OCTOBER 21, 2015
MEETING BEGAN: 5:09
* Review of minutes from Sept. and May
* Motion to approve minutes:
- Mrs. Butkis
- Ms. Syeda 2nd
* Proposed SACC meeting dates
* FSA (FLORIDA STANDARD ASSESSMENT)
last year, it replaced FCAT in reading writing and math; FCAT still in place for Science in fifth grade
*Child Safety Matters Program at SGE
OCTOBER SACC BEGINS:
- explained ELA score. On FSA, there will be a change in scoring procedure. Schools are waiting for approval before releasing scores to the public. There will most likely be a change in leveling system in regards to new assessment.
At SAWGRASS 24% of our kids fell in bottom quartile (25%) and 32% were in the highest quartile.
Why the discrepancy?
- 1st time children took the new test
- Test was on computer
- ESE and ESL students were included in score
At Sawgrass, nearly ALL students at SGE will receive regular diploma (with the exception of 3 students). Mr. Roberts states it is important for all students to receive a “regular” diploma to be competitive in today’s economy.
SAWGRASS quartile percentage scores are more on par with the rest of schools in our area.
17% of our students scored in the bottom quartile, 36% in top quartile
- CHILD SAFETY MATTERS PROGRAM at Sawgrass
Program areas to be addressed with the program:
Child abuse, bullying/cyberbulling, digital dangers and safety
QUESTION: (Ms. Markos): Will children be taught that adults are also helpers? Concerned that kids will only be taught that adults are harmful.
RESPONSE (Mr. Roberts) Information will be sent home about program; slide show will be available for public perusal.
- GO MATH: MATH ON THE SPOT
A program for parents to assist kids with math skills at home.
*Mrs. Perry will send home information about the program as well as website address.
*No passwords are required.
*Linked to the textbook lessons.
AMENTO: nominated SAC chair: Ms. Finkel
2nd the motion: McPherson, 3rd: Smolich
Approve minutes May 2015: unanimous approved.
SAC dates approval: motion to approve, approved as read, seconded and agreed.
QUESTION: (Ms. Markos) There may be a date conflict including Dec 9 through May.
RESPONSE: Proposal for time of meetings: some meetings in the morning, some at night
There was a unanimous decision to have only AFTERNOON meetings. Ms. Finkel will table any unfinished business until the next meeting if not addressed by 6:P.M.
- SIP 2015-16
To create, data from previous year is analyzed to create a plan on how to improve areas of deficit.
Amendments: Premade bi-laws in Broward
- Length of term: 1 year, unanimous consent
- One chairperson: unanimous consent
- Officers chosen at AUGUST meeting. Mrs. Amento suggested to move officer selection to SEPTEMBER meeting; unanimous consent.
- Officers will be installed at 1st meeting: unanimous consent
Ms. Markoff requested a copy of assessment for accreditation.
GOOD OF THE GROUP
Painting the school: will take up to 3 more weeks. Mr. Roberts is asking for patience.
5:50 MEETING ADJOURNED
Minutes by Lisa Smolich