM - PRI to provide an example of a job audit format that includes identity of customer, etc. (use MTL job audits as reference)-19 October 2006
ADJOURNMENT – The meeting was adjourned at 1:30 p.m.
Meeting Minutes Prepared By:
Action Items***** For PRI Staff use only: ******
Are procedural/form changes required based on changes/actions approved during this meeting? (select one)
*If yes, the following information is required:
Documents requiring revision: / Who is responsible: / Due date:
AS7122, AC7122/1, AC7122/2 / Rebekah Foutz / 21 August 2006
Page 1 of 7