Appointment to the Board of Trustees
ARMY TRUSTEE& DEPUTY CHAIRMAN
IWM has traditionally had a Trustee on its Board from each of the three branches of the armed forces. In the new Army Trustee we are also seeking to appoint a strong Deputy Chairman to support the current Vice-President and Chairman, Air Chief Marshal Sir Stuart Peach.
Likely time commitment will be one to two days per month in addition to attending four board meetings per year. Additional time will be required to study papers and reports, and attend events or other representational engagements. As Deputy Chair the Army Trustee will sit on the Remuneration Committee, which meets annually.
The successful candidate for this positionwill be a seniorArmy Officer who will have:
- served or be serving at the most senior level in the Army;
- recent experience of working at a senior level in Whitehall, including working directly with Ministers, senior officials, members of parliament and the media;
- up-to-date contacts in the Army, Ministry of Defence and defence sector;
- an interest in the history of modern conflict and people’s experience of it.
Candidates willalso need to demonstrate
- a knowledge of and commitment to IWM, and support of the purposes and values of the Museum, including its public educational purpose;
- proven ability to take responsibility and demonstrate sound judgement in strategic decision making;
- excellent representational and communication skills;
- a clear understanding of the principles of corporate governance in the public sector;
- the ability to contribute to future policy and strategic developments with innovative thinking
Operational experience of recent conflicts would be an advantage and help to inform our work on contemporary conflict.
The closing date for applications is 12 noon on 7 December 2016
HOW TO APPLY
All candidates must submit a letter of application (of not more than two sides of A4) demonstrating how they meet the requirements for the role, together with a CV, Monitoring Form (Parts 1 and 2), and Declaration of Interests Form.
Completed applications should be sent to: – please put IWM Army Trustee in the subject line.
If you have any questions about the appointments process please contact Stephanie Legg (Public Appointments Adviser) by telephone on 020 7211 2314 or by email at
If you have any questions about the Army Trustee role please contact:
Secretary to the Board
Imperial War Museums
T: 020 7416 5205