ROBERT MUNSCH PUBLIC SCHOOL – PARENT COUNCIL
April 27th2017 Meeting Minutes
In Attendance: Jonathan Mitchell, Elaine Hunter, Jen Bolton, Sian McLean,Courtney Mackinnon, Karen Miles, Melodie Howard, Rhonda Pogue, Tanya Lewis, Greg Collins, Crystal Mott, Kim Cresswell, Janet Denney, Pam Dubois
- Reading; Elaine
Minutes from last meeting
- Everyone has reviewed the minutes, no changes requested. CONSENSUS they are passed
Admin report; Mr. Collins
- Upcoming - Welcome to FDK Thursday May 4 6:30-7:30
- Parent night for families and guardians
- FDK- called Year 1 and Year 2
- Opportunity for families to come
- Kids come May 25 for time during the day
- 70-75 kids coming in to the Year 1 program
- June 16th school BBQ and movie
- Mrs. White’s last day on Friday April 28th
- EQAO will be starting May 23rd for 6 days - try not to have appt on these days. We hold the tests in the morning.
- Mrs.Cresswell - Mental health (EQAO) - if your child has severe anxiety or extenuating circumstance they may ask for a withdrawal
- Anti-bullying -Jon Shep
- Spoke with council at MAPS they have declined to go further with this at this time
- Building collaborative cultures here
- Stress of inappropriate use of social media impacts staff, families and relationships
- Older students at MAPS - they use social media more
- We want to teach to prevent our students from using technology inappropriately and to model for families appropriate use of social media
- We have to strive to hear other perspectives as hard as it may be
- Maybe we write a joint letter with council and school to send home to families in the fall outlining expectations
- Our students are blank slates when using social media. They learn from behaviour what they see.
- Maybe our schools can have a joint meeting about social media in the fall.
Mental Health Night
- Our goal is for parents to be more aware of mental health stigmas, breakdown barriers, develop an understanding
- There is some confusion of what the programming will look like for our students and staff
- Let’s go ahead with the night. If fulfills the pro-grant requirements.
- Need to find out if they will:
- Do the night only?
- Can they do the day in June for the kids?
- Can we have flexibility with Community Class?
- What does it look like for June?
- Planned activities for kids
- Worry doll
- Mindful moments
- Movements & breathing
- Role playing
- Milton’s secret
- Company will come up with a schedule
- Night - will have movie, need lots of plugs
- Affirmative for the night
- Maybe parents can have a refresher note to go home the day students have their session
- Shared the whole school Blue Spruce voting day
- Can parents have a list of books and information? Mrs. Mott will send it home in library bags after the grade 3 trip
- Outdoor Learning update - review voting process
- How can we share these learning and collection of student voice opportunities with our families?
- Possible end of year learning letter
Grade 3 “Graduation”
- Will there be any plans to help transition our grade 3s out? Mr.Collins spoke with the principal at MAPS today
- How does placement work? We get MAPS tentative organization and our staff organize the placements.
- Some concerns with the transition from one school to another.
- Can we have reading buddies with MAPS? May help with the transition.
- We may need to have more meet-greets and visits for our Grade 3s as we go along.
- MAPS will have a June BBQ and invite Grade 3s.
- Need to pay May and June pizza and milk
- Mrs. Williams is coming ...if she is super busy then we can get it taken off in September
- Pizza update- Jen cannot take care of pizza for now
- Mel/Jonathan will take over pizza and milk orders
- We approach Mike about taking over going to take over pizza once things are settled
- 5 sessions with 2 calendar months at a time for the new pizza orders 2017/18 school year
- All 5 sessions will be posted at one time. You can pay for only one session or all sessions
- When it closes the report can be downloaded. Janet Keall asked, can we pick and choose dates? No, for the session.
- Are the 2017-2018 dates available? On YRDSB website. Get it prepared for September startup
School Clothing / Rhonda Pogue - Update and ideas
- We want students to help pick the logo.
- We have the original one. Collect other ideas
- Possible idea for voting: On our June night have a vote for which one.
- It can get mocked up from there and see what it looks like. Once we get the winning one and get the mock up, we can decide on clothing options.
- Present it to sell at the Meet the Teacher night in October 2017
- Vote in the library week prior and reveal at the June BBQ
Staff Y/E Appreciation
- June 2nd - PA day
- Will send email
- Starting May 17th
- One week - May 31st - will not be having it
- If it is raining, we will do Thursday
On behalf of Tanya
- Parent council events in the evening/ Saturdays
- Fundraising, anti-bullying
- How do we get this information?
- Rhonda will email Elaine and Elaine will dig deeper
- PEAC is a group of parents - Parent, Engagement, Advisory Committee
- Mrs. Cresswell - Desks with bicycles to be housed in the library for common use
- Will school council consider supporting purchasing something like this to be housed in the library to collect data of impact?
- How do we ensure that kids don’t feel left out when others get things that they don’t but want?
- We, as a staff, are on multiple journeys. How do we teach that fair doesn’t mean equal?
- The Snoezlan room has become a very useful tool.
- There is a mental health network that has evolved with staff looking at responsive and reflective learning environments for all.
- Some kids who do need it don’t want to be different.
- We have come from a paradigm of learning where you come in and sit down and learn.
- We sometimes teach our kids to fail, are we catering to our kids?
Next Meeting May 25th 7pm