MILLFIELD EQUESTRIAN CENTRE
The grooms report to the Yard Supervisor and must work as part of a team. Days off will be on a rota of 1 day one week and 1½ days the following week. Five weeks annual holiday are to be taken during the school holidays.
Staffare given 2 lessons a week and are encouraged to work towards their BHS examinations Stage I, II, III and PTT. The school undertakes to repay half the entry fee for successful candidates in these examinations. You will have ample opportunity to train, but must realise that you are employed as a groom rather than a trainee.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Feed, muck out and groom stabled horses and maintain the high standard of the yard with some duties involving the grass kept horses.
- Prepare horses for lessons.
- Receiving horses on arrival and itemising equipment.
- Preparing horses, equipment and transport for competition and other outings and receiving them on return, ensuring all equipment is put away and transport cleaned.
- Be responsible for all equipment belonging to your allocated horses.
- Load and unload horses on the horse-walker.
- Turn out and catch in horses from the fields.
- Travel to shows and other outings, as required.
- Take part in late rotas and house cleaning.
- To take specific areas of responsibility as defined by the Yard Supervisor.
You will have your own single room with ensuite shower/toilet in Gypsy Mews where there is also a large communal living room/kitchen. All food, lighting, heating and use of the washing machine is included in your accommodation costs but you are expected to keep your room and the communal areas clean and tidy. Please note that this job requires periods when you will be working more than 48 hours per week by rota.
The stables are open in term time from 6.45am to approximately 6.30pm. Staff are allocated a breakfast break and lunch break during the day.
- The salary is £10,618 – 13,392per annum, after a deduction of £4.80per day for food/accommodation (live out salary add £1,683), which will be paid monthly in arrears.
- Annual holiday allowance is 5 weeks per year, which must be taken during the school holidays; we are expected to work Bank Holidays (time off in lieu).
- Some Millfield Equestrian Clothing will be provided (jacket, fleece + polo shirt).
- A deposit of £30 will be withheld from the first month’s salary returnable when the clothing mentioned above is returned and the room has been inspected for damage
- This job is subject to 1 month’s trial.
Millfield School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff to share this commitment. Offers of appointment are subject to satisfactory reference and CRB clearance.