Town of Whiteland Plan Commission
Town of Whiteland Plan Commission
Application for Preliminary or Final Plat
Type of Request: Preliminary Plat Final Plat Replat Plat Vacation
Address or location of the proposal:
Current Zoning: Site area (acres):
Proposed land use:
Proposed number of lots:Proposed number of sections:
(Or for final plats, the section number)
Phone: Email: (Or fax number. Email address is preferred. Either or bothare required.)
Property Owner Information
Name: (If different than applicant; also submit completed property owner consent affidavit.)
Phone: Email: (Or fax number. Email address is preferred. Either or bothare required.)
Are any waivers being requested?
No Yes (if yes, specify which code sections):
I hereby certify that I have the authority to make the above application, and that the information, to my knowledge and belief, is true and correct.
Signature of applicantDate
Printed name and title
Checklist and Contacts
This form should be completed and filed with the Preliminary Plat application.
An application submission for a Preliminary Plat shall include the following items:
Completed application form
Legal description of the property
Proof of ownership (deed)
Property owner consent affidavit (if applicant is not the owner)
Eight (8) folded full-size copies of the proposed development plan
Note: an additional ten (10) 11x17” copies, two (2) folded full-size copies, and a CD of DWG
And PDF files of the revised plan are due on the revisions due date.
Traffic impact study (if required)
Findings of fact (if required for waiver requests)
Filing fee (checks made payable to Town of Whiteland)
Review Process Contacts
The following persons will be contacted regarding notices, additional filing requirements, and staff comments during the review process.
Check if owner and/or applicant will be contacted:Owner Applicant
Attorney or RepresentativeProject Engineer
Phone Number:Phone Number:
Please attach additional contacts if desired.
The Whiteland Plan Commission has the authority to review and approve subdivisions within the Town of Whiteland, subject to the requirements and regulations of Chapters 156 and 154, the Zoning Code and Subdivision Control Ordinance, respectively.
Filing Procedure and Petitioner’s Checklist
- Application Form
- Application must be completed in ink or typed, and the application must be completed in its entirety.
- The application must be signed.
- The complete application must be filed with the Commission Secretary by the filing deadline on the Plan Commission schedule (approximately 25 days prior to a scheduled meeting). Additionally, all supporting paperwork must be submitted no later than 10 days prior to the scheduled meeting.
- A non-refundable filing fee is required with application submittal.
- A signed, notarized letter of consent is required for any petition in which the applicant does not own the property involved.
- Construction Plan Requirements
- Eight (8) folded full-scale copies of the proposed preliminary plat are required at the time of filing.
The preliminary plat shall be prepared by a licensed land surveyor at a scale of not more than 100 feet to the inch, and the sheets shall be numbered in sequence if more than one sheet is used. The preliminary plat shall show the following:
- Profiles showing existing and proposed elevations along centerlines of all streets. Where a proposed street intersects and existing street or streets, the elevation along the centerline of the existing street or streets, within 100 feet of the intersection, shall be
shown. Approximate radii of all curves, lengths of tangents, and central angles on all streets;
- Where steep slopes exist, and when required by the Commission, cross-sections of all proposed streets at 100-foot stations shall be show;
- Plans and profiles showing the locations and typical cross-sections of street pavements, including curbs and gutters, sidewalks, drainage easements, servitude, rights-of-way, manholes, and catch basins; the locations of street trees, street lighting standards, and street signs; the location, size, and invert elevations of existing and proposed sanitary sewers, storm water drains, and fire hydrants, showing connection to any existing or proposed utility systems; and exact location and size of all water, gas, or other underground utilities or structures;
- Location, size, elevation, and other appropriate description of any existing facilities or utilities, including, but not limited to, streets, sewers, drains, water mains, easements, water bodies, streams, flood plains, swamps, railroads, buildings, features noted on the Official Map or Comprehensive Plan, features at the point of connection to proposed facilities and utilities within the subdivision, and each tree with a diameter of eight inches or more, measured four feet above ground level. The water elevations of adjoining lakes or streams at the date of the survey, and the approximate high and low water elevations of such lakes or streams. All elevations shall be referenced to the U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey datum plane. If the subdivision borders a lake, river or stream, the distances and bearings of a meander line established not less than 20 feet back from the ordinary high-water mark of such waterways shall be shown;
- Topography at the same scale as the sketch plan with a contour interval of two feet, referenced to sea-level datum. All datums provided shall be latest applicable U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey datum and shall be so noted on the plan;
- All specifications and references required by the town’s construction standards and specifications, including a site-grading plan for the entire subdivision;
- Title, name, address, and signature of the professional engineer and/or surveyor, and date, including flood prone areas; and
- Notation of approval, as follows:
- Final Plat Requirements
The final plat shall be prepared by a land surveyor licensed by the State of Indiana at a convenient scale of not more than 100 feet to the inch, and the sheets shall be numbered in sequence if more than one sheet is used. The plat shall be presented in ink on reproducible mylar at an appropriate scale and contain the same information as the preliminary plan, along with any changes required by the conditions of preliminary approval, along with the following information:
- Notation of any self-imposed restrictions, and locations of any building lines proposed to be established in this manner, if required by the Commission, in accordance with these regulations;
- Endorsement of the County Health Department;
- All monuments erected, and corner and other points, shall be noted at the representation thereof, or by legend. Metal monuments shall indicate type of metal, diameter, length, and weight per lineal foot of the monuments; and
- A statement to the effect that the Town Council does not enforce subdivision covenants.
- Technical Review Committee and Revisions
- A Technical Review Committee meeting will be held on the date listed on the Plan Commission calendar. The applicant or representative will be made aware of the meeting time and place, and should be present.
- The TRC will review and make comments on the submitted development plan.
- If revisions are required to the plan, the revisions are due by the date listed on the calendar.
- For distribution to the Plan Commission, an additional (10) ten 11x17” copies, 2 folded full-size copies, and a CD (or other digital medium) of DWG and PDF files of the revised development plan are due on the revisions due date.
- The petitioner or a representative of the petitioner must be present at the public hearing to present the application.
- Visual aids or displays may be used during the presentation. Please contact the Secretary or planning staff for requirements. A copy of all materials presented is required be retained for the public file record of the case and cannot be returned.
The Plan Commission will review the submitted construction plans and proposed final plat at the scheduled meeting. After presentation and discussion, the Commission will make a motion to approve, approve with modifications, or deny the request. A vote will be taken on the motion, which will be the final action.
Upon approval by the Plan Commission, the applicant may proceed to develop the subdivision in accordance with the construction plans.
After completion of the subdivision improvements or the submission of performance bonds securing the completion of improvements, the applicant will request approval of the final plat and review of the improvements and/or bonds by the Plan Commission at a regular meeting. If the Plan Commission approves the final plat, they shall forward the request to the Town Council for formal acceptance of the improvements and/or bonds. The approved and accepted final plat shall be signed by the accepting bodies and recorded prior to issuance of building/improvement location permits.
Rules of Procedure
The Plan Commission Rules of Procedure provide specific requirements regarding filings, Commission administration, hearing conduct, and other information. A copy of the Rules is available from the Secretary or Planning Director upon request.
Final Plats$500 + $5/lot
Replats, before 2013 Fee ordinance$400
Replats, after 2013 Fee ordinance$250
Calendar of Meetings
Meetings of the Whiteland Plan Commission begin at 7:00 p.m. in the Meeting Room of the Whiteland Town Hall, 549 Main Street, Whiteland, IN 46184.
All petitions must be filed with the Plan Commission Secretary (Whiteland Clerk-Treasurer) by the close of business on the filing deadline. Office hours of the Whiteland Clerk-Treasurer are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Phone: (317) 535-5531. Fax: (317) 535-8724.
Property Owner Affidavit and Consent
I (we) (and) after being first duly sworn, depose and say:
- that I/we are the owner(s) of the real estate located at (attached legal description), with a common address of .
- that I/we have read and examined the Applicant’s application for , and are familiar with its contents;
- that I/we have no objections to, and consent to such request as set forth in the application; and
- that such being made by the Applicant is [or] is not a condition to the sale or lease of the above-reference property.
STATE OF )
COUNTY OF )
Subscribed and sworn to before me, this day of , .
My commission expires:
, Notary Public
County of Residence:(Signature)
Town of Whiteland Surety Requirements
- At the time when the Secondary Plat is placed on the Plan Commission agenda for their approval, the subdivider shall provide appropriate surety for the public improvements related to the subdivision (including both on and off-site improvements). All surety shall be filed with the Planning Director and maintained in the office of the Town’s Clerk-Treasurer.
- In the event that a developer finishes one section of the subdivision and chooses to seek secondary approval of the section while still working on future sections then a performance bond is required for the section that is being applied for secondary approval.
- A 125% Performance Bond is required based on an amount that is agreed upon that is sufficient to complete the improvements and installation in compliance with the Building Code. Proof of financial performance bon, or an escrow agreement, and must be approved by the Town’s Attorney.
- A Petitioner will be required to maintain all public improvements serving the subdivision development and provide for snow removal on all streets until acceptance of said public improvements by the Town. The petitioner will be required to file a maintenance bond with the Town Council, covering all public improvements serving the subdivision development, one week prior to acceptance of public improvements, in an amount not to exceed 10% of the cost of the public imporvements to be bonded, and in a form satisfactory to the Town’s Attorney.
- The Maintenance Bond is provided to assure satisfactory condition of the required public improvements for a period of three years after the date of acceptance by the Town Council. The Town Council may, upon the recommendation of the Plan Commission Staff, increase the maintenance bond amount to 25% and/or the period to five years for improvements that have repeated failed inspections during installation.
- The Petitioner is required to provide as-built drawings of the public improvement and execute a maintenance agreement with the Town Council.
- Release of any bonds for any improvements, upon completion of the public improvements will require the petitioner to make a written request to the Town Planning Director for the release of the surety and the acceptance of public improvements. The requests shall include: A report from the subdivider’s engineer certifying that the improvements were completed consistent with all applicable requirements and standards, and that the improvements are free and clear of all liens and other encumbrances
2016 Plan Commission & BZA Filing Calendar
Tech Review Notices mailed,
Meeting date Filing deadline meeting Revisions due published, posted
January 5 December 11, 2015 December 16* December 23* December 26
February 2 January 8 January 14 January 21 January 23
March 1 February 5 February 11 February 18 February 20
April 5 March 11 March 17 March 24 March 26
May 3 April 8 April 14 April 21 April 23
June 7 May 13 May 19 May 26 May 28
July 5 June 10 July 14 July 21 July 23
September 6 August 12 August 18 August 25 August 27
October 4 September 9 September 15 September 22 September 24
November 1 October 7 October 13 October 20 October 22
December 6 November 10* November 16* November 23* November 26
Board of Zoning Appeals
Meeting date Filing deadlinepublished, posted
January 7 December 11,2015December 28
February 4 January 8January 25
March 3 February 5February 22
April 7 March 11March 28
May 8 April 8April 25
June 2 May 6May 23
July 7 June 10June 27
August 4 July 8July 25
September 1 August 5August 22
October 6 September 9September 26
November 3 October 7October 24
December 1 November 4November 21
Those dates noted with * are adjusted from regularly scheduled dates due to the holidays.
Regular Commission and Board meetings are held at 7pm at Town Hall.
Technical Review Committee meetings are held at 2pm at Town Hall.
ANY PROJECTS THAT REQUIRE OUTSIDE ENGINEERING REVIEW, AS DETERMINED BY THE TWON OF WHITELAND PLANNING STAFF, THE FILING DATE MUST BE 60 DAYS PRIOR TO THE SCHDUELED PLAN COMMISSION DATES. THIS TIME FRAM ALLOWS APPROPRIATE REVIEW TIME.
Town of Whiteland
549 Main Street, Whiteland, In 46184