Business Development Manager
Business Development Manager
Reports to:Chief Executive
Salary:Band 6 £25,783 - £34,530 (starting point depending on
experience and relevant qualifications & membership)
We are seeking to recruit a new Fundraising & Income Generation Team. These individuals will take on the challenge to raise funds to enable New Life Counselling to conduct its vital work of providing community based counselling services for all ages principally within the Greater Belfast area.
These posts provide the opportunity to become involved with a dynamic, innovative and creative organisation to deliver and constantly develop the counselling services.
It will challenge the individuals to maximise income from a range of sources to meet the growing need for the organisation’s services whilst also giving the opportunity to work on their own initiative to create and develop a variety of fundraising methods and business development tools.
They will work closely with the Chief Executive and wider management team to be aware of the demands on the organisation’s services and present opportunities to meet the financial challenges includinggrowing the organisation’s unrestricted funding. The individuals should exude motivation and enthusiasm which will see staff and volunteers want to engage with them and support the fundraising objectives of New Life Counselling.
The postholders will be able to use the skills of the community fundraiser to achieve their targets and will also be supported by external communications support (currently provided through Aiken PR).
The successful candidate with have proven business development skills and an empathy for the work of New Life Counselling.
To manage the identification, development and realisation of appropriate existing and new income generation targets for the organisation in consultation with the CEO and SMT. To co-ordinate and develop the income generationactivities for the organisation with the goal of maintaining and expanding the current level of service delivery of New Life Counselling.
1. To develop and initiate successful business development strategies and plans
2. To develop New Life Counselling as a forward-thinking charity with a commercial trading arm that builds on the charity’s reputation for expertise in the provision of counselling services, in particular, private counselling, clinical supervision and personal therapy counselling services.
3. To develop additional income generating sources and to increase the business development capability across the organisation.
4. To deliver targets for unrestricted income generation, in order to support New Life Counselling’s provision of counselling services to those unable to pay.
5. To research, write and submit grants & tendersconsistent with the organisation’s strategic aims
6. To support clinical staff with the ‘selling of services’ strand of income generation
7. To support SMT & report to the Board as required (including deputising for the CEO when directed and appropriate)
Income Strategy & Target Realisation
- Be familiar with the resourcing needs of the organisation
- Develop, implement and evaluate an ambitious, innovative and comprehensive income generation / selling of services strategy that will maximise the potential for raising unrestricted income;
- Monitor progress regularly in meeting income generation targets and be accountable to the CEO for the achievement of these
Business Development & Selling of Services
- To take the lead on developing and executing a plan for income generation, by identifying and then developing commercial services related to New Life Counselling’s mission
- To deliver unrestricted income-generation targets, as agreed with the Chief Executive.
- Todevelop and implement a marketing plan to promote and sell services, working with the CEO on price, identifying sales channels and devising promotion strategy.
- Play a key role in respect of new business development (identifying new opportunities for the expansion of services and securing funding to realise these) along with the wider management team
- Play a key role in supporting income generation through the selling of counselling personal therapy, supervision & group work services.
- Research, consider and respond to any income generation opportunities as they arise
- To monitor tendering websites and bring opportunities to Senior Management Team for consideration
- Co-ordinate all tenders to be submitted with the support of the relevant personnel
- To identify and progress the most appropriate methods of building corporate relationships
- To identify and progress prospects, develop relationships and make proposals and pitches to companies
- To maintain a good understanding of corporate donor needs and awareness of a range of fundraising techniques.
- To comply with all policies and procedures within the organisation.
- To contribute to organisational strategic planning and development
- To ensure that New Life Counselling’s income generation activities are undertaken within the law and in compliance with the new Charity Commission for Northern Ireland
- To comply with all duties under the UK and EU law in regard to data protection
- To engage in continuing professional development
- To undertake any other duties as required.
- To report to the Board through the CEO, when required
Knowledge & Qualifications
- Educated to degree level or equivalent OR possessing 5 years experience in social economy environment with responsibility of ‘selling of services’
- Qualification in Marketing, Business Administration or similar
- Knowledge of the community / voluntary sectors in Northern Ireland
- Proven track record gained of ability to generate charitable income through ‘social economy’ trading and selling of services
- Good IT knowledge and ability to apply to practical IT usage
- Excellent organisational skills
Skills, Attitudes & Abilities
- Highly motivated, self starter
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to manage a small team of staff and to develop constructive working relationships at all levels within the organisation & with external stakeholders
- Flexible and proactive approach to work
- Sensitivity and commitment to the aims of New Life Counselling
- A commitment to high standards
- Highly-developed inter-personal skills
- Ability to conduct and prioritise workload.
- Ability to work on own initiative and as part of a team
- To be committed to New Life Counselling’s policy of equality of opportunity respect for diversity and confidentiality
- Attention to detail in all aspects of your work
- Possess a full driving license and have access to a car
Business Development Manager, November 2014