Job JOB PROFILE
Job Title / Digital communications volunteer
Reporting to / Communications Manager
Doctors of the World UK is part of the global Médecins du Monde network, which delivers over 400 projects in more than 80 countries through 3,000 volunteers.
Our vision is of a world in which vulnerable people affected by war, natural disasters, disease, hunger, poverty or exclusion get the healthcare they need.
Through our health programmes and advocacy we work to ensure excluded people overcome barriers to realising their right to healthcare. Since opening in the UK in 1998, we’ve raised £8m for overseas programmes, helped 7,000 service users here and fought for healthcare as a human right for all.
We work with and for:
»people in crisis, providing life-saving humanitarian healthcare in times of war and after natural disasters
»vulnerable migrants, including by advocating for the right to healthcare across Europe
»people at risk of harm, especially from HIV and AIDS or hepatitis C, such as drug users and sex workers
»women and girls’ right to sexual and reproductive health
The digital communications volunteer will work with the communications team to make sure our website and social media are kept up to date with fresh and interesting content, as well as other important communications-related tasks. It’s an excellent opportunity for someone who wants to get hands-on experience working on integrated media and digital campaigns in the charity sector.
- Playing a key role in the day-to-day running of our social media, particularly Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube. Sourcing and writing fresh, engaging content that will grow our audiences.
- Helping to maintain our website:writing and editing new content and ensuring existing content is up to date and accurate.
- Occasionally writing and editing copy for print and digital publications.
- Sourcing and uploading text, images and media content.
- Assisting with communications research and other cross-department projects as needed.
- Managing a Google AdWords campaign
- Familiarity with constantly evolving digital media platforms and technologies, with some previous work experience in a digital communications role.
- IT and web savvy, including experience of working with a CMS.
- Digital design skills and ability to create infographics.
- Strong, demonstrable communication and organisation skills, with excellent written English.
- The ability to prioritise multiple tasks to tight deadlines.
- Solid understanding of how to grow social media audiences and report on social media analytics.
- Passion for media and communications as well as an interest in healthcare, international development and the principles of Doctors of the World.
- Ability to write high quality, engaging written copy for internal and external publications such as press releases, blogs, news updates and social media posts.
- Basic image editing skills.
- Awareness of search engine optimisation and experience of using Google Analytics.
- Ability to interview people and write case studies.
- Experience of managing a Google AdWords campaign..
- Knowledge of audio editing.
- Communications/Journalism-related degree.
- French language skills.