JOB TITLE:Medical Secretary
JOB TITLE:Medical Secretary
1 | Page
REPORTS TO:Practice Manager
ACCOUNTABLE TO:The GP Partners and Practice Manager
FLEXIBILITY:Kensington Street Health Centre:
Evening clinics on Wednesday: 08:00 to 20:00
Mughal Medical Centre:
Evening clinics on Thursday: 08:00 to 20:45
Our branch surgeriesare: Lower Grange Medical Centre, Mughal Medical Centre and Woodroyd Medical Practice
You need to be flexible as you may be asked to work at the other sites
SALARY:Salary will be negotiable (depending on experience)
HOURS:25hrs per week, afternoon working hours 12:00 – 17:00 or 13:00 – 18:00 (Monday-Friday)
BRANCH LOCATION:Woodroyd Medical Practice
You will be part of adynamic and forward thinking team providing support in a Primary Health Care setting. To be providing support to all patients and demonstrating a professional disposition at all times.
The post-holder is a key member of the Secretarial team. The main focus of the job will be to provide secretarial support to the GP’s and Clinical teams with particular responsibility for digital/audio typing of clinical letters, general copy typing of correspondence. To provide a specialised, comprehensive and confidential patient-centred clinical administration and secretarial to GP’s and clinical teams in accordance within the Practices are carried out accurately and in a timely fashion adhering to the guidelines and policies.
The duties and responsibilities to be undertaken by Medical Secretaryinclude all of the items in the following list. Duties may be varied from time to time under the direction of the Practice Manager.
It is your responsibility to ensure that the following points are carried out effectively
- To provide an efficient audio-typing and MS office skills for GP Partners and other Health Professionals as required. To cover a range of work including the typing of letters, reports, patient referrals, etc. in an accurate and quality manner.
- To select referral forms within SystmOne and ensure that the GP agrees to and signs off the forms in a timely manner.
- To make GP / Nursing appointments, bookings, admissions and arrange transport or ambulances as required.
- To establish and maintain filing and administrative systems so that written or computer information is easily accessible and secure.
1 | Page
- To deal with telephone calls in order to facilitate timely and appropriate communication, taking messages and deal with appropriate queries.
- Telephone calls to patients to communicate messages from clinicians such as blood and radiology results, asking to make routine appointments etc.
- To assist with the gathering of statistics and information when required.
- Referral output using Choose and Book where applicable.
- Monitor the incoming post and ensure that correct distribution is initiated.
- Managing tasks and workloads in an effective manner.
- Attend and take minutes for clinical meetings.
- A high level of IT skills is essential for this post due to the level of expertise that is required using SystmOne and Microsoft Word.
- To provide cross site cover in adverse staffing situations across all 4 sites.
- To provide cover for members of the secretarial team during periods of sickness and annual leave.
This job description is not exhaustive and may be adjusted periodically according to practice needs and requirements. You will be expected to carry out any duties which may be requested from time to time.
- In the course of seeking treatment, patients entrust us with, or allow us to gather, sensitive information in relation to their health and other matters. They do so in confidence and have the right to expect that staff will respect their privacy and act appropriately.
- In the performance of the duties outlined in this Job Description, the post-holder may have access to confidential information relating to patients and their carers, Practice staff and other healthcare workers. They may also have access to information relating to the Practice as a business organisation. All such information from any source is to be regarded as strictly confidential.
- Information relating to patients, carers, colleagues, other healthcare workers or the business of the Practice may only be divulged to authorised persons in accordance with the Practice policies and procedures relating to confidentiality and the protection of personal and sensitive data.
Health & Safety:
The post-holder will assist in promoting and maintaining their own and others’ health, safety and security as defined in the Practice Health & Safety Policy, to include:
- Using personal security systems within the workplace according to Practice guidelines.
- Identifying the risks involved in work activities and undertaking such activities in a way that manages those risks.
- Making effective use of training to update knowledge and skills.
- Using appropriate infection control procedures, maintaining work areas in a tidy and safe way and free from hazards.
- Reporting potential risks identified.
- We promote a non smoking environment and we do not permit smoking on our premises.
Equality and Diversity:
The post-holder will support the equality, diversity and rights of patients, carers and colleagues, to include:
- Acting in a way that recognizes the importance of people’s rights, interpreting them in a way that is consistent with Practice procedures and policies, and current legislation.
- Respecting the privacy, dignity, needs and beliefs of patients, carers and colleagues.
- Behaving in a manner which is welcoming to and of the individual, is non-judgmental and respects their circumstances, feelings priorities and rights.
The post-holder will participate in any training programme implemented by the Practice as part of this employment, such training to include:
- Participation in an annual individual appraisals review, including taking responsibility for maintaining a record of own personal and/or professional development.
- Taking responsibility for own development, learning and performance and demonstrating skills and activities to others who are undertaking similar work.
- Willingness to undertake any training in line with this post.
- Ability to cross cover in other areas of work to support the team.
- Team work: it is essential that having a pro-active disposition is maintained in this position.
- Time management skills: the ability to prioritise the workload is essential.
The post-holder will strive to maintain quality within the Practice, and will:
- Alert other team members to issues of quality and risk.
- Assess own performance and take accountability for own actions, either directly or under supervision.
- Contribute to the effectiveness of the team by reflecting on own and team activities and making suggestions on ways to improve and enhance the team’s performance.
- Work effectively with individuals in other agencies to meet patients’ needs.
- Effectively manage own time, workload and resources.
The post-holder should recognise the importance of effective communication within the team and will strive to:
- Communicate effectively with other team members.
- Communicate effectively with patients and carers.
- Recognise people’s needs for alternative methods of communication and respond accordingly.
Contribution to the Implementation of Services:
The post-holder will:
- Apply Practice policies, standards and guidance.
- Discuss with other members of the team how the policies, standards and guidelines will affect own work.
- Participate in audit where appropriate.
1 | Page
Person Specification – Job Title: Medical Secretary
Branch Location: Woodroyd MedicalCentreCriteria / Essential / Desirable
Education and Training /
- 5 GCSE (or equivalent) one of which to be English Grade C or above
- AMSPAR/Medical Terminology
- ECDL or equivalent qualifications or experience
- NVQ 2 Business Administration
- NVQ Customer Service
- RSA Level 3 Word Processing
- Evidence of ongoing commitment to training
Knowledge and Experience /
- An understanding of a General Practice Environment
- Experience of customer service
- Ability to work on own initiative and as a team member
- Working knowledge of Microsoft i.e. Word/Excel/Outlook
- Previous Medical Secretary experience
- Experience of working within a General Practice environment with SystmOne Clinical System
- Audio Skills
- Ability to use Choose and Book
- Excellent communication skills (Written and Oral)
- IT skills
- Time Management and the ability to work to deadlines
- Negotiation and conflict management
- Problem solving skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Ability to communicate effectively within a multi-disciplinary team/with all levels of staff, via telephone, email, face to face and team meetings.
- Interpreting skills
- Car user with clean licence
- Reliable and flexible
- Positive attitude
- Ability to cover staff sickness and holidays
- Calm disposition
- Team Player
- Helpful and friendly attitude
- Ability to recognise & adhere to the need for strict confidentiality
- Willing to participate in Practice training and an ongoing development programme
- Able to perform duties and responsibilities in the work location with reasonable adjustment where appropriate under provision of the Disability Discrimination Act
Equal Opportunities /
- Acceptance of and committed to the principals of equal rights and opportunities