Baie D’Urfe Curling Club
63 Churchill Rd
Baie D’Urfe, Quebec
H9X 3N4, Canada
The idea of a curling club in Baied‟Urfé first occurred in 1954. Charlie Weeks, a town resident and a curler at Town of Mount Royal Curling Club, saw a need for such a club, partly based upon the population increase on the West Island. In March 1957, the club actually began organizing. The official opening took place on February 13, 1960. The Mayor, Tommy Lee, threw the first stone to mark the occasion. There were 250 charter members.
-2008 Provincial Master’s Mens Champions (Skip Dave Martin, Greg Sleno, Geoff Cronk, Christian Gachignard)
-2009-2010 Held the defense of the Quebec Challenge Cup (oldest amateur sporting trophy n North America) through 7 challenges
-2009 Celebrated it’s 50th Anniversary
-2010 Provincial Dominion Women’s Champions (Skip Maureen Horan, Sue Gibson, Joan Davidson, Caroline Thall)
Originally the Club was to built next to the main Highway A-20. As negotiations with the Town and landowners proceeded, a location as part of the Town’s facilities was selected. This also afforded the Club the chance to expand to 4 sheets from the planned 3 sheets. In the end, the expansion was not pursued.
For a 10 year period, Baie d’Urfe Curling Club members put on Broadway – style parodies that were based on popular shows of the time. An example of this is My Fur Lady. These were created, written, scored, and produced by the Club members, and established the Baie d’Urfe Curling Club as the “Social Curling Club” of Montreal.
City: Baie D’Urfe, Quebec – a suburb on the West Island of Montreal, Quebec
Population: 3850 (2011 Census)
Attractions: Aquatic Centre, Tennis Club, Yacht Club, Cultural Centre (Fritz Farm)
Coat of Arms:The coat-of-arms is based on those of François-SaturninLascarisd’Urfé (1641-1701) from whom the Town gets its name.
History:Baie-D'Urfé is named after François-SaturninLascarisd'Urfé, or l'Abbéd'Urfé. He was the community's first pastor, who was sent by the Gentlemen of Saint-Sulpice to serve as a missionary for the parish of Saint-Louis-du-Bout-de-l'Île (which was later renamed in his honour), a small community of settlers, soldiers, traders, and Indians.
The Town of Baie-D’Urfé occupies an area of 6,7 square kilometers along the north shore of Lake Saint-Louis, in the western part of the Island of Montreal. The Town is delimited on the west by the Macdonald College campus in Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue, on the north by the Trans-Canada Highway (40), and on the east by the Beaconsfield town limits. Baie-D’Urfé is crossed by an important east-west road and rail transportation corridor, which includes Highways 20 and 40 as well as the Canadian National and Canadian Pacific Railway railroads which connect Montreal to Ontario and Western Canada. The area south of Highway 20 represents approximately two-thirds of the town’s total area and forms the residential sector of Baie-D’Urfé. The northern third, between Highways 20 and 40, is an industrial park.
(For more info: