The question is:Do you do a Safe Work Method Statement (SWMS) as a group or individually?
Answer is: Theoryassessment is to be completed individually and is not to be performed as a group
Practical is a group based activity and not to be performed individually because:
- It ensures everybody understands and knows what they are doing.
- It is a step by step guide on how to complete tasks safely.
- It is a signed statement, which all workers have been consulted and agree with the risk and control measures in place to control the risks.
- Work Safe also states that is a legal requirement to consult with all employees affected or involved.
- It also makes a better SWMS to have all people involved re. To provide background knowledge and/or experience that will lead to more information being entailed.
- It will also demonstrate the learner’s ability to identify, assess, consult and report on hazards.
- You would not do a High Risk job or activity by yourself.
In regards to the UOC, nearly all of the critical aspects, performance and knowledge are covered in a single detailed SWMS.
WorkSafe have on their website WorkSafeVictoria.gov.au a 5 page outline on who and how a SWMS is to be completed. They also state any work that is deemed to be high risk as per the risk assessment matrix that a SWMS is to be completed prior to commencing work.
It has been suggested that we can have learners complete a SWMS each time they do a theory assessment on plant and or equipment that meets the requirements for high risk work. In these assessments the learners will complete the SWMS individually and not as a group to ensure authenticity of the individual work. This will ensure that each unit complies with the UOC. It will also ensure that OHS requirements are also being adhered to prior to the commencement of practical activities.
Worksafe also state:
Job Safety Analysis (JSA) simply means looking at the work task and considering what is the safest way to complete it. It is a way of becoming aware of the hazards involved in doing the job and taking action to prevent an injury.
SWMS is anything considered high risk construction work or can cause significant risk to the health and safety to a person.
Civil Force Training is a specialist training division of Macquarie Commercial College Ltd
(ABN 99 005 582 767) (RTO # 3923) Copyright © All Rights Reserved 2017