World History Lesson Plans September 28 through October 2
Focus-The Middle Ages
UEQ-How did feudalism, the manor economy, and the Church shape life in Western Europe as the region slowly developed a new medieval culture?
See PHSchool.com Web Code nad-0707
Resources to be used with this unit:
Slideshares-Early Middle Ages
The Middle Ages: Introduction
English Medieval Literature
Music Medieval Period-Early Music History Pt. 1
Audio Guided Map Tour: Empire of Charlemagne, 768-843 (Web Code-nap-0711)
Invasions of Europe 700-1000 (Web Code-nap-0712
Introduce Section One
EQ-How did German tribes divide W. Europe into small kingdoms.
ClovisBattle of Toursmedieval
Read Chapter 7, Section One and answer the following questions.
- Why has the Early Middle Ages sometimes been called the Dark Ages?
- Why is this assessment incorrect?
- Describe Western Europe after the collapse of the Western Roman Empire.
- Identify the Germanic tribes that conquered parts of the Roman Empire.
- How did the Germanic culture differ from that of the Romans?
- Who conquered the former Roman province of Gaul in 486?
- What was significant about Clovis’ conversion to Christianity?
- Which religion began on the Arabian Peninsular?
- Why was the Battle of Tours significant?
- How did the Germanic tribes govern their kingdoms?
- Complete the Note-Taking Chart on page 216.
- What did the missi dominici do?
- What curriculum was offered at the PalaceSchool at Aachen?
- Who took the throne after Charlemagne’s death?
- What did the Treaty of Verdun accomplish?
- How would you describe Charlemagne’s legacy?
- Describe the invasions of Europe that took place after Charlemagne’s death.
Homework: Read Section two and define the terms on page. 219
Go over questions completed on Monday
Enrichment: Video documentary-“Age of Charlemagne?
Students will take notes.
Focus: Section Two-How did feudalism and the manor economy emerge and shape medieval life?
Target Term: Feudalism
Slideshare: The Middle Ages-Introduction
Students will take notes
Ask: How did a lord benefit from giving his lands away as fiefs?
What was the relationship between lords and vassals?
Topic-The World of Knights and Nobles
Ask-How would you describe the occupation of a knight?
Infographic: Interactive (Castles) – Web Code-nap-0721
Compare/Contrast: Compare the rights and obligations of noblemen and noblewomen during the Middle Ages.
Ask: How did Eleanor of Acquitaine expand the usual role of medieval women?
Enrichment video:-“Women in Middle Ages”
Chivalry: Explain the code of chivalry.
Topic: How did the Manor System work?
Writing Activity: Choose a group discussed in section two and describe what life was like for them in medieval society. Choose from the following: Lord, Noblewoman, Knight, Peasant (Complete for Homework)
Also do the Online Progress Monitoring: Web Code: naa-0721
Focus: How did the Church play a vital role in medieval life?
Introduce terms on page 225.
Students will read Chapter 7, Section 3 and do the following
- Define/Identify the terms
- Complete the graphic organizer below.