Job Title: Retail and Trading Manager
Responsible to: Commercial and Business Development Director
Responsible for: Retail Shops and Managers, Trading Offices and Supervisors, Relief Team
Main responsibilities of the role: In line with our exciting and ambitious Fundraising Strategy expansion plans; lead our Retail and Trading operationsso they effectively generate income in line with the Fundraising Strategy to support the work of Age UK East Sussex (AUKES) and via joint venture shops / trading with Age UK Brighton and Hove (AUKB&H).
Salary: up to £30,000 per annum depending on experience + performance related bonus of up to £4,000 per annum (targeted against budget performance)
Hours of Work: Full Time, 35 hours per week. Because of the nature of the role, the post holder may be required to work additional hours to ensure the proper performance of the duties and this may mean that the post holder will work in excess of normal business hours. No overtime is payable but with the prior approval of the line manager the post
holder will be entitled to time off in lieu.
Place of Work: This role will be based at our Newhaven office and will include significant travel across the county and Brighton and Hove. Travel expenses will be reimbursed as detailed in the Employee Handbook.
Annual Leave: 25 days annual leave + bank and public holidays
Pension: All AUKES employees are enrolled in a statutory pension and following successful probation may opt into the enhance charity pension with an 8% charity contribution If you require any further information please contact the Human Resources department.
Other Benefits: Smartphone, laptop and suitable office equipment as required
Sales and Income Generation FocusedAdvanced
Service Delivery & Customer OrientationAdvanced
Job Specific KnowledgeAdvanced
Leadership & ManagementAdvanced
Problem Solving & Decision MakingAdvanced
Building & Maintaining RelationshipsAdvanced
Impact & InfluenceSkilled
Teamwork & CooperationAdvanced
- Lead the AUKES Retail operation to maximise income generation in line with the Fundraising Strategy. The portfolio currently includes solely owned retail shops, and joint venture shops which AUKES run for the benefit of AUKES and AUKB&H
- Create an annual Retail Business Plan to successfully generate income through donated goods, new goods, gift aid and expand the retail estate.
- In conjunction with the retail managers develop annual income and expenditure budgets for each business, then manage each team proactively through the year to achieve budget
- Manage the retail shop managers as the area manager. Hold a minimum monthly site visit to each outlet to review operational performance and carry out supervision with each manager. Ensure managers are following correct standards and supporting and motivating their teams to achieve shop goals
- Help retail outlets to identify their stock needs and develop plans with them to ensure sufficient stock is generated to meet these needs. Set up ways of sharing stock where appropriate(e.g. transferring take -off stock or helping branches work together on stock generation initiatives)
- Ensure retail managers maximise the opportunity for gift aid on donated items. Monitor Gift Aid performance and work with managers to achieve donor conversion / gift aid sales in line with Retail Business Plan across all outlets
- Ensure shops are recruiting suitable numbers of volunteers to operate their businesses, following correct process and providing training and support for volunteers to excel in their roles
- Work with Commercial Director to develop new outlets. Actively recommend suitable opportunities as they come to market and complete business plans for new proposals. Work on refits and new premises where required
- Monitor and report on the business plan on a monthly basis to the Commercial Director, including performance by outlet and sales mix / gift aid income and adjust to ensure business growth
- Lead the Trading operation to maximise income generation in line with the Fundraising Strategy
- Create an annual Trading Business Plan to successfully generate income through the portfolio of Age UK licensed Financial Services and Affiliate Products
- Market the portfolio of products and services via multiple channels, retail, direct, events, face-to-face and telephone –and generate sufficient leads into the trading teams
- Successfully manage the team to convert enquiries into sales to meet the targets of the business plan
- Utilise leads to cross promote products and services and generate opportunities for other teams to raise income such as through Fundraising, retail donation requests, volunteering and offering charitable services via maintaining a secure trading database
- Monitor and report on the business plan on a monthly basis to the Commercial Director, including lead generation numbers and conversion rates and adjust to ensure business growth
- Ensure the trading offices operate correctly within the Age UK Alliance Agreement guidelines and meet FCA requirements through the trained Trading Supervisor and Appointed Person
- Service the quarterly meeting of the Trading Company. Provide reports for the meeting as required, record accurate minutes and action points raised in a timely manner
- Ensure the implementation of all marketing activities as directed by the Age UK Enterprises Regional Sales Manager, including annual advertising plans, local media selection and evaluation
Line Management / Reporting
- Effectively line manage the retailmanagers, trading supervisorsand relief managers in order to maximise income from retail and trading operations (6 – 8 direct reports).
- Successfully manage a professional retail operation via effective recruitment, training and support for each manager and by maintaining AUKES Retail Operations Standards.
- Successfully manage a professional trading operationvia effective recruitment, training and support for the Trading Supervisors and maintaining the standards required by the Age UK Trading Alliance Agreement and the FCA.
- Maintain monthly supervisions with all reports; documentingvia AUKES ‘one-to-one’ forms and action any requirements in a timely manners.
- Actively develop the teamsthrough goal setting, positive recognition and providing suitable development training where required.
- Support all teams with their recruitment and training of volunteers to meet the needs of each business. Ensure volunteers are correctly managed by retail and trading managers / supervisors in line with AUKES volunteer procedures and to maintain the ‘Investing in Volunteers’ standard
- Effectively resolve performance and disciplinary matters in a timely manner following AUKES policies and procedures
- Hold regular meetings, both individually and in groups to review performance, ensure clear communication and collaborative working between teams and the wider organisation
- Manage team rotas, holidays and absence in line with AUKES policies and procedures. Manage relief staff and arranging short notice cover where required.
- Hold keys for all premises and provide out of hours access if required.
- Help to facilitate excellent relationships between the retail and trading teams and the wider organisation.
- Support the Age UK brand partnership by maintaining the standards of the Age UK Retail Charter across all outlets
- Work with the Finance Team to ensure financial systems provide suitable weekly and monthly management information then use this to report on progress to the Commercial Director / team meetings
- Ensure all AUKES Financial Procedures are correctly followed at all times. Work with the Finance Team to investigate and resolve any significant discrepancies as they arise.
- Ensure all AUKES Retail Standards are implemented and maintained at all times. This includes customer service, merchandising, sorting & pricing and stock rotation as detailed in the Retail Operations Manual
- Work with the Trading Team to ensure the trading operation meets with the requirements of the Age UK Trading Alliance agreement and operates within FCA guidelines.
- Working with the Marketing Team ensure the retail and trading operations correctly promote the AUKES brand, our charitable services(for joint venture shops the AUKB&H services) and actively generate leads for product and service referrals
- Working with the Fundraising Team ensure that the retail and trading teams actively support the wider Fundraising Strategy, taking part in events and supporting the main fundraising initiatives
- In conjunction with the Facilities Coordinator ensure retail and tradingteams work within all legal and AUKES health & safety requirements, Trading Standards law and fire regulations. Undertake regular H&S checks of all shops and trading offices and monitor manager H&S duties
- Working with the Central Services Manager ensure retail and trading teams work towards and support ISO9001, Investing in Volunteers and The Age UK Quality Standard
- Work with colleagues in the Commercial team to strengthen, develop, promote and improve the retail and trading operations, including the development of bought in new goods and other initiatives such as EPOS tills
- Promote and develop positive working relationships within the charity, seeking opportunities for joint initiatives for retail and trading with other Age UK outlets and service teams.
- Attend meetings and conferences and develop relationships with colleagues to broaden knowledge and develop and implement best practice
- Attend training and development courses and all key meetings as required by the Commercial Director
- Special ad–hoc projects or reports may be required from time to time to be advised by the Commercial Director. In common with all posts, ensure compliance with AUKES policies and procedures, statutory obligations and best practice, and to undertake such other duties as may be reasonably required by the Senior Management.
This job description may be subject to review in the light of the developing organisation and in consultation with the post holder.