29th AnnualUCSan Diego Undergraduate Research Conference
Helpful Hints for Conference Moderators
- More than 170 undergraduate studentswillpresenttheir papers at the URC.
- The conference is organized into(number of panels TBA) panel discussions in two sessions. The morning session meets from 9:00 to 11:45 am, and the afternoon session meets from 1:00 to 3:45 pm.
- 5-8 students will present their papers at each panel with a faculty member serving as a moderator. Other students or individuals may attend as audience members.
- Student presenters will have15-minutes to discuss their research and 5-minutes to answer questions immediately following their presentation. Students who are co-presenting will have 20 minutes for their presentation and 5-minutes of Q&A. There will be a break halfway through the presentations.
Role of the Moderator
- The primary role of the faculty moderator is to guide the panel discussion by raising critical issues and general themes.
- At the beginning of each panel, you may want to have the students briefly introduce themselves.
- It is usually best to hold questions until after the student’s entire presentation.
- Keep track of the time so that all students have the opportunity to present their papers. Time cards should be on the table
- If there is time after all the students have presented, it is useful for moderators to suggest a starting point for a group discussion.
- At the end of the session, we ask that you and your students fill out an evaluation form. Student forms are online; faculty will have paper forms. Please leave the paper forms on the table in your meeting room.
- You do not need to read the student's presentations before the conference.
- You are welcome to attend the entire Conference, but do not need to arrive until 15-minutes before your panel. Please check in at the registration table so that we know you’ve arrived.
- If the room gets overcrowded or uncomfortable, you may ask some of the observers to leave. The students and faculty participating in the conference should be given priority to stay, then the faculty who nominated students, then parents, then friends/coworkers of the student presenters.
- Please remind the participants not to enter or leave the room while a student is presenting.
For the laptops: choose the student worker login, password=Aep2007