Goodwill Industries of South Mississippi, Inc.
Department: FinancePosition Status: Full-time
Reports To:Chief Executive OfficerFLSA: Exempt
Date Written:Date Revised: 12/12/2017
Goodwill Industries of South Mississippi seeks to play a pivotal role in building and harnessing the community’scollective energy, determination, commitment and resources to make SouthMississippi a healthy and thriving community for all its residents to live, learn, work and raise afamily.Through the goodwill of others, we create the pathway to a better future for all by helping those who desire self-sufficiency. Our core values are Passion, Respect, Integrity, Dedication, and Excellence (PRIDE).
The Controller is responsible for providing leadership and coordinating the company’s accounting operations, including government grant accounting, financial reporting, tax return preparation and payroll administration functions. Includes the production of monthly and year-end financial reports, maintenance of a sound system of accounting records, and a comprehensive set of internal controls designed to mitigate risk, enhance the accuracy of the company’s reported financial results, and ensure that reported results comply with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
The Controller will be a servant leader who genuinely cares about staff, volunteers and all people in our community and will be expected to:
-Build a Culture of PRIDE. Maintains high standards of Passion, Respect, Integrity, Determination, & Excellence
-Deliver Results. Builds a high performance environment focused on achieving or exceeding goals.
-Develop & Manage People Effectively. Establishes a team in which people are motivated to excel.
-Focus on the Customer. Committed to continuously improve service to customers / clients.
-Understand the Business. Leverages knowledge of the business, vision & mission to achieve results.
-Model Personal Leadership. Is a role model; Leads by example.
Essential Job Functions
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of the accounting department to ensure a) the timeliness and accuracy of financial reporting and b) the integrity of accounting systems and controls in accounts payable, billing and accounts receivable, payroll, general ledger, account reconciliation, government grant accounting, fund accounting, revenue accounting, cash recording and reconciliation, and fixed assets.
- Design, implement and maintain an organizational structure and staffing to effectively accomplish the department’s goals and objectives.
- Ensure that the daily financial and accounting functions performed by staff are in strict accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and with all other applicable accounting, and regulatory rules for nonprofit IRS 501(c)(3) organizations.
- Maintain accurate and complete accounting records and prepare and issue monthly and year-end financial statements.
- Working with CEO to ensure Chart of Accounts is robust and aligned with all internal and external reporting requirements.
- Prepare monthly financial reports and annual reports as required by Goodwill Industries International (“GII”).
- Prepare all external reports as required by federal, state, and local government agencies.
- Assist the CEO in preparing the annual budget for the agency and integrating it into the financial reporting system; help identify, analyze, and explain variances between actual financial results and budget on an on-going basis.
- Manage the implementation of operational policies, procedures and internal controls that safeguard agency assets and ensure timely and accurate financial reporting.
- Coordinate the annual financial audit by of the Agency’s public accounting firm, including providing required schedules, reports, account analyses, documents, and files needed for the audit.
- Ensure grant accounting and billings are in full compliance with contracts; coordinate fiscal program audits with external auditors.
- Maintain documentation in accordance with Agency policies; provide appropriate storage and retention of accounting records, documents, agreements, schedules, and reports.
- Oversee the Payroll Administration function, ensuring payroll is processed in a timely manner with the accurate recording of wages and benefits.
- Coordinate the annual physical inventory count across all retail and production facilities, as needed.
- Manage the accounting staff, including recruiting, supervising, cross-training, developing, coaching and evaluating staff to enhance individual and team morale and performance.
- Work closely with the VP of IT to identify and implement enabling technology to improve overall controls and operating efficiencies within the accounting department.
- Research new processes, procedures, and methods to provide better and more cost-effective finance support and service to the Agency.
- Prepare annual Federal and State tax returns on an accurate and timely basis.
- Manage the Agency’s banking relationships for all accounts, company credit cards, loan transactions, and investments.
- Perform additional duties as assigned by the CEO.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Solid knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting and cost control principles including Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Knowledge of automated financial and accounting reporting systems.
- Knowledge of federal, state and local government financial and reporting regulations.
- Ability to analyze financial data and prepare financial reports and disclosures.
- Professional written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- An outstanding leader of uncompromising integrity and ethics along with the necessary credibility, expertise, and experience required to lead the Accounting Department forward in a successful manner.
- Ability to motivate teams to produce quality materials within tight timeframes.
- A high degree of business judgment and a solid understanding of operations.
License and Education
- CPA Required
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Business, or related field is required
Equal Opportunity Employer
It is our policy to employ qualified persons without regard for race, creed, color, national origin, nationality, ancestry, age, sex, marital or domestic partnership status, sexual orientation or disability. Individuals are considered for employment, promotion, or training solely on their ability to perform the essential functions of the position.
Acknowledgement of Position
I acknowledge that this job description serves only as a guideline for the duties required of my position, and that job duties are subject to change, as the organization deems necessary.
Employee (Please Print) ______Date ______
Employee Signature ______Date ______
Supervisor Signature ______Date ______
Please give employee a copy