CLASS CODE: 5980
PAY GRADE: 421
CLASS TITLE:VOCATIONAL REHABILITATION CONSULTANT - SES
This is professional vocational rehabilitation work providing consultation and technical assistance to vocational rehabilitation counseling units and/or developing and/or coordinating the implementation of special projects.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED:
(Note: The examples of work as listed in this class specification are not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the class. The omission of specific statements does not preclude management from assigning specific duties not listed herein if such duties are a logical assignment to the position. Examples of work performed are not to be used for allocation purposes.)
- Provides technical assistance to counselors and supervisors to facilitate the implementation of casework strategies.
- Serves as a member of the team for quality casework and assists in identifying training needs.
- Consults with management on the implementation of individualized training and acts as liaison with the state training consultant.
- Provides guidance and counseling in career planning and rehabilitation to severe and multiple disabled clients referred by other counseling staff due to limited rehabilitation potential.
- Serves as interagency liaison.
- Negotiates and mediates conflicts or problems which develop between counselor and client; client and vendor; or client and agency with the concurrence of the unit supervisor.
- Serves as review consultant on all accepted rehabilitations in unsuccessful cases prior to closure.
- Assesses learning and resource needs for district management and designs effective programs.
- Confers with medical, psychological and psychiatric consultants to determine the degree of individual impairment, functional limitations and proper course of treatment.
- Prepares reports on activities and reviews reports of other counseling staff.
- Performs related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
(Note: The knowledge, skills and abilities (KSA's) identified in this class specification represent those needed to perform the duties of this class. Additional knowledge, skills and abilities may be applicable for individual positions in the employing agency.)
- Knowledge of the theories and practices of vocational rehabilitation counseling.
- Knowledge of case work principles, practices, and techniques.
- Knowledge of the professional ethics relating to vocational rehabilitation counseling.
- Knowledge of the vocational rehabilitation process as it relates to the purchase of services for clientele.
- Ability to assess training needs and develop and conduct training programs.
- Ability to utilize problem-solving techniques.
- Ability to develop individual vocational rehabilitation programs for severely disabled clients with limited resources.
- Ability to develop and review programs and their effectiveness and to recommend policy and procedural changes.
- Ability to understand and apply applicable rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.