Work Sheet Periodic Classification of Elements
Buds Public School, Dubai 2017– 2018
Work sheet – Periodic Classification of elements
Name: ………………………. Date: …………………..
Grade: 10 Sec: Subject: Chemistry
- An element ‘X’ is placed in the 3rd group and 3rd period of the modern periodic table. Answer the following questions stating reason for your answer in each case:
- Write the electronic configuration of the element ‘X’.
- Write the formula of the compound formed when the element ‘X’ reacts with another element ‘Y’ of the atomic number 17.
- Will the oxide of this element be acidic or basic?
- Study the following table in which position of sic elements A,B,C,D,E and F are shown as they are in the modern periodic table:
Period / 1 / 2 / 3-12 / 13 / 14 / 15 / 16 / 17 / 18
2 / A / B / C
3 / D / E / F
On the basis of the above table answer the following questions:
i)Name the element which will form only covalent compounds.
ii)Which element is a metal with valency one.
iii)Which element is a non- metal with valency two?
iv)Out of D and E which has a bigger atomic radius and why?
v)Write the formula of the compound formed when B combined with D.
- Write the number of groups and periods in the modern periodic table. Mention the criteria of placing elements in the (i) same group (ii) same period. Illustrate your answer with example for each case.
- Write the main aim of classifying elements. Name the basic property of the development of modern periodic table. State the modern periodic law. On which side (part) of the modern periodic table do you find metals, metalloids and non metals?
- The position of three elements A,B and C in the table is shown below
Group 16 / Group 17
_ / _
_ / A
_ / _
B / C
Give reasons explain the following:
- Element A is a non – metal.
- Element B has lager atomic size than element C.
- Element C has a valency of 1.
- An element X has atomic number 9 and element Y has atomic number 17.
- In which period each will be placed.
- Which one of them having largest atomic radius. Why?
- Would they be chemically similar? support your answer with reason
- How many electrons can be accommodated in L shell? Name the element with the completely filled L shell. List any two members of the same group.
- The electronic configuration of four elements A,B,C and D is given as follows:
A – 2, 8
B – 2, 8, 1
C – 2, 8, 2
D – 2, 8, 8
- Which of them belongs to same period? Name the period.
- Which of them belongs to same group? Name the group.
- Which amongst them would form
- monovalent cation______
- divalent cation______