Chairman: Kevin Davies - 07768 372 969

Vice Chair:Andy Forster – 07717 045 552

Secretary:Denise Hodge – 07702 446 333

Treasurer:Ken Jeffery - 01803 605975

Ordinary Meeting

Exeter Saracens RFC on Monday 5th September 2011


Crediton RFC, Honiton RFC, Andy Forster, Terry Friend

There was a distinct lack of number attending due to a clash with a coaches evening at Exeter Chiefs.


Minutes from the last meeting were approved. Proposed by Nigel Middleton and seconded by Andrew Woodgates.


Nothing to discuss


It was felt that the last meeting went on for too long and was not constructive and there is a need to be more efficient.

It has been requested that officers of this committee submit their reports to Kevin Davis and Denise Hodge at least one week before the meeting date so that they can be distributed out to club representatives. Any questions that a club may have should be put in writing to Kevin Davies and Denise Hodge so the relevant committee member can answer. This in turn will lead to a speedier meeting with an allocation of 10-15mins per report given at the meeting.


Attached to these minutes is the new 2011/12 cencus form, could all clubs please make sure that this is completed and returned before the next meeting.

There is also a new email address for the Devon Junior Secretary

Any Club wishing to hold a junior festival next season should send the nominations to the Devon Jnr Chair and Secretary. Remember you can only hold a festival if your club holds the Seal of Approval.


Nothing to report from the Treasurer, but Kevin Davies will get more information from him in reference to the small deficit that shows for the Devon RFU Junior Section.


For those of you who do not know me. I am Elaine Palmer your Devon Safeguarding Manager. I have held the post now for almost 12 months and am gradually getting things together.

My first task this year is to try and get a comprehensive list together of all your contact details so that it will be easier for me to keep you all informed about what is happening on the Safeguarding front with regards to Rugby Union.
First of all I would like to ask that if you are not your Clubs Safeguarding Officer could you please forward this email on to the correct person and copy me in so that I can add their details to my list and delete yours.
Attached you will find a copy of my report which I presented at the Devon Mini and Junior Meeting held last Monday at Exeter Saracens. You will see from the report that the Twickenham Safeguarding Team is visiting Devon on the 19th October at Okehampton RFC. The evening will start at 7pm with a small finger buffet, with the official meeting starting at 7.30pm which should finish at about 9 - 9.30pm. It is very important that every club is represented at this meeting so if you and your chairman cannot make it could you please find a replacement.
I know the Safeguarding Team will have certain areas which they will wish to cover with you all but if you have any particular areas that you would like them to discuss will you please let me know by the 7th October so I can pass this information on to them. Couldyou also let me know by the 7th October who will be attending from your club so that I can order the correct amount of food.
In Devon I am supported in my role by Sue Oner and Sharon Rooke-Higginson. We are all hear to help you with your role with in your clubs so if you have any questions or issues that you would like help with please do not hesitate to contact us. Our role is not to police but to help and advice so that our clubs are safe and friendly places for our children to attend.
Our contact details can be found on the Devon Website and in the Devon Handbook.
Finally on the report you will also see that I am the person to contact if you would like to arrange any Safeguarding Courses. With many clubs striving to achieve the seal of approval I know that these courses are required across Devon so you if your club would like to host one please contact me so I can get the ball rolling.
Elaine Palmer
(01271) 371187


Terry Friend is now in hospital awaiting a major operation so all matters concerning cup fixtures/problems should be relayed to either Kevin Davies or Treve Mitchell.

The Exeter University Cup is running well and all referees have been appointed and the Fisherman’s cup is due to start on the 11/09/11.

There was some confusion over the dates but this has now been resolved and a final copy has been sent to all participating clubs.

Junior cup registrations are still outstanding and please send them in as soon as possible.


Nothing to report from Jon Bendle or Rob Masters.


Nothing to report at this meeting.


Please make sure that all of your players are registered via the Rugby First website and also that your club coaches have the relevant I.D. cards for each player.


Devon County Trials for the u18 and u15 girls will be held on 25th September at North Tawton RFC with a 10am start.


U16 Trials are to be held at Kelly College and all details are on the School of Rugby website.

U15 Trial information has been sent out.

Any club that feels they have players of a good standard can nominate them to Allan Baker for County Trials.


It has become apparent that the mailing list held by the Secretary is out of date and information is not reaching the relevant club representative.

Attached is a form for completion listing the clubs Junior Chairman, Secretary, Fixture Secretary and Safeguarding Officer.

Please make sure this is completed and returned to the Devon Jnr Sec as soon as possible.

The next meeting will be held on 5th December 2011 at Exeter Saracens starting at 7pm prompt.