Vietnam Innovation day application form
"Innovations to fight HIV/AIDS"
The volunteers, non-stop improving the HIV/AIDS fighting capacity
Location of the project: Hoan Kiem district, Hanoi
Vietnam Community Mobilization Center for HIV/AIDS control (VICOMC).Address: / 16/4 Phuong Mai, Dong Da, Hanoi
Tel/Fax: / 04-57412512
Email: / .
Person-in-charge: / Nguyen Thi Hoang Oanh
Title: / Vice - Director
Tel/fax: / 04-5741251
Account Number / 002.1.00.19334
Account name: / Dang Van Khoat
Name of Bank: / Hanoi Foreign Trade Bank
Address: / 78 Nguyen Du - Hanoi
Account type / USD: X VND: X
Partner Agency to cooperate
Friend-help-friend Group in Hoan Kiem
Health Center of Hoan Kiem district
Hanoi, April 2004
application form for Vietnam Innovation day
"Innovations to fight HIV/AIDS"
Part I: Project identification
The volunteers, non-stop improving the fighting capacity of AIDS
Location of project: Hoan Kiem district, Hanoi
- Vietnam Community Mobilization Center for fighting HIV/AIDS (VICOMC)Address: / 16/4 Phuong Mai, Dong Da district, Hanoi
Tel/Fax: / 04-57412512
Responsibility: / Nguyen Thi Hoang Oanh
Position: / Vice - Director
Tel/fax: / 04-5741251
- Hoan Kiem friend-help-friend Group
- Hoan Kiem Health CenterAccount Number / 002.1.00.19334
Account name / Dang Van Khoat
Name of Bank / Hanoi Foreign Trade Bank
Address: / 78 Nguyen Du - Hanoi
Account type / USD: X VND: X
2. Characteristic of project implementation Agency
Vietnam Community Mobilization Center for HIV/AIDS control (VICOMC), a none-government organization, was established on 1st December 1994, which is subject to Vietnam Union of Scientific and Technical Association, certificated by Ministry of Science and Technology in 1995.
Training, informing, broadcasting, community intervention and development studying in the field of HIV Prevention and Care, taking care of initial health, sexual and reproductive health, eliminating hunger and reducing poverty in poor community, groups coexisting with HIV, juveniles and females in order to improve their living standards.
Since its foundation to present, the Center has been financed by:
- National Committee for AIDS fighting, Vietnam Union of Scientific and Technical Association
- Some United Nations Organizations such as: UNDP, UNODC, UNICEF, WB…
- Some International Organizations such as DAPC, ICCO, LWF Ducth fund, CIDA, Ford Foundation and Universities: Deakin, Australia, SEACA, INSIST…
Some projects implemented in recent yearsNo / Financed by / Name of Project
1 / United Nation Obligation Drugs Co-operation / Remaining the equal Education activities - Reducing the impact of Drugs in 5 provinces, 2002-2004
2 / Canada International Development Association CIDA / Training Volunteer Staff to take care of females and children, HIV infected patients at Social and Labour Education Center in 2002.
3 / Local Woman Fund / Strengthening the sex equality in taking care of reproductive health in Binh Luc district, Ha Nam province, 2003-2004
4 / Dutch ICCO / Eliminating hunger and reducing poverty in accordance with HIV/AIDS prevention in Trai Ba, Hong Ky commune, Yen The district, Bac Giang province, 2003.
5 / Vietnam Commision for Population Family and Children and UNICEF / Investigating the Children accidents and Injures in 8 provinces and cities nationwide
6 / Ford foundation and DEAKIN University - Australia / Studying of discrimination related to HIV infection in Hanoi.
Organization Structure (VICOMC)
Board of Director
1. Doctor. Dang Van Khoat - Director, responsible for studying and training
2. Professor Le Dien Hong - Advisor, responsibility for specialty.
3. Dr. Tran Huu Can - Vice director, responsibility for organizing.
4. Pharmacist: Nguyen Thi Hoang Oanh - Vice director, responsible for community and HIV infected people programmers.
StaffNo / Name / Qualification / Experiences
1 / Bachelor Pham Thi Hanh Van / Bachelor of Socialism / To be trained of HIV/AIDS and community Development in State and abroad, six-year experienced in working effectively with HIV infected people, poor females and juveniles.
2 / Vu The Thuong / Master of Psychology / To be trained of HIV/AIDS and Community Development, three-year experienced in working effectively with HIV infected people and poor community.
3 / Bachelor. Nguyen Thi Diu / Bachelor of English / To be trained of HIV/AIDS and Community Development in State and abroad, three-year experienced in working effectively with HIV infected people and females with high HIV exposed risk.
4 / Bachelor. Tran Van Nghia / Bachelor of Socialism / To be trained of HIV/AIDS and Community Development, four-year experience sharing the work effectively with HIV infected people and drugs addicts.
3. Board of project manager
Establishing the “Contacting Board among the volunteers to fight AIDS” at the same time playing a role as Board of project Manager, the volunteers non-stop improving the fighting capacity of AIDS.
A new point that when the project completes, the Contacting Board still continues to be performed to maintain the successful activities
Board of project ManagerManager: Nguyen Thi Hoang Oanh / Vice manager: Nguyen Thuy Phuong / Vice manager: Dao Thi Mai Huong
Vice director of VICOMC / The representative of people sharing with HIV / Vice - director of Hoan Kiem Health Center
Ten-year experience in HIV fighting and working with HIV infected people in provinces nationwide. / Four-year volunteer in AIDS fighting, attended some equality training course, training seminars to take care of HIV infected people in national and oversea community / Twelve-year experienced in fighting AIDS, visiting people sharing with HIV infected people and people at the risk.
To mobilize the resource of VICOMC for project activities / To encourage and gather all HIV infected people taking part in project / To encourage the leaders and community in project area to participate in the project
Operation mechanism of Contacting Board of the volunteer in AIDS fighting, and Board of project Manager
1. To distribute specific task to each person in Board of project Manager, activating the member in their responsible areas, smoothly coordinating and cooperating duties among participants of project
2. Making agreement among three members of Board of project Manager in controlling the project, including the planning management and budget (new point).
3. Applying the method: "Putting together to study and act" from the draft process to the end of the project and maintaining the project
4. Non-stop creating favorable condition to improve the capacity of member, sharing with HIV infected people (new point).
II. Content of project
Facilities of economic and social affair in the community
According to the data statistics in 1st quarter in 2004, there are 378 people sharing with HIV, among them 280 people have clear address, 157 people are with their family, 90 people are in Drug Rehabitation Center and prison, 35 people died of AIDS and 98 people have no trace to follow. There is a fact that many HIV infected people are discriminated and distinguished.
Annually, the Health Center holds medical examination and consults at home to HIV infected people in accordance with media of communication on spirit of discrimination to HIV infected people. However, there is a fact that few people sharing with HIV use health services, care and consult quality of HIV is still low.
Problems and reasons:
- Almost HIV people infected is self - discriminated and self - isolated, there is too much discrimination and distinguish from people among them. These shortcomings create favorable condition for HIV improvement.
- HIV infected people and their family are lacking of information and knowledge of HIV prevention and care. More over, the treatment quality in sub-district health Center is under standard. Therefore, they meet difficulties in living and communicating.
- Almost HIV infected people is unemployed and living in poor families and some of them are lack of finance supported for small production and business. They day by day have to face with the insufficiencies of materials and spirit as well.
Solutions and initiatives:
1. Solution 1: Fight against the discrimination towards HIV infected people: coordinate to interview people coexisting with HIV, broadcast the advocacy mobilization to treat equally to HIV infected people and their families.
- Interview: To improve the capacity of people sharing with HIV through participating themselves in implementing and reporting survey on anti-discrimination and distinguish from community.
- Broadcasting the advocacy mobilization through the news volunteer to fight AIDS and radio at sub-district level, reflecting the wondering, respect, and new appearance of HIV infected people and their positive activities; the advocacy ideas of Committee at all levels, authority, departments, unions and public. The news is a model of frequency exchange between HIV infected people and community.
2. Solution 2: Improve the training quality so that HIV infected people and their relatives have ability to take care of themselves, families and community.
- Active participation of HIV infected people and their family on confirming the training demand, and editing the training manual.
- Practice in class and participate in health – care demonstration at hospital and Health Center.
3. Solution 3: Improve the capacity of people sharing with HIV and directly participating in the project.
- Facilitating two HIV people infected to attend the training course of Community Development in CECEM.
- Facilitating the knowledge and computer skills improvement for HIV infected people in Board of project Manager so that they can skilful use computer and process survey data.
4. Solution 4: Lend some HIV infected households and people required
- Capital supporting the families that have HIV infected people to help them run small business . These supports will be used to sustain activities of the following project.
Directly impacted people:
- about 300 HIV infected people and their families.
- staff and people in the area.
Criteria of project outcomes:
The quantity of HIV infected people and their relatives take part in project.
The quantity of people provides and reads news
The quantity of HIV infected people goes to sub-district health center
The quantity of HIV infected people gives good comments to consultative service and care.
The quantity of families is supported and capital effectively.
The impacts of the project
Economic impacts: Reducing the difficulties for families having HIV infected people.
Social impacts: Mobilizing the community to participate in project, reducing not only the self - discrimination and self-isolated of HIV infected people and their families but the discrimination of towards HIV infected people; facilitate to fight AIDS.
III. Implementation plan
1. Implementation planNo / Activities / Implementation body (italic letters are beneficiaries) / Duration
1 / Establishing the Contacting Board among volunteers to fight AIDS / Board of project Manager, including HIV infected people. / In the first month of project.
2 / Evaluation of the demand and capacity of project participants / Hoan Kiem friend-help-friend Group VICOMC and Hoan Kiem Health Center / In the first month of project.
3 / Making implementation plan and mechanism for coordinating the concerned parties / Board of project manager, including HIV infected people / In first month of project
4 / To train consulting and health care skills to health workers and families having HIV infected people and the Group "friend-help-friend". / Board of project manager, Hoan Kiem group friend-help-friend, families with HIV infected people (80% are beneficiaries) / In second month
5 / HIV infected people and their families consulting & caring at the Center and home. / Sub-district Health Center coordinates with friend-help-friend Group. / From the second month.
6 / Training the interviewing skills for inspectors / Board of project manager, investigators including 50% HIV infected people / Second mouth.
7 / Carrying out interviewing, gather the information monthly and process collected data. / 50% of inspectors are HIV infected people / From second month
8 / Establishing news board and broadcasting news / Board of Manager and Editor including 2 HIV infected people
8 / To train the staff infected with HIV at VICOMC and CECEM / Board of project manager and learners are HIV infected people / From second month
9 / Lending families having people infected in HIV / Board of project manager, Beneficiaries and families with HIV infected people. / From the fourth month
10 / To receive the loan and continue capital recycling / VICOMC and supporting Group. / From the sixth month
11 / Summarizing, evaluating the past 6 months / Board of project manager, including HIV infected people / From the seventh month
12 / Evaluating project outcomes / Board of project manager, including HIV infected people / From the twelfth month
13 / To sustain the activities / Contacting board among volunteers to fight AIDS, including HIV infected people / After ending the project
IV. Beneficiaries and participants
1. Who will benefit from the project and how will these benefits be realized? List the beneficiaries, including males, females and childrenBeneficiaries / Quantity / Responsibility of the Board of project Manager
HIV infected people / Nearly 300 people / Informing – Education - Broadcasting - Consulting and caring at home and at Health Center.
Family with HIV infected people / About 1200 people with 10 to 15 households / Training to improve the knowledge and skills
Ward Health staff participated in project / About 4 to 18 staff / Informing - Education - Broadcasting - Consulting and caring at home and Health Center give a loan.
Public in project area / About 20,000 people / Information - Education - Broadcast
2. Is there any of the beneficiaries involved in asking for fund, planning and designing of the project? Please specify.
- Four HIV infected people: they will participate in understanding of HIV infected people, provide some information related to the status of HIV infected, give out some burning matters then discuss for solution.
- Four staffs from Hoan Kiem district and two wards, Phuc Tan and Hang Trong
- Four staffs from VICOMC.
3. How will the beneficiaries participate in the implementation of the project? (Please see the above- mentioned implementation plan).
4. What will the beneficiaries' future participation when the project completes?
When the project completes, the Hoan Kiem friend-help-friend group has a base of consulting and care knowledge and skills in computer, interviewing and writing. Moreover, there are more and more people aware of its activities through the monthly news. It may be supported by other resources to sustain their activities.