Pio Pico Middle School
1512 S. Arlington Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90019
Dear Parents/ Guardians and Students,
Welcome to Pio Pico Middle School. As your student’s 8th grade teacher, I would like to introduce myself. My name is Mr. Uroza and I will be teaching 8th Grade U.S. History. I am excited to begin this new school year, and I look forward to working with you and your child to create a positive and successful learning experience for all. My expectations for this year, is for students to learn in a safe learning environment.
Contact Information: I can be reached through the school secretary at (323) 735-2665. If you have any concerns or questions regarding your child, please do not hesitate to call the school secretary to set up a conference time and day that is appropriate for you and me. You may also e-mail me at I check my e-mail address on a daily basis.
The Content of the Class:The content of this class will be taken from the California State Standards. The goal of this class is to enable students to understand the development of the United States by examining connections to the past in order to prepare for the future as participating members of a democratic society. Students will examine political, economic, technological, and social developments of the United States from the exploration period through Reconstruction. This includes the impact of expansion on the country’s development; political, social, and economics conflicts; influence of diverse groups on cultural development of the U.S.; and key concepts of the U.S. Constitution and other historical documents.
The Rules of the Class are as Follow:
- Students are to be on time and ready to learn. (On time means in your seat)
- Students are to always listen to the teacher and other adult figures.
- Students are to treat each other as they would like to be treated-with respect.
- Students are not to eat food, chew gum, or drink soda beverages in the class.
- Students are to follow all school rules/policies.
Consequences for Students Breaking the Rules of the Class are as follow:
- Verbal Warning
- Lunch/Nutrition Detention
- Call Home
- After School Detention
- Meeting with Parents
- Counselors Office
Supplies: Students are to have all of their required supplies with them by the second week of class instruction. The following supplies will be needed for this class:
- A 3 Subject notebook *preferred (a 1 subject notebook will not be sufficient for organizational and work purposes)
- Several black and blue pens
- A few #2 pencils
- Optional: Color pencils, sharpener, ruler
Grading: Grades will be calculated in the following manner:
60% - Classwork and Projects
20% - Exams, Quizzes, and Essays
10% - Homework
10% - Participation (speaking in class, working with groups, following instructions)
Each piece of work will be assigned a number of points. Grades will be based on the total number of points earned divided by the total number of points possible (for example, if the total number of points possible is 1000, and you earn 850 points, then your grade will calculated as follows: 850/1000 = 85% = B). Work habits grades will be based on effort, materials, attendance, and compliance with the uniform code. Cooperation grade will be based on behavior, courtesy toward the teacher and fellow classmates, and improvements in academics. The final students’ grades were issued on the traditional scale below:
100% - 90% = A
89% - 80% = B
79% - 70% = C
69% - 65% = D
64% - 50 % = F
How to Help Your Child Succeed in Class
- Ask your child what he/she learned in school. Have him/her teach you that day’s lesson.
- Make sure he/she has a regular time and place to do his/her work.
- Check his/her planner/notebook EVERY evening and verify work was completed
- Make sure that he/she has all their supplies in their backpack.
Compliance: I have read and discussed (translated) this outline to my parent/guardian and indicate our understanding of the course description and requirements by signing below.
Student (print) Parent/Guardian Date