The next chapter we will be learning about 4 different organic compounds found in our bodies called “Macromolecules”. These compounds include carbohydrates, lipids, proteins, and nucleic acids. Today we will be using a variety of resources to learn about each of the four organic compounds. Follow the directions carefully to make sure that you complete each step of the webquest. If you have a question or a problem with the computer/website, please ask for help!!
Go to the following website and read the article about carbohydrates. When you are done reading the article, answer the questions below…
1. What is the main purpose of carbohydrates in our bodies? (1 pt)
2. What types of food can we eat to obtain carbohydrates? (1 pt)
3. What are the 3 types of carbohydrates? Explain each one and give an example of food you can eat that contains each type. (3 pts)
4. Why can low-carb diets be harmful to your body? Explain. (2 pts)
Part 1- Go to the following website to read about lipids and answer the following questions.
5. What are lipids? What substances are considered to be lipids? (2 pts)
6. What are steroids? What can they do to you? (2 pts)
7. What is a triglyceride? What are the two parts that make up a triglyceride? (3 pts)
Part 2- Watch the following video about Trans fats and answer the questions.
8. What are trans fats and how are they made? (2 pts)
9. Why are trans fats bad for you? (2 pts)
10. What is HDL? What is LDL? What do trans fats do to the levels of each? (3 pts)
Go to the following website to read about protein and answer the following questions…
11. What are proteins made up of? (1 pt) ______
12. How many amino acids are there? How many of them can we make?
13, What is an essential amino acid? How do we get them? (2 pts)
14. How do vegetarians get all of the amino acids they need? (1 pt) ______
13. What is YOUR recommended daily allowance of protein (do and show the math!)? (2 pts)______
D. Nucleic Acids!
Go to the following website. Read about nucleic acids and answer the questions.
14. What is the purpose of nucleic acids? (1 pt)
15. Name the 2 major types of nucleic acids (1 pts) ______
16. What is the specific name for the building blocks of nucleic acids?(1 pt) ______
YOU ARE NOW FINISHED…the following link is no longer available!
Macromolecule Virtual Lab Experiment-
Go to the following website and follow the directions while answering the questions
Step 1. Scroll to the bottom where you see where it says “carbohydrates, proteins, lipids etc.”
Step 2. You will be testing for sugars and starches under the first tab titled “carbohydrates”. Click on “add benedict’s” observe the color. Then click on “hot water bath”. Any substance that changed colors contains Glucose, a simple carb. List those substances here (1 pt) ______
Step 3. Go to the pull down menu on the top right that says “test for sugars” and change it to “test for starches”. Read about starches. Click the “add iodine” button. List the substances that contain starch here (1 pt) ______
Step 4. Click the “Proteins” tab. Read about proteins. Click the “add biuret” button. Record the substances that contain protein here (1 pt) ______
Step 5. Click the “Lipids” tab. Read about lipids. Click the “add sudan III” button. Record the substances that contain lipids here (1 pt) ______
Step 6. Click the “Everyday foods” tab. Go through each test for each substance. Click next to where it says “gelatin” to change substances. Which substances tested positive for each of the following… (2 pts)
Questions on Lab: (you may need to refer back to the information tabs for each macromolecule to answer the following questions)
1. What does iodine test for? (1 pt) ______
2. Give an example of a simple sugar. (1 pt) ______
3. What is a “polysaccharide”? (1 pt) ______
4. What are the 2 functions of proteins? (2 pts) ______
5. Which macromolecule DIDN’T we test for in this lab? (1 pt) ______