Chester County Police Departments
- Establish the policies andmessaging structure for regional police departments
- Ensure consistent delivery by all public facing individuals and contentdistributed through various communication vehicles
- Expand relationships with key stakeholders (media, community, local businesses, schools, etc) and establish a proactive contact strategy utilizing targeted platforms to reach these constituents
Phase I- Ramp Up: Strategic Planning, Messaging & Influencer Lists
Ramp up activities will ensure consistent messaging for ongoing media relations programsand prepare all parties for rollout. Program elements will include:
- Strategic Planning (2 hrs): determine content, timing and approach for media training and communication plan, as well as a follow-on schedule of press releases, awards, speaking opportunities, and á la carte initiatives.
- Policies, Message Platform & Positioning (2 hrs): conduct team brainstorm meeting with all police chiefs, refine policies, develop messaging platform, identify top messages to own and how to align with key values, how to articulate facts and leverage proof points, and develop proactive angles for ongoing media campaigns.
- Presentation and handouts (2 hrs): craft slides and shareable document to cover all areas of media training including tips and tricks for live, broadcast and phone interviews as well as written responses. Develop questions by category, relevancy and potential risk areas. (*Suggestion: live panel of reporters at training. Outreach and solidify participation included in prep.)
- Key Influencer Lists/Tracking (2 hrs): compile lists of top targets to include in a cross-section of regional, broadcast and small publications
Phase II–Training DevelopmentPrograms
Media Training: Alison Guzzio will provide media relations coaching to hone messages and delivery. Attention will be placed on hitting critical points, turning the opportunity to your advantage, consistency of messages across the organization, and tactics for responding to tough questions in hostile or crisis situations.
Tips Around Media Relations: Part of the training will include how to engage in proactive, recurring outreach to influentials and thoughtfully respond to reactive opportunities.
- Target cross-section of regional, broadcast andcommunity publications
- Penetrate outlets on multiple levels (beat reporters, bloggers, editors, freelance, bylines, etc)
- Pursue non-traditional social media opportunities (podcasts, video blogs, LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, etc.)
- Ensure ongoing drumbeat of news highlighting milestones, community involvement, lawenforcement updates,etc.
- Keep a pulse on target media. Determine reporter tone and adapt responses accordingly.
Sustained program to build and expand awareness and track progress of media relations. Program elements to include:
- Maintain database of target reporters in key publications, radio and broadcasts, online tools including websites, podcasts and blogs
- Find awards and speaking opportunities andapply for opportunities and prioritize list
- Determine trends, current news and hot topics that would potentially be a fit for media opportunities
- Create a steady stream of press releases that highlight milestones, speaking opportunities, awards, etc
- Conductmeetings to stay abreast of all changes, potential news angles and departments updates
ABOUT ALISON GUZZIO
A marketing and public relations veteran, Alison Guzzio has directed projects for a range of high-tech, pharmaceutical, security, ecommerce, manufacturing, chemical, global trade and broadband companies.
Strengths include positioning companies to maximize visibility among key stakeholders such as media, investors, partners and the community. Alison has a strong understanding of business objectives and she effectively translates this into results for her clients.
In addition to her experience managing the demands on emerging companies, Alison is skilled in taking products from conception to roll-out, developing creative marketing plans, generating media coverage, media training, crisis communications and leading brand awareness campaigns during critical growth stages.
1 | Page