Strategic Reading Plan for Success
School:Cesar Chavez High School Teacher:S. Acosta Contact: (602) 764-4000/
Department: ReadingCourse Title: Strategic Reading Code:5613000
No. of Credits:.5/semGrade Level(s):10-11 Prerequisite(s): Reading Fundamentals
1. Course Description:The READ 180Strategic program is designed to teach the standards for Language Arts so students will become critical and lifelong readers. In this course, students will increase their vocabulary, improve their spelling, reading fluency, and comprehension skills that will help them increase their learning in all subject areas. The Read 180 Strategic program is 50 minutes (students receive ½ credit per semester) and includes the following segments: whole group instruction (15minutes), small-group instruction/computer software program/independent reading (30 minutes), and whole-group wrap-up (5 minutes). Each group will rotate daily at one of the three stations.
2. Materials Required:pencil, paper, binder, and headphones
3. Grading System:90 - 100% = A80 - 89 = B 70 - 79 = C 60 - 69 = D 59 = F
31%- Whole Group & Small Group 34%- Independent Reading 35% - Software
Term 1 45% Term 2 45% Final Exam 10% SEMESTER GRADE 100%
*Accommodations and modifications will be included per IEP and 504 Plans*
*Parents and students can access grades using Synergy. *
4. Title I Program: Academic tutoring and test preparation is available to all students. Additional support for passing classes and graduating on time is the intent of these services. Support through Title I funding is available in the areas of: math, reading and English. If interested, please contact the Principal Mr. Gayman or Assistant Principal for InstructionDr. Fitzpatrick for additional information at (602) 764-4000.
5. Make-up Policy:Students must see the teacher either during KKIS time before school, during advisory,or after school(KKIS)to receive missed assignments due to excused absence(s). Make up work is due in the number of excused days the student has missed.
6. Attendance/Tardy Policy:We will follow the district’s attendance policy. . “Absent” is defined as nonattendance in an assigned class or activity for more than one-half of the period. (PUHSD Governing Board Policy J-1561 JHR)
“Tardy” is defined as not being in the assigned class or activity when the tardy bell has finished ringing.(PUHSD Governing Board Policy J-1561 JHR)
Attendance is vital for the optimum success of students in this program. Students are expected to be in their seats with their materials when the bell sounds. The school tardy policy will be followed to help ensure a successful learning environment for all students.
7. Classroom Rules/Expectations for Students
- Attend every class, every day, on time, seated at correct station, ready to learn
- Attentive, on-task, respectful behavior of people and property that allows everyone the opportunity to learn
- Follow all district and school-wide policies including: appropriate dress code and wearing of school ID’s
- Electronic equipment use (no cd players or radios in class; pagers and cell phones must be off and out of sight)
- No gum, food or drink is permitted in class (except bottled water)
- Backpacks, purses, bags, personal electronic equipment, etc. in designated areas ONLY
Everyone and Everything is deserving of Respect. No Exceptions. Furthermore, all students are expected to follow additional classroom guidelines and procedures set forth by the teacher, as well as the policies and rules set forth by the Phoenix Union High School district. Infractions will result in referrals to administration for disciplinary action and/or in-class detention time.
Technology is an integral part of the READ 180 classroom. We will follow the district’s policy on vandalism or destruction of property for replacement and/or restitution as it is stated in the student’s district handbook.
****Fall 2014 Open House is August 21st at 5:30pm-8:00pm****
Plan for Student Success Sign Off READ 180
Please, read, sign, and return this form to your teacher byFriday, August8th 2014. It must be returned in order for your student to have access to the computer. Thank you very much.
Please Print Student First and Last Name ______
I, ______, have read and understood the Plan for
Student Success. I will support and follow all procedures and guidelines for the READ
I, ______, the parent/ legal guardian of ______
(parent/guardian signature) (print student name)
have read and support the above Plan for Student Success.
Parent and family involvement is critical for student success. Parents and guardians are encouraged to contact the teacher with any concerns or questions.
- Parent/Guardian, please provide your phone number and best time to reach you:
- Please print your first and last name ______
- Phone Number: ______
Please circle: home work cell
- Best time to call: ______
- Do you need an interpreter for the phone call? ______If yes, what language? ______