JOB DESCRIPTIONTitle / Medical Secretary / PA
Hours / 16 hours per week, over 2 days
plus occasional additional hours on a Saturday morning covering reception on a rota basis
During university vacations, you may be required to work additional hours to cover colleagues annual leave ensuring the needs of the business are met
Managed by / Business Manager/Operations Manager
Accountable to / Practice Partners
Salary Scale / £15,628(training)- £20,597pro rata, per annum
(£18,226maximum without medical secretarial qualification)
Contract / Permanent(subject to 6 month probationary period)
Key Skills Required – Essential / Key Skills Required – Desirable
-5 GCSEs/O Levels at Grade C or above (including Maths and English)
-Secretarial training and experience
-Experience with audio typing
-Experience dealing with public / - Experience of medical terminology
- Experience within a clinical setting
- Experience using scanning systems
- Experience with a digital transcription system
Personal Qualities Required
- Enthusiasm and motivation
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to work in a team and autonomously
- Pleasant telephone manner and excellent communication skills
- Ability to learn quickly and prioritise
- Problem solving capabilities
- Dedication and reliability
Duties and Responsibilities
- To work with 4 existing secretaries providing support for 15 doctors, 6 nurses and 2 managers
- Maintainingaccurate electronic records of all verbal and written communication within organisational systems (EMIS, Docman, spreadsheets)
- Deal with, troubleshoot and manage queries from doctors using a variety of communication (EMIS, patient tasks, Docman, Outlook, Crescendo etc)
- Liaise with patients, hospital secretaries and out-patient services regarding consultant appointments for both NHS and private patient.
- Liaise with the UEA and Dean of Students’ Department being mindful of confidentiality at all times.
- Audio typing – clinical referrals, medical reports, medical certificates, general correspondence as requested
- Process all incoming and outgoing correspondence; clinical and non-clinical, paper and electronic
- Manage, book and monitor appointments for all UMS consultant referrals on the national electronic booking system
- Use own initiative to work out answers to queries, making phone calls to outside agencies when necessary eg; chase up clinic letters locally and in other parts of UK, finding out when appointments will be
- Manage and process medical reports – log requests, prepare dictated reports and invoices
- Manage and process university medical certificates
- Chasing unpaid fees as requested by Business Manager
- Receive and make telephone calls, take/pass onmessages accurately and timely in a courteous, professional manner.
- Maintain internal and external telephone lists and contact details ensuring they are up to date
- Work with the CBT therapist to maintain a full appointment system, replacing cancellations and write to patients who fail to attend.
- Maintain, receive, order and accurately account stationery stock
- Work with colleagues to help develop secretarial systems within the office to support the clinical and administrative staff, increase communication and increase time efficiency as the practice extends.
- To contribute towards a network filing system on the computer to allow easy access to past work by all secretaries and clinical staff to aid the practice to become more paperless
- Staff may be asked to undertake additional hours to cover for the holidays and illness of their colleagues.
Please note: This job description is not exhaustive. You will also be required to carry out any other duties appropriate to this post, under the direct of the Doctors, Business Manager and Operations Manager. Full training and support provided in-house. Confidentiality must be adhered to at all times.
**Annual leave is not permitted during university term-timeunless by special arrangement**
Medical Secretary Job description: KHAug2017