Preparing for the ASVAB
Preparing for the ASVAB
The Marine & Family Programs – Education Center does not endorse any particular method of test preparation beyond recommending that examinees reviewa core of courses such as mathematics, English, and science. Such academic preparation will help with performance on the Arithmetic Reasoning, Mathematics Knowledge, Paragraph Comprehension, Word Knowledge, and General Science subtests. Studying or taking technical courses will also help with performance on the Auto Information, Shop Information, Electronics Information, and Mechanical Comprehension subtests.
The following are general tips for improved performance on the ASVAB:
Steps to Take In Advance of the Actual Test Day
- Prepare well in advance of the day of the test.
- Know what to expect on test day.
- Become familiar with the contents of the ASVAB subtests.
- Take sample questions and review content areas in which you need to freshen up your skills.
Strategies for Taking the ASVAB
- Read the directions for the test carefully before beginning.
- Read each question carefully before selecting an answer.
- Pay attention to the time — don’t spend too much time on one individual question, if that means not having enough time to answer later questions. Skip difficult questions and then return to them later if time permits.
- When the answer to a question is unclear, try to rule out as many incorrect choices as possible and then make an educated guess from the remaining answers.
- Answer every question. If time is running out, it is advantageous to fill in random guesses for the remaining items, as there is no penalty for guessing.
- Review all answers if there is time remaining.
- Select only one response per item on the answer sheet and erase completely if changesare necessary.
Evaluate strengths and weaknesses.
The Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) is a military eligibility exam consisting of nine sections: General Science, Arithmetic Reasoning, Word Knowledge, Paragraph Comprehension, Auto & Shop, Mathematics Knowledge, Mechanical Comprehension, Electronics Information, and Assembling Objects.
With the ASVAB diagnostic, examinees can answer test-like questions, analyze their results, and evaluate their strengths and weaknesses. For each section, examinees will be able to assess their results according to subject area, question difficulty level, and personal confidence level.
To assess strengths & weaknesses, use the following Online Diagnostic at:
Upon receipt of the results of the diagnostic exam, examinees will be able to use their results to focus their studies.
Prepare for the ASVAB
Examinees can prepare for the exam at the following website:
At this site, examinees can download the EBook, Mastering the ASVAB for free. They can also take up to three practice exams on-line or download the test player to practice off-line.
Peterson's Online Academic Skills Course (OASC)
Peterson's Online Academic Skills Course (OASC) is designed for individuals who want to build their math and verbal skills to excel in their jobs, pass their exams, advance their careers, or continue their education. The course will diagnose the individual's current level of reading comprehension, vocabulary, and math abilities and teach the concepts and skills needed to increase proficiency in each of these academic areas.
- Barron’s ASVAB - 2012
- Peterson's Master the ASVAB Basics - 2010
- ASVAB Core Review- 2009
- ASVAB Study Guide (Kaplan ) - 2009
- Master the ASVAB (Arco ) - 2008
- ASVAB (Kaplan ) - 2008
- ASVAB Success (Learning Express) - 2007
- Master the ASVAB (different publishers) - 2006
Online Resource at Navy Knowledge Online (NKO)
In order to access NKO materials:
Step 1: Visit & create an NKO account/Login to your existing account
Step 2: On the right side of the screen, select the yellow Reference tab
Step 3: From the choices on the left, select “E-Library-Military”
Step 4: Click the “Ebsco eBook & AudioBook Collection” (it will open in a new window)
Step 5: Search for ASVAB. Result: McGraw-Hill's ASVAB Basic Training for the AFQT
Step 6: Click “eBook Full text” to view the book