BIOSAFETY INFORMATION SYSTEM
INSTRUCTIONS/USER GUIDE FOR PI’S
A Biosafety Information Online System (BIOS) has now been created enabling you to check all your Genetically Modified (GM) and Wild Type (WTP) projects online. Please check that these projects are still current and that the correct workers and laboratories are listed.
If the PI has changed or is changing/the Department has been renamed or moved location/the project is no longer active you MUST inform Cliona Boyle in Health & Safety IMMEDIATELY() or telephone 0114 22 27469).
If you cannot find a worker when you search, this will mean that they have not completed the GM Health Form and sent it to Staff Occupational Health (this can be found on the department of Health & Safety’s web pages, down the right hand side under ‘downloads’ - This MUST be completed before workers commence work on the project. If you notice workers listed that you know have left the Universityplease contact or telephone 0114 22 27469.
If you cannot find a lab when you search, this will mean that the laboratory has not been passed as safe to use for the work you wish to carry out. Please inform Cliona who will arrange for the laboratory to be inspected – or telephone 0114 22 27469.
If you are revising an already approved proposal, please send an email explaining what the changes are. The document will not be sent to the Committee for approval without this information.
You will note that you can now upload your approved projects on to the system (all recent projects will have already had these attached).
- The database can be found at -
- The first time you login to the database, please use the username and password given to you by your Biological Safety Officer (BSO).
- Click on the button ‘Your Details’ and change your ‘Login ID’ and ‘Password’ (I recommend you change this to your University username and password)
- Enter your email address.
- Click ‘Save’
All new/revised projects must be completed online. All new PI’s must contact Health and Safety in the first instance to be given user rights to the system. See ‘How to Enter/Submit a New/Revised Project’ user guide below.
Once the project has been approved you will be asked to print the Risk Assessment off and obtain the relevant signatures that are requested at the back of the assessment before sending it to:
Biological Safety Officer
Health & Safety
The Arts Tower
Or by email:
PLEASE NOTE THIS INFORMATION MUST BE KEPT UP TO DATE AT ALL TIMES TO ENSURE THE UNIVERSITY’S COMPLIANCE WITH HEALTH AND SAFETY LEGISTLATION
How toEnter/Submit a New/RevisedProject
Before starting - if this project is with a new Principle Investigator (PI), contact Helen Saunders (Ext. 27461) in Health & Safety who will give the PI access rights to the Biosafety Information Online System (BIOS).
1. Go to New Project on main Screen
2. Complete the required information and the ‘Save’. Leave the project number blank unless it is an amendment, if it is an amendment;please ensure that you inform Helen as soon as possible providing her with the original project number, for example GMO2011_20.
3. Once you have pressed save it will take you to the search menu. Search for the new project by entering the proposers name and click on the ‘include non-current projects’ then search. (If you are doing this immediately after saving it you will need to wait about 1 minute for the system to update).
If you have come out of the system and want to go back to complete a part saved project, click on ‘Projects’ in the main menu and search as instructed.
4. A screen like the one below will appear and the new project will say ‘Not Yet Submitted’ under the Project Number.
5. Click on ‘Select’ at the side of the project and then Click on the ‘Edit/View Selected Project’.
- Complete the following screen, if you are happy it is complete, you must have it reviewed by your Departmental Biological Safety Officer. This is done by clicking on ‘RTF version’ saving the document and emailing it to your departmental BSO.
- Once the BSO is happy the form is completed correctly they will complete the Statement from the Biological Safety Officer text box, only the BSO have rights to complete this box and inform the PI.
- The PI can now go into the risk assessment and on ‘Submit Project’.
NOTE IF YOU WANT TO UPLOAD A FILE AND YOU ARE A MAC USER THIS CAN ONLY BE DONE USING FIREFOX AND NOT SAFARI.
M:\SAF_Share\DEPTS\Health & Safety\General Office\Procedures\Biosafety\Biosafety Database\User Guide for PI's - Biosafety Information System.docx