Health & Safety Manager –
Candidate Recruitment pack
May 2010 Page 1 of 16
Kensington and Chelsea TMO Repairs DirectHealth & Safety ManagerRecruitment
Tel: 020 8964 6087
292a Kensal Road, London W10 5BE
Kensington and Chelsea Tenant Management OrganisationRepairs Direct –Health & Safety ManagerRecruitment
Thank you for your interest in this position. Enclosed is the information you will require to assist you in completing your application.
To apply please can you:
- Provide an up-to-date CV which shows your full career history with any breaks explained, please include details of all roles (including non-executive positions) that are currently held – we recommend that this is no longer than three pages;
- Write a supporting statement detailing how you are a good candidate for this post and how you fulfil the person specification – we recommend that this should be a maximum of around three pages;
- Complete the combined compliance and equal opportunities form;
- Indicate if you cannot attend the interview dates.
Please note that applications can only be considered if all the documentation is completed.
However, it is not mandatory to complete the equalities section within the compliance form. The information requested is purely for monitoring purposes in line with our commitment to equality and diversity, and will not affect the outcome of your application.
Once complete, please send your application, preferably in MS Word format, by email to by post to: HR Department, KCTMO, 292a Kensal Road, London W10 5BE.
Due to postal unreliability we recommend you e-mail your application to us wherever possible to avoid missing the deadline.
May 2013 Page 1 of 15
Kensington and Chelsea TMO Repairs DirectHealth & Safety Manager
Applications must be received bynoon on Friday 31st May 2013.
It is your responsibility to ensure that we have received your application. If you do not receive confirmation of receipt of your application from us within 24 hours, please call 020 8964 6052to ensure it has arrived. In order to avoid last-minute IT issues, we also strongly recommend that you allow yourself ample time to submit your application in advance of the deadline.
Should you be shortlisted for first interview, these will be held onW/C 10th June 2013.
Following this process, successful candidates will be invited back to attend the final stage.
All interviews will be held at KCTMO’s offices in London.
For an informal discussion about the role, or If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me on 07730 088991.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Assistant Director of HR & OD
Welcome letter from the Executive Director of Operations / 5
About KCTMO / 7
Job description / 9
Person specification / 11
Principal terms and conditions / 13
Key dates / 14
Media advertisement / 15
Further information on KCTMOcan be found at:
Health & Safety Manager, Repairs Direct
I am pleased that you are interested in this position and thought it would be helpful to give you some insight into our organisation and the role.
KCTMO is a unique Borough wide Tenant Management Organisation (TMO) working in the influential, high profile Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea (RBKC). The TMO has a strong relationship with RBKC and is viewed as a key strategic partner. It is an independent company that enjoys the ability to shape its services through resident led management.
The TMO has demonstrated strong performance and has invested in the development of the leadership (senior management) team to deliver change and service improvement over the past 3 years. The organisation is now well placed to consider and pursue opportunities for growth.
The KCTMO Board, which is resident-led and acts on behalf of all residents,decided at the beginning of 2013 to set up a new repairs company called ‘Repairs Direct’ to look afterresident repairs and maintenance. We believe that having our own repairs company gives us much greater control of service delivery. We will be able to develop our own people and ensure that their customer service skills are at the forefront of everything we do.
This role will report to theManaging Director and is anticipated to commence at the beginning of August.
You will be joining the organisation at an interesting and challenging time of change. This is a brand new opportunity within our repairs service, and to work with colleagues across the TMO to improve services for our residents.
KCTMO has changed significantly over the last two years. We have a good working relationship with our residents who can see the improvements that have been made and are excited about the future.
The TMO has an excellent senior management team and a staff team that are empowered and tell us that they enjoy working for us in pleasant offices located within an attractive borough with a wide range of housing.
Thank you for your interest in this challenging and exciting role. Should you require further details, please contact Fay Johnstone, Assistant Director of HR & OD.
We can assure you it is an exciting time to be part of KCTMO’s journey. We very much look forward to hearing from you.
Executive Director of Operations
In the early 1990s, the tenants and leaseholders of the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea decided to pursue their legal right to manage their own homes. Following two separate ballots in 1994 and 1995, the Kensington and Chelsea Tenant Management Organisation (KCTMO) was established on 1 April 1996 and the responsibility for managing 9,760 properties passed from The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea to the Tenant Management Organisation.
The Council still owns the properties and retains responsibility for strategic housing policies and homeless people. The relationship between KCTMO and the Council is governed by a Management Agreement, which covers all areas of the landlord business. Whilst KCTMO still enjoys a close working relationship with the Council, it is a completely separate company. At the time of the transfer of management responsibility to KCTMO, approximately 18% of the properties had been sold on long leases.
In 2002 KCTMO took over the responsibility for major capital works from the Council to access extra resources and funding to enable KCTMO to bring the properties up to the Decent Homes Standard. KCTMO is a company limited by guarantee with members whose main residence is in Council owned or leasehold accommodation. There are currently over 4,500 members of KCTMO, and residents are actively encouraged to become members. KCTMO is managed by a Board of Directors comprising of eight elected tenant and leaseholder members, four appointed Councillor Members and three independent appointed other members.
Our Mission, Key Objectives and Values
- Your community - a great place to be
- Delivering excellent housing services through resident led management
Our core values
- Delighting residents and customers by exceeding expectations
- Being open and accountable for all we do
- Valuing the individuality and culture of residents, staff and communities
- Inspiring change for the better by improving homes and communities
- Increase resident satisfaction & put customers at the centre of everything we do
- Raise housing service standards by delivering quality and accessible services
- Grow our business and protect our assets
- Maintain financial viability
- Improve organisational capability
In January 2013, the TMO Board agreed proposals to in-source the repairs and maintenance service by setting up a direct labour organisation. This has created our new subsidiary company, KCTMO Repairs Direct which will start operating at 2 September 2013.
escriptionJob Title /
Health & Safety ManagerReports to / Managing Director, Repairs Direct
Job Purpose /
To report to the Managing Director and the Board on all matters relating to Health & Safety within KCTMO Repairs Direct.Dimensions / Main Location: / Network Hub, 292a Kensal Green Road, London W10 5BE
- To actively create a positive Health & Safety culture across the entire organisation.
- To make recommendations for maintaining H&S awareness throughout the organisation.
- To devise and maintain effective H&S management systems in relation to all areas of the company’s work.
- To create a framework for regular on-site inspections and audits to ensure operative are consistently adhering to the agreed systems of work and specific Method Statements.
- To devise and deliver training as necessary via formal courses and informal means such as regular toolbox briefings, coaching, etc.
- To ensure an effective system is instigated to facilitate monitoring of sub-contractors
- To identify appropriate H&S Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and set meaningful targets for these.
- To ensure all employees are aware of their Health & Safety responsibilities and consider the H&S implications of their actions.
- To provide comprehensive advice & guidance on all aspects of H&S in relation to all employees and sub-contractors
- To regularly review the Company’s Health & Safety Policy and to monitor on going compliance with this.
- To complete Method Statements and Risk Assessments for all work activities.
- To review and update Method Statements and Risk Assessments in consultation with the employees on a regular basis.
- Ensure all reasonable steps are taken to control and reduce the level of risk to as low a level as practicable.
- To prioritise and actively participate in regular on-site inspections and audits.
- To highlight any actions that can be taken to reduce the potential hazards faced by employees, the residents, sub-contractors and TMO staff.
- To assist in identifying H&S training needs.
- To record and investigate all accidents and dangerous occurrences.
- To monitor H&S KPIs and report on compliance with these on a regular basis
- To coordinate and chair the Company’s H&S Committee
- To advise on PPE requirements across the organisation and assist in sourcing this equipment.
- To liaise with TMO H&S
Job Title: Health & Safety ManagerDirectorate / Department: Repairs Direct
To be appointed to this role you need to demonstrate your ability to meet the requirements below and to maintain and continuously improve these in the role
Criteria / Essential / Desirable / How identified
Experience and Knowledge /
- Knowledge of industry best practice
- Previous experience of working in a H&S position within a construction/property/FM/maintenance company
- Experience of carrying out on-site inspections and audits
- Experience of delivering construction-related training (both formally & informally)
- Experience of monitoring construction work within occupied residential dwellings
- NEBOSH Construction Certificate or Equivalent
- Studying towards the NEBOSH Diploma
Proof of enrolment
Other / Leadership Behaviours:
KCTMO has a Leadership Behaviours framework which all staff are expected to achieve in order to deliver our values.
- Self belief - the confidence that you will succeed, will overcome obstacles to achieve the best outcomes for service improvement.
- Self Awareness - knowing your own strengths and limitations and understanding your emotions and the impact of your behaviour on others in diverse situations and being able to manage your own emotions and be resilient in a range of situations.
- Drive for improvement - motivated to improve performance and to make a difference to customers.
- Personal Integrity - a strongly held sense of commitment to openness, accountability, inclusiveness and high standards and values.
- Future planning - being prepared to take action now to shape and implement a vision for the future development of the service.
- Creativity and flexibility - creatively leading and developing services, cutting through complexity.
- Political astuteness - commitment and ability to understand diverse interests and the dynamics between them.
- Drive for results - a strong commitment to making service improvements and a determination to achieve positive service outcomes for users.
Delivering the Service
- Leading change through people - communicating the vision and engaging others to work together to achieve a real change.
- Holding to account - strength of resolve to hold others to account for agreed targets and to be held account for delivering a high level of service.
- Empowers and works collaboratively - facilitating others contributions, share leadership and developing others capability, being committed to working with others to achieve results.
- Influencing - being able to adopt a number of ways to gain support and influence.
May 2013 Page 1 of 15
Kensington and Chelsea TMO Health & Safety Manager
Principal terms and conditions
These terms are provided for information purpose only and are not contractual. These are draft, pending the full set-up of the company and therefore could be subject to change.
PositionHealth & Safety Manager
Salaryc. £35,000 per annum
HoursYou will be contracted to work a 40 hour week. There is an occasional need to attend meetings in the evening or at the weekend.
LeaveThe post carries a leave entitlement of 28 days, plus all Bank and Public Holidays normally observed in England and Wales. The leave year runs from 1 April to 31 March.
ProbationThe post holder will be subject to a six month period of probation during which he/she is expected to establish their suitability for the post.
ReferencesAppointment will be subject to the receipt of references satisfactory to the company. The person selected will also be required to satisfy the company as to his/her medical fitness. The appointee will be asked to complete a confidential questionnaire on his/her medical history but may, in certain circumstances, also be asked to undergo a medical examination by the company’s Occupational Health Adviser.
The company will demand to see all original documentation as proof of qualifications.
Key datesClosing date for completed applications / Friday 31st May, noon
First interviews / W/C 10th June 2013, KCTMO offices in London
Second interviews / TBA
May 2013 Page 1 of 15
Kensington and Chelsea TMO Head of Contract Management Recruitment
Health & Safety Manager
Salary range: c £35k
We are recruiting for a Health & Safety Manager to report to the Managing Director of our newly created company, KCTMO Repairs Direct, on all matters relating to Health & Safety.
This role takes responsibility for creating a positive Health & Safety culture across the entire organisation and ensuring compliance at all times. This is an exciting opportunity for an individual with previous experience within Health & Safety to take ownership in setting the framework for the function in the new company.
It is essential that you are able to demonstrate previous experience of working in a Health & Safety position within a construction/property/FM/maintenance company and that you can give evidence of your knowledge of industry best practice. You will have experience of carrying out on-site inspections & visits, delivering construction-related training both formal and informal.
The ideal candidate will have the NEBOSH Construction Certificate or equivalent and is ideally working towards the NEBOSH Diploma.
The company will be offering a competitive salary and benefits package dependant upon experience. This role is anticipated to commence at the beginning of August.
For details of the full job description and to submit an application please visit the company website and click on jobs.
The full recruitment timetable for the role is:
Closing date:Friday 31st May 2013
Short listing: W/C 3rd June 2013
Interviews:W/C 10th June 2013
The TMO is an equal opportunities employer
No agencies please.
May 2013 Page 1 of 15