The Baptist General Convention does not determine the requirements or responsibilities of a staff person in a local church. The recommendations below are only suggested items to include in a job description. We recommend that your church personnel committee review each item in the following job description, determine which items are appropriate for your church, revise them and/or add others according to their discretion, and share them with the church body for their input. It is especially important thatthe search committee compare each item to your church’s by-laws, also, as they should not be in conflict. The by-laws overrule any item in the job description.
Minister of Education (Review, choose and/or revise these statements orcreate your own.)
Principal Function: The Minister of Education is responsible for assisting the church program organizations, except the church music program, in planning, conducting and evaluating comprehensive educational programs.
Job Classification:This position is an exempt (salaried) and full time position.
This position is a non-exempt (hourly) and part-time position.
Working Relationships:The Minister of Education reports directly to the pastor.
- Lead the church in planning, conducting and evaluating a comprehensive program of Christian education.
- Serve as educational resource person and advisor to the leaders of church programs and service organizations. Coordinate and unify the various organizations to avoid conflict, duplications and overlapping.
- Develop special education and training projects such as camps, retreats, and study seminars for various age groups within the congregation.
- Lead the church to be aware of the educational and curriculum materials available and lead the church to choose the most suitable.
- Guide in the selection, enlistment, and training of workers.
- Recommend suitable educational building space and equipment.
- Develop and administer a Sunday School/Bible Study visitation program.
- Support the pastor in visiting hospitals, nursing homes, etc., and, when called upon, assist in counseling, performing weddings, conducting funerals.
- Maintain an adequate system of records.
- Direct and promote meetings for training and preparation of Sunday School/Bible Study leaders.
- Formulate an annual budget to be recommended to the Budget Planning Committee.
- Comply with all established church policies and procedures as well as all applicable federal and state laws.
- Serve as Staff Advisor for church committees as assigned by the pastor.
Perform other duties as assigned by pastor.
Requirements: Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
The position of Minister of Education requires:
- A high school diploma.
- A college degree.
- A seminary degree.
- ___ years of experience as Minister of Education on a Baptist church staff or a comparable Baptist denomination service position.
- The ability to listen and to communicate clearly, both orally and in written form.
- Exceptional speaking skills and the ability to speak confidently before groups.
- Quality leadership skills.
- Exceptional administrative skills.
- The basic ability to use computer software, such asWord, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook.
- Commitment to biblical Christian principles and teachings both professionally and personally.
- Passing criminal, financial and sexual misconduct background checks.
I have read the above job description and agree to fulfill the responsibilities and requirements described therein.