August 24, 2017
Dear parent(s) and student,
Mrs. McMellon and I welcome you to our 1ST grade class. We are very excited to work with you and your child during the 2017—2018school year to fully prepare them academically for the future. Listed below are things that will make our 1st grade year very successful:
1)Please mark your child’s clothing, lunch box, lunch money, and snacks with their name on them.
2)Dress your child appropriately. Your child will need to wear shoes fastened to their feet when they are on school property. FLIP FLOPS, HALTER TOPS, AND TANK TOPS ARE NOT TO BE WORN TO SCHOOL.
3)ANYTIME YOU ARE VISITING OUR CAMPUS, YOU MUST CHECK IN THE OFFICE TO PICK UP A VISITOR’S PASS. NO ONE WILL BE ALLOWED TO COME IN OUR CLASSROOM WITHOUT A VISITOR’S PASS.
4)PRESCRIPTION MEDICATION—ALL PRESCRIPTION MEDICATION MUST BE IN A LABELED BOTTLE. BY LAW, WE CAN NOT GIVE YOUR CHILD OVER THE COUNTER MEDICATION. ALL PRESCRIPTION MEDICATION MUST BE CHECKED INTO THE OFFICE BEFORE GIVEN TO YOUR CHILD.
5)LUNCH (11:11—11:41) Full price student meals are $1.75. Payments for breakfast, lunch, or milk can either be paid in class or online.
6)DISMISSAL PROCEDURE (END OF THE DAY)—OUR CLASS WILL LEAVE THE CLASSROOM AT 3:15. DO NOT PICK YOUR CHILD UP WITHOUT NOTIFYING EITHER MYSELF OR MRS. MCMELLON IN PERSON. BUS RIDERS/RIDER CHANGES---ALL BUS RIDER/RIDER CHANGES MUST BE MADE IN WRTING BY 11:35 A.M. SCHOOL PERSONNEL CAN NOT MAKE ANY BUS CHANGES UPON TELEPHONE CALLS.
7)Snacks---We ask that you send a nutritional snack with your child. Our snack time will be from 1:10—1:20 p.m.
8)Homework---Homework will begin on Tuesday, September 5th. Homework will be based on our 1st grade North Carolina Standard Course of Study.
9)Conferences----Conference days are on the following days: Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday. We will meet at least twice during our 2017—2018 school year. If you wish to schedule a conference, please send a note/call the school. I will be glad to set up a date and time for our conference.
10)Encore classes---Your child will be participating in encore
classes from 1:30---2:15 daily. Listed below are the
A day----Computer Lab
F day------Computer Lab
****RECESS TIME IS FROM 2:20 TO 2:50 EACH DAY.
11) ABSENCES----A STUDENT HAS 3 DAYS FOLLOWING THEIR ABSENCE TO TURN IN A WRITTEN EXCUSE.
12) VOLUNTEERS----WE ENCOURGAE PARENT VOLUNTEERS IN OUR CLASS. TO BE A VOLUNTEER IN OUR CLASS, YOU WILL NEED TO SIGN A VOLUNTEER AGREEMENT FORM ALONG WITH COMPLETING A FINGERPRINT SCREENING AT THE ONSLOW COUNTY BOARD OF EDUCATION. IF INTERESTED, PLEASE SEE OUR OFFICE STAFF FOR MORE INFORMATION.
13) Report Cards and Interim Reports—Every nine weeks, your child will receive the following items: Report Cards and Interim Reports to show how your child is progressing in our class. It is very important for us to work togetherfor your child to be fully prepared for second grade next year. On your child’s report card, your child can receive the following grades depending on their academic and social progress: A—above grade, O—on grade level, B----below grade level. They can also receive S—for satisfactory and N—needs improvement. On your child’s Interim Reports, your child will receive their report every 4 ½ weeks following their report card to let you know how they are doing in class. YOUR CHILD WILL NEED TO RETURN BOTH THE BROWN REPORT CARD FOLDER AND INTERIM REPORTS SIGNED TO CLASS.
14) Our class will be participating with the PBIS system in and out of our classroom. Each day your child will go home with their daily behavior color in their agenda. We ask that you sign daily in your child’s agenda. You will find information about our school’s PBIS expectations and guidelines in your child’s folder. Please review these rules and expectations daily with your child.
15) Wish list for item(s) needed in our class---Through out the school year, we will need items such as tissues, wet wipes, gallon and quart size zip lock bags. We would appreciate any donation(s) of these items to our class.
Let’s have an outstanding year working together to achieve the very best for your child!!