Procedures for Conducting a Functional BehaviorAssessment(FBA)
- The purpose of this assessment is to conduct an environmental survey, defining situations and / or patterns of pervasive problematic behavioral and/or discipline issues because:
- The student is going through a Manifestation Hearing and has never had an FBA or
- The student is experiencing chronic behavioral problems and not responding to routine interventions( See Re-eval Review Procedures and Special Review Procedures)
- The IEP Team convenesa Re-evaluation Review / Special Review meeting to review the behavioral concerns and /or disciplinary offense, previous referrals/offenses, student’s last evaluation, grades, attendance, schedule and current IEP.
- The Functional Behavior Assessment is completed by the IEP Team – lead by the Psychologist, reviewing teacher data checklists SPE 76 a, b, c and answering all questions.
- Antecedents, triggers, and trendsare identified.
- Frequency, duration, magnitude and location are outlined.
- Involve the student, as much as possible, in this process. ( Ex: Interview student)
- Student Driven Process…..”P.A.R.”
Problem (student identifies)
Action ( student develops plan to correct problem)
Reflection ( student has time to journal / write about behavioral episode and amend plan of action
- ExcentNotifications/Responses (1st & 2nd )
- Notice / Consent for Re-evaluation
- Excent Functional Behavior Assessment (FBA)
- Excent Behavior Intervention Plan (BIP)
- Amended IEP Cover Page, Signature Page and any other
Additions / deletions made to the IEP
- SPE 20Monitoring Checklist
- SPE 21Minutes/PWN
- SPE 26aStatus Sheet
- SPE 76 a,b,cFBA Environmental Survey - Teacher Checklist/Team Review
- SPE 77-1Re-evaluation Review Form
- Case manager distributes the SPE 76 a/b FBA Checklists to all the student’s teachers 1 week before the meeting, so they have their data prepared at the meeting.
- Case manager chairs the meeting with administrator,psychologist, guidance, parents, regular ed teacher(s) and student to review the student’s behavior and /or disciplinary offense.
- The IEP Team, with the psychologist as the lead, reviews the teacher’s responses to the a/b Checklist.
- The team then answers the questions in the EXCENT Functional Behavior Assessment Form. (Student participation encouraged, when age appropriate))
- Student is actively involved in the process. ( Identify Problem Behavior; Develop Action Plan to Correct Behavior; Reflect in Writing if Behavior Continues)
- All members of the IEP Team sign the FBA.
- The next step is to write a newEXCENT Behavior Intervention Plan. ( BIP)
- Amend IEP: Present Levels of Performance – Functional Section; Add behavioral goals and benchmarks; decide how to measure / document progress.
- Send All Originals of Invitations / Responses,20, 21, 26, 75, 77, 78 to the special services secretary within 2 weeks of the meeting date.. Your school attendance secretary should also receive a copy of SPE 26a for EFA changes.