Job Description: Independent Non-Executive Chair
GB Taekwondo is responsible for the preparation, management and performance of British athletes at the Olympic Games and at World and European Championships.
Based in Manchester, we manage the full time ‘World Class Performance’ programmeand with the support of UK Sport and National Lottery funding, we have up to30 athletes living in the city, and training out of the GB Taekwondo Academy in East Manchester.
With the further support of Sport England, we manage the national Talent Pathwayprogramme, responsible for the development of cadet and junior athletes and their progression as members of the national squads.
And GB Taekwondo deliversan annual programme of major events which will include two legs of the World Taekwondo Grand Prix series in 2017 and 2018, and the World Taekwondo Championships in 2019.
GB Taekwondo has achieved multi-medal success at the last two Olympic Games, in London and Rio. Funding for both the World Class Performance programme, and Talent Pathway programme has recently been confirmed by UK Sport and Sport England respectively, for the next funding cycle through to 31 March 2021. Together with the funding secured for the future major events, GB Taekwondo will have an annual budget of over £3m.
GB Taekwondo aim to recruit and retain individuals through fair and effective recruitment and selection procedures. We value diversity and are committed to eliminating unlawful and unfair discrimination. Appointment will always be on merit.
Applications are welcomed from all people irrespective of age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy/maternity/paternity/caring responsibilities, ethnic and cultural background, nationality,
About the post:
Location:National Taekwondo Centre, Ten Acres Sports Complex, Ten Acres
Lane, Manchester M40 2SP.
Salary: £10k per annum
Annual Commitment: 25-30 days
Contractual Status: Up to 2 x 4 year terms
Start date: 1st April 2017
The Chair will lead and manage the Board of GB Taekwondo in the development of a vision, strategy and policies in collaboration with the Executive Directors and Senior Management Team and other Board members. S/he will represent and champion GB Taekwondoat the highest level in terms of advocacy with key partners including UK Sport, Sport England and British Taekwondo.
- To ensure that the Board operates in line with the Code for Sports Governance, and that it demonstrates the highest standards of integrity at all times.
- To ensure that the Board is effective in discussing and setting the company’s strategic direction.
- To set the Board’s agenda, and ensuring that the Board receives accurate, timely and clear information.
- To chair the Board meetings, ensuring that the views of all directors are taken into account, and creating a culture of openness, debate and collaboration, that maximises the skills and experience of all directors.
- To act as a member of the Board, offering guidance, support, expertise and an objective perspective on the key matters of strategy, governance, commercial and financial affairs, and risk management.
- To identify and manage any conflicts of interest that might arise within the Board.
- To ensure the ongoing effectiveness and development of the Board through maintenance of an appropriate skills matrix, and through periodic evaluation of the board’s effectiveness.
- To support and line-manage the Senior Executive Director who will act as the accountable officer in the respect of the organisation’s responsibilities to UK Sport and Sport England, and ensuring that the company has a robust, workable and viable operational strategy, and monitoring the operational performance of the organisation and the executive management.
- To offer advice and guidance in a consultative capacity to the executive as required.
- To maintain positive relationships with major external stakeholders, including UK Sport and Sport England.
- Board of Directors
- Executive Directors and Senior Management Team
- UK Sport and Sport England
- British Taekwondo Control Board (WTF) Limited and Taekwondo Organisation Limited
- British Olympic Association and British Paralympic Association
- World Taekwondo Federation and European Taekwondo Union
- A strategic and collaborative approach to objective setting and decision-taking with the ability to facilitate focussed and relevant discussions.
- A strong understanding, and track record, of non-executive leadership, delivering results.
- A strong understanding of elite performance sport.
- A sound track record of management of senior executive personnel.
- Good knowledge of corporate and sports governance board-level responsibilities, and accustomed to the principles of public sector propriety, regularity and accountability. Able to “lead from the front” in terms of demonstrating the highest standards of integrity at all times.
- Good all-round business (including financial) acumen with proven experience, skills and knowledge of the requirements to lead a successful organisation.
- Tenacious and diplomatic, with a strong track record of strategic leadership, with the ability to identify and critically assess opportunities and threats in order to develop effective strategies and solutions.
The Chair will be an Independent Chair, in line with the definition of independence provided within the 2016 Code for Sports Governance. Therefore, the Chair will be independent if they are free from any close connection to the organisation and if, from the perspective of an objective outsider, they would be viewed as independent.
Examples of a close connection include:
- They are or have within the last four years been actively involved in the organisation’s affairs, or the affairs of British Taekwondo Control Board (WTF) Limited.
- They are or have within the last four years been an employee of the organisation, or an employee of British Taekwondo Control Board (WTF).
- They have close family of business ties with any of the organisation’s directors or senior employees.
GB Taekwondo positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of race, disability, age, sexual orientation, religion or beliefs.
HOW TO APPLY
Please complete an application form and covering letter to GB Taekwondo, HR Manager Garry Adams by e‐mail:
Closing Date for Applications:31st January 2017
Interviews: Thursday 9th February
GB Taekwondo, National Taekwondo Centre, Ten Acres Sports Complex, Ten Acres Lane, Manchester M40 2SP
Office tel: 0161 974 7770