Job Description Promotional Staff
Job Description – Promotional StaffCore job information
Job Title / Promotional Staff, All Sites
Section / Queen Mary Students’ Union / Department / Student Engagement
Grade / Promotional Staff / Wage / £7.46 (Inc. Holiday Pay)
Working hours per wk week / Flexible– dependent on events running
Reports to (job title) / Student Engagement Team / Current location / All sites
To promote events and activities run by the Students’ Union to students; inspiring interest in students and directing them onto where they can find out more details and take part. To coordinate with other promo staff to ensure a presence in all required areas, and to report back to the line manager on progress and students’ reception of the information.To ensure good communication of all events and activities run by the Students’ Union to as many students of the university as possible. To assist in the running of events and activities where applicable. To positively represent the Students’ Union and itsactivities around campus. To also cover stewarding shifts (supervisor wage) when required and fulfil basic reception tasks at both Students’ Union reception sites.
Person Specification -
Experience, Knowledge, Skills & Attitude
Requirements / Essential/Desirable
Experience / Experience working in promotion of events or companies.
Experience working both in a team and alone to achieve a goal.
Experience persuading and encouraging others to attend events and develop interest in an organisation’s activities.
Experience representing an organisation to a target market and leaving a positive impression. / Desirable
Knowledge, skills & abilities / Good knowledge of Events and activities run by the Students’ Union.
Good knowledge of the different services offered by the Students’ Union.
Ability to use communication skills to an excellent level. This is to include clear explanation of promotions and actively listening to enquiries about promotions.
Ability to use own initiative to deal with routine enquiries from students and staff surrounding student activities and events.
Good time management in regards to completing promotions thoroughly and punctually. / Essential
Attitude & disposition / Demonstrates a positive approach to providing information to students of different demographics
Ability to use own initiative and work with minimum supervision
Desire to work in a student environment within democratic structures
Approachable nature with the ability to mix with a range of people from diverse backgrounds
Trustworthy, reliable, and flexible with good attention to detail and demonstrable integrity
Ability to establish and maintain good relationships with others
Conscientious and hard working
Pro- active approach to work
Empathy with the aims and values of Queen Mary Students’ Union
Committed to the principles and practice of equal opportunities / Essential
The Promotional Staffwill be asked to carry out the following tasks;
- Using their excellent communication skills to provide information on specific student activities, entertainments and events on campus.
- Ensure that students are well informed of specific events and services run by the Students’ Union
- To meet with the line manager or relevant Students’ Union representative before promotional shifts to be briefed on what is to be promoted, and then after promotional shifts to report on progress and reception from students about the promotion.
- Provide a regular point of contact for enquiries in respect of all QMSU’s student activities andevents, and referring students on where appropriate or where information is not known.
- To keep a good working knowledge of the student activities and entertainments and events within QMSU as well as a sound basic knowledge of other services offered by the Students’ Union.
- Either by using initiative, or upon request, report any issues to the Communications and Marketing Manager, Events Manager or other relevant Students’ Union staff-member.
- To be available to work and carry out any further requests by Communications and Marketing Manager or Events Manager
- To cover stewarding shift which will include doing building checks, supervising guests, issuing report logs to line manager and reporting to Security if needs be