The Priory Federation ofAcademies TrustJob Title:Academy Reading Lead (Librarian) / Pay Scale: SCP 16
37 hours per week, 39 weeks per year.
Normal Place of Work: The Priory Witham Academy / Reports to: SLT with responsibility for English
To support and promote reading across the Academy through the effective management of the Student Resource Centre and working with staff and students to foster a love of reading.
Duties and Responsibilities
To have responsibility for the efficient organisation and management of the library so that it can support the policies and objectives of the Academy.
- To support in the development of reading and to work with staff to promote the climate of reading for pleasure across the whole Academy.
- To be responsible for the administration side of the Accelerated Reader Programme to support reading progress.
- To coordinate the cataloguing, logging and organisation of all resources (linked to reading) appropriate to the learning needs of pupils and staff.
- To liaise with the Lead Practitioner of English and other relevant staff regarding the purchase of books and resources appropriate to the learning needs of pupils and staff.
- To manage the libraries;including the library management system (Eclipse) so that it may be used effectively by both students and staff.
- To provide updates in relation to reading and communicate them effectively across the Academy.
- To maintain a functional relationship withFederation library teams and to exploit the support-services they provide.
- To read with students and support Pupil Support Assistants with reading intervention.
- To collaborate with the appropriate Academy leads for reading to promote extra-curricular opportunities for students that support reading progress;e.g. Book Clubs and support with the collation of the school newsletter.
- To maintain an awareness of developments in professional librarianship through links with the public library serviceand by attendance at training courses.
- To be responsible for the reading environments including: book/reading displays, keeping them relevant and fresh to promote reading and library use.
Such other duties as may be determined from time to time within the generalscope of the post.
Key Organisational Objectives:
The post holder will contribute to the Academy’s objectives in service delivery by:
- Ensuring implementation of the Academy’s policies and procedures as relevant
- Enactment of Health and Safety requirements and initiatives as appropriate
- At all times operating within the Academy’s Equal Opportunities framework
- Ensuring Customer Care and Quality initiatives are adhered to
- Commitment and contribution to improving standards for pupils as appropriate
- Contributing to the maintenance of a caring and stimulating environment for pupils
The post holder will interact professionally with colleagues to ensure understanding and awareness of responsibilities and undergo any relevant training.
To carry out such other duties as may be determined from time to time within the general scope of the post.
Elements of this job description may be changed following consultation with your manager.
The post holder will be expected to develop and maintain good relationships with:
- Head teacher, SLT and all Academy staff
- Parents and Students
- Outside organisations
All employees are required to undergo a one year probationary period, during which suitability for the position is assessed.
HEALTH AND SAFETY
All employees are responsible for reading, understanding and carrying out the requirements of the Academy’s Health and Safety policy and for informing a relevant person if they become aware of any non-compliance with the policy or of any identified training needs.
HOURS OF WORK
The Academy day is between 8.00am and 6.00pm and you will be required to work between these hours as arranged with your Manager.
CONTINUAL PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
The Academy requires individuals to identify and analyse their own training and development needs and to actively participate in the design of a development plan to meet these needs and the needs of the Academy. This may be achieved through an appraisal process.
The post holder should recognise and take advantage of development opportunities and should periodically review their own progress towards meeting previously agreed goals.
CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
Governed by the National Agreement on Pay and Conditions of Service, supplemented by local conditions as adopted.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
The post holder may be required to work outside of normal Academy hours on occasion, with due notice.
Person Specification – LibrarianEssential /
Desirable/ How assessed*
GCSE or equivalent in English and Maths/
A level English qualification /
Professional qualification in librarianship, information management or information science / / AF / Cert
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
(UP TO DATE/ CURRENT)Recent and relevant experience of working in a library or information centre. / / AF / IV
Experience of working in a customer service environment. / / AF / IV
Recent and relevant experience of working with school age students / / AF / IV
Recent knowledge of Child Protection and Safeguarding. /
SKILLS AND ABILITIESThe ability to manage and disseminate information in a range of different media / / AF / IV
Excellent oral and communication skills. / / AF / IV
Ability to use IT at a level commensurate with job role. / / AF / IV
Budget management skills / / AF / IV
Learning support skills / / AF / IV
Commitment to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of students / / AF / IV
Professional and responsive attitude and behaviour towards colleagues and clients. / / AF / IV
Must accept and actively support the Federation’s agreed values. / / AF / IV
*Key to how skills are assessed:
AF =Skill assessed via application form
IV =Skill assessed via interview
AT =Skill assessed via test/work-related task
Cert = Certificate checked at interview
Page 1 of 4