GOSFORD HILL SCHOOL
HEALTH AND SAFETY MANAGER AND EDUCATIONAL VISITS MANAGER
Job purpose:To co-ordinate the planning and administration ofall Health and Safety programmes
To co-ordinate the planning and administration of all Educational Visits
Responsible to:Business Manager
Hours: 27.5 hours a week - 8.30 am to 14.20 pm Monday to Friday, including a 20 minute unpaid break.
39 weeks -Term time and INSET days; some school holiday working may be required. One year temporary contract.
Salary:Grade 9, Scale point 29 to 32, £25,440 to £27,924 per annum pro rata
HEALTH AND SAFETY MANAGER
- Keeping up-to-date with H&S legislation and best practice advice; this will include continual monitoring of the HSE and Oxfordshire County Council’s web-site as well as information published by relevant government agencies.
- Advising the Business Manager and Headteacher of statutory requirements and best practice.
- Maintain a list of all required Health and Safety Policies.
- In liaison with the Business Manager, regular review and updating of Gosford Hill School’s Health and Safety policies, procedures and reference materials.
Safety Management System
- Ensure that Health and Safety policies and procedures and policies are available to all staff.
- Liaison with Oxfordshire County Council’s Health and Safety and Oxfordshire Fire & Rescue Service advisers, facilitating their regular inspections and ensuring their findings are appropriately followed up.
- Ensuring that Health and Safety Audit Reports are actioned appropriately, including monitoring of Faculty reviews.
- Associate member of the Governors’ Finance and Resources Committee, reporting on Health and Safety matters.
- Complete four site tours with the Associate member in an academic year and provide report and action plan to Finance and Resources Committee.
Competency and Training
- Prepare and maintainFaculty training matrixes to ensure that relevant Health & Safety specialist training is up to date and arrange courses as appropriate. For example, Health & Safety specialist training for individuals including Refresher Level 2 Teacher trampoline training, DATA registered abrasive Wheels training, First Aid training (3 day and 1 day), Minibus assessments.
- Regular review and updating of Fire Safety, First AidandGeneric Risk Assessments.
- Monitoring others' completion of Faculty, Trip and Specialist Risk Assessments.
- Follow up Occupational Healthreports as required with appropriate risk assessments.
- Complete assessments for specific staff who are at risk, for example pregnant staff.
- Complete specific student assessments for those who are injured either in school or from outside and have returned to school with fractured limbs in regard to Health and Safety.
- Assisting staff with specific risk assessments for classes that have higher risk pupils.
- Preparing reports to ensure that information on students with specific allergies is given to the canteen, D& T and Science.
First Aid (Appointed Person)
- Regularly review and update lists of First Aiders and display around the site.
- Ensure First Aid kits and equipmentare replenished and in date.
- Respond to First Aid needs for students and staff as required.
- Ensure Fire Safety Folder is complete and up to date.
- Complete annual risk assessment of the buildings and prepare action plans for Business Manager, Site Manager and Faculty Leaders.
- Report defects to Site team or Business Manager.
Critical Incident Plan
- Ensure that all staff are aware of the Critical Incident Plan.
- Regular review and updating of the Critical Incident Plan and associated materials.
- Ensure that the signed copy of the Critical Incident Plan is filed safely and an electronic copy is stored on the admin shared drive for staff to access.
Emergency evacuation procedures
- Ensure that all staff are aware of the Emergency Evacuation Procedures.
- In liaison with the Business Manager schedule and record emergency evacuation exercises.
- Regular review and updating of the Emergency Procedures including feedback from all staff after an emergency evacuation is carried out.
- Collate data of SEN students and those with specific needs to create an individual PEEP, ensuring it is updated, signed, disseminated to appropriate staff and that a copy is in the Fire Safety folder.
Accident and Incident Reporting (RIDDOR)
- Following up incidents, including the use of CCTV.
- Completion, processing and monitoring of Accident Reports, including liaison with Oxfordshire County Counciland the Health and Safety Executive.
- Collation of evidence in the event of an insurance claim.
Driving and Traffic
- Deal with minibus queries and investigate legalities of usage of the minibus.
- Organise Section 19 permits for use in the bus.
- Collating and updating records of staff driving licences and minibus assessments.
Advice on Facilities Health & Safety Issues
- In liaison with the Business Manager, Site Manager, ICT Manager and Catering Manager, ensure that the records are up to date on the following matters: Display Screen Equipment; PAT Testing; Water Hygiene; Security; Chemical Safety (COSHH); Waste Management; Energy; Asbestos Safety; Hygiene Standards; Catering / Food Hygiene; Management of Contractors; and CCTV.
EDUCATIONAL VISITS MANAGER
- Regularly review planned Educational Visits with Business Manger;
- In liaison with the Business Manager and the EVC/SLT Link, ensure that all Educational Visits follow the correct procedures and that they are planned in line with national guidance and GHS’ policies;
- Refer all Category C visits to the EVC/SLT Link for approval at least two months before the Educational Visit;
- Provide guidelines to all Visit Staff on the administration of Educational Visits in line with the legislation and policies listed at the end of this policy;
- Support the Visit Leader in identifying the purpose of the Educational Visit and the selection, training and briefing of appropriate Visit Staff;
- Bring to the attention of Visit Leaders the need for effective and robust safeguarding measures, applicable to both students and Visit Staff;
- Ensure the procedure for dealing with emergency situations, including having a named School-Based Contact for each Educational Visit, is in place and that the Visit Leader and Visit Staff know and understand the emergency procedure;
- Prepare First Aid kits and emergency mobile phones for the Visit Leader, including any other item of equipment that may be required for the journey;
- Compile Educational VisitInformationBooklet for distribution to EVC/SLT Link and Visit Leader, including emergency contact details, information of the hostel, signed risk assessments, insurance information, passenger lists, TVP;
- Ensure that students have appropriate passport information to ensure the right to travel abroad with or without a visa;
- Ensure that student medical needs have beenconsidered and that any provision, such as training for the administration and carrying of a controlled substance abroad, is appropriately dealt with and covered by insurance;
- Creation and provision of emergency cards converted into the native language, which may include food allergy advice, in consultation with students and parents;
- Maintain records and make reports of ‘incidents’ or ‘accidents’; and
- Update quarterly statements to Endsleigh Insurance on Educational Visit.
Support for the School:
- Attend regular Whole School and team meetings as part of the Business team
- Undertake appraisal, training and mentoring
- Be aware of and comply with policies and procedures relating to child protection, health and safety, security and confidentiality, reporting all concerns to an appropriate person.
- Contribute to the overall ethos/work/aims of the School.
- To work flexibly with the Line Manager concerning work time arrangements
- Other administrative duties as required by the Business Manager.
Health and safety responsibilities:
It is the responsibility of every employee to co-operate with their employer to ensure the effective discharge of health and safety responsibilities. As an employee you are expected to:
-To be part of and promote a positive and pro-active health and safety culture;
-Undertake necessary health and safety training;
-Ensure you are familiar and comply with the School’s health and safety policies and procedures;
-Ensure risk assessments in accordance with School procedures are undertaken to reduce risks to a level that is as low as is reasonably practicable. This must consider hazards to both employees, clients and others who use our services;
-Follow all appropriate safety instructions and use safety equipment provided;
-Ensure your work is carried out with due regard for the health and safety of yourself and others (employees, service users, carers, public etc.);
-Support your line manager in the delivery of good health and safety practice and the minimising of risks;
-Ensure you draw to managers attention health and safety problems or deficiencies in the workplace; and
-Ensure safety events (accidents, incidents and near misses) are reported with a view to preventing a recurrence.
Signed: ……………………………Date:………………………….. Line Manager:……………….
GOSFORD HILL SCHOOL
HEALTH AND SAFETY MANAGER AND EVC MANAGER
PERSON SPECIFICATIONEssential / Desirable / Method of assessment
Level 3/4 qualification in Occupational or Applied Health and Safety;
Educational Visits Co-ordinator training / / / AF/ C
Experience of working in a multi-disciplined site
Experience of working in an educational environment / / / AF/I/R
Effective written and spoken communicator
Good spoken and written English
Microsoft Excel and Word
Organised and methodical
High level of accuracy and attention to detail
Problem solving and logical thinking
Tactful approach /
Communication: the ability to communicate effectively with other staff, students and parents
Motivation: to have an enthusiasm to perform the role well and to the best of your ability
Initiative: the ability to deal with issues as they arise
Team work: the ability to work flexibly as part of a team
Change: willingness to learn new and changing systems /
A good record of attendance
Adaptable and enthusiastic
Honesty and discretion
Commitment to professional development
Ability to cope under pressure /
AF – Application form
I – Interview
R – References