Job Title: / Staff Physician / Job Category: / 110
Wage Classification: / Salaried / Job Code/ Req#: / 608
Location: / Astoria, Oregon / Travel Required: / Minimal
Level/Salary Range: / $150,000-200,000 per year / Position Type/
Status: / Full-time, benefited, FLSA (Fair Labor Standards Act) status: exempt, OSHA high-risk position, ADA negotiable position.
Reports to: / Medical Director
Will Train Applicant(s): / Mixed with experience
Applications Accepted By:
Fax or E-mail:
(503) 325-8602 or
Subject Line: Staff Physician position
Attention: HR Department RE: Job Code 110-608 / Mail:
Coastal Family Health Center
Cindy Stergar CEO
PO Box 239
Astoria, OR 97103
The Staff Physician works as part of the medical provider team delivering medical services to the patients of Coastal Family Health Center. In addition, Physicians, unless specifically exempted by the Chief Executive Officer, shall be qualified to provide inpatient care services, assume “on call” after hours responsibilities and supervise the health center’s PAs or NPs as appropriate. The Staff Physician may be asked to serve as Physician in Charge at a particular clinic site and as such will supervise the medical team at that site.
- Develops rapport with patients; striving to build a physician-patient partnership that facilitates marked familiarity with patient’s medical and treatment history, care needs and psychosocial factors as a means to manage patient’s risk factors and improve patient outcomes.
- Provides primary medical care by caring for all patients in accordance with the physician’s medical specialty.
- Develops a plan of care for each patient including complete medical history, physician examination, diagnosis, appropriate treatment and/or referral including hospitalization where necessary.
- Stresses the importance of preventive healthcare measures.
- Confers with consulting physicians, nurse, patients and patient’s families concerning treatment and care of patients.
- Establishes an effective working relationship with public and private physicians and other clinical care referral resources.
- Attends all medical staff meetings and participates in the community health center’s Q/A program.
- Performs other necessary duties as required by the health center to meet goals of providing primary healthcare.
- Attends Group/Team Huddles.
- Attends all ongoing training.
- Attends weekly provider meetings.
- Participates in daily huddle with assigned Medical Assistant.
- Participates in the clinical program of the organization according to the guidelines established for all staff physicians of similar training and board certification.
- Uses all available resources in diagnosis and treatment, such as laboratory and radiological testing, in an appropriate and cost-efficient manner.
- Provides night and weekend call.
- Refers cases requiring specialist services, but maintains responsibility, assuring that continuity of care is provided.
- Participates in the development and implementation of a regularly updated quality assurance plan for the organization.
- Participates in the health promotion/disease prevention activities required by the U.S. Public Health Service.
- Completes all records and reports as assigned.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Ensures an appropriate environment for the administration of healthcare by keeping all equipment and work areas in a clean, safe and orderly fashion.
- Ability to employ necessary management techniques in the supervision of clinical staff.
- Personal and professional qualities which permit Staff Physician to work with the staff of health center in such a manner as to earn confidence and respect.
- Ability to analyze complex information and communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to set priorities and make decisions on critical healthcare programs and issues.
- EHR knowledge, general EHR skills; computer/keyboarding skills.
- Graduation from an accredited medical school with a degree of Doctor of Medicine or Osteopathy, required.
- Completion of an approved residency program as required by the position.
- License to practice medicine in the State of Oregon, required.
- Possession of Federal DEA number without restriction for practice type, required.
- Current certification by an appropriate primary care or specialty board, required.
- Certified in Basic Life Support techniques, required.
- Ability to work within professional standards and understand scope of practice, required.
- Ability to relate with warmth and effectiveness to patients and other healthcare providers of the health center, required.
- Sufficient experience to carry out the duties of this position, required.
- Must be able to pass national background check and drug screen.
- Standing, bending stooping, lifting, walking; predominate daily position.
- Physical activities required while performing duties within clinic practice.
- In performing job duties may be exposed to blood, body fluids and hazardous chemicals; sight, auditory, tactile and olfactory senses exposure.
- Operating technical equipment.
- Computer screen, mouse, and keyboard usage. Telephone usage.
- Lifting: less than 20 lbs.
- May be required to work various shifts, weekends, holidays, overtime and in various center sites.
- Salary range for this position is at Health Center’s Salary Scale.
- The Board of Directors reserves the right to revise or change job duties, work sites and responsibilities as need arises. This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
Reviewed By: / J. Coffee, CEO / Date: / September 2003
Approved By: / CFHC Board / Date: / September 22, 2003
Last Updated By: / Clinical Support Staff Supervisor / Date/Time: / April 2012
Staff Physician Job Description, Page 1