Montgomery College Women’s Studies Program
The 2009 Women’s Studies Scholarship Program
The Women’s Studies Program at Montgomery College offers several scholarships of $500 -- $750 to eligible students each Spring. The following factors are considered while reviewing scholarship applications and determining scholarship awardees:
- Must be enrolled in courses at Montgomery College during the 2008 - 2009 academic year.
- Must be taking or have taken Women’s Studies courses*
- Campus leadership or community leadership in women’s or other socially-conscious programs
- Excellent academic performance
- Excellent performance in career or voluntary activities
- Goals related to women’s causes or other humanitarian causes
- Demonstration of need (family, personal, or economic)
- Photocopy of completed Student Financial Aid Application. (Even if youdon’t need financial aid or aren’t eligible to apply for it, this form is useful to us in the application review process.)
- Copy of your current Montgomery College transcript
- A completed Women’s Studies Scholarship Student Application Form
- A completed Women’s Studies Scholarship Faculty Recommendation Form
Also, you must be available to attend the Annual Women’s Studies Program Scholarship Breakfast on Wednesday, March 11, 2009,in the Theatre Arts Arena, Rockville campus. During the event, student scholarships will be awarded.
Submit materials by 5:00 PM, Wednesday, February 4, 2009, to:
Genevieve Carminati, Women’s Studies Program Coordinator,
Macklin Tower, Room 212E, Montgomery College, Rockville, MD 20850.
Telephone: 240-567-5355. FAX: 240-567-1745.
*Women’s Studies Courses include WS 101, EN 208, HE 204, HS 110, HS 112, MG 120, PE 173, PE 178, PY 207, SO 108, SO201, SO 208, Honors Modules of these classes, and Honors classes that focus on women and/or gender.
Women’s Studies Scholarship Student Application 2009
Student ID #______
Student’s Telephone Number(s)______
Student’s E-mail Address______
Student’s Signature /Date______
Student: Please answer the following three questions in one or two thoughtful paragraphs for each, and attach your typed responses to this application form.
- What do you want to accomplish with the help of this scholarship, should you be selected? Please be specific, demonstrating the ways in which winning this scholarship could help you, especially (but not only) academically.
- Why should you be chosen for a Women’s Studies Scholarship? Be surethat your response demonstrates your particular involvement in Women’s Studies. Consider the following questions to help youformulate youranswer. You do not need to answer all of them. How have youdemonstrated your interest in and commitment to women’s andgender studies? Howhave you demonstrated your interest in issues that concern and affectwomen’s lives? What activities or events have you participated in thatdemonstrate your involvement in Women’s Studies?
- Please describe a successful project or paper that you completed for a Women’s Studies course. What was the research or study involved in the assignment, and what did you learn by completingthe work? How doyouthink your scholarly project contributes to our understanding of Women’s and Gender Studies?
Women’s Studies Scholarship Faculty Recommendation Form and Letter – 2009
Student’s Name ______
Student’s ID Number______
Student’s Signature and Date______
Faculty Person’s Name______
Faculty Person’s Signature/ Date______
Faculty Person’s Telephone Number______
How do you know this student?______
Faculty Person: In an attached typed response, please explain why you see this student as a strong candidate for a Women’s Studies Scholarship. Please make clear the student’s commitment to Women’s Studies and concern for issues that affect the lives of women and/or that examine gender roles. Also, please include any pertinent information that you believe will aid the Scholarship Committee in understanding this student’s skills and achievements as well as her/his need.
Please submit your recommendation to Genevieve Carminati,
Macklin Tower, Room 212E, Rockville Campus, by Wednesday,
February 4, 2009, 5:00 PM.
Telephone number: 240-567-5355.FAXNumber: 240-567-1745.
E-mail address: .