A busy week in Year 6 this week, as we have completed a range of Progress Checks in Reading, Grammar and Maths. We have also given the class time to look through the completed papers and make corrections and check understanding where necessary. Our first session of programming with Scratch was extremely successful and the class made great progress incorporating a nested loop into an algorithm.
Looking forward to next week in Year 6;
- Calculating the decimal and percentage equivalents of fractions
- Planning for a ‘Big Write’ entitled ‘Who is in the garage?’
- As part of SMCS we will be discussing the question – Should you celebrate Christmas if you are not a believer?
This week the children have been set;
- Weekly spellings
- Grammar and punctuation exercise – ‘Use of clauses in sentences’
- Maths task – two activities have been set for the whole class on Mathletics (the children should have their log in details in their Reading Record) these activities require the children to a) find the decimal equivalents of fractions in 10ths and 100ths and b) convert simple fractions e.g. ¾ to the decimal equivalent. The on screen ‘Help’ function can be used if the children require a refresher of the skill needed.
This week certificates were awarded to;Personal Excellence / Tamzin Hope, Remington Roscoe, Ava Hatcher, Jimmy Russell / For achieving Mastery when multiplying simple fractions
Yasmin Newman / Making a change and asking/answering questions in class
William Spacey / For continuing to make excellent efforts in all subjects
Determination / Freddy Fairman / For improving his attitude to learning
Respect and Friendship / Mary-Ellen Matthews, Amelie Mayston / For worthy discussion points in a PSHE lesson about bullying
We hope you found the parent workshop informative to enable you to support your children at home. Thank you to those of you who attended.
Another recommended read
This week we have read the children an extract from a new book ‘Black Powder’ by Ally Sherrick. Although we will not be using this book as an inspiration for writing the class have asked that the details are in the weekly news as some have indicated they would be interested in buying a copy.
Important Dates in the run up to Christmas
Friday 9th December – PTA Christmas Shopping Event for the children
Friday 16th December – Christmas Dinner and Christmas Jumper Day
Monday 19th December – Christmas Raffle drawn in assembly
Tuesday 20th December – Non-uniform day, Christmas Disco after school with DJ Wheels
Wednesday 21st December – Carol Service at St Mary’s Church (pm) – parents and carers are welcome – timings to be confirmed
The Year 6 Teaching Team