Unit number and title / Unit 4 – Engineering Maintenance
Qualification / Level 1/2 NQF Qualification- Engineering Materials and Manufacturing (2014)
Start date / 20/10/2015
Deadline/hand-in / 27/10/2015
Assessor / G Shorten
Assignment title / Assignment 1 – Equipment Failure & Maintenance Procedures / Criteria Point(s) / P1, P2, M1
Purpose of this assignment
Know about causes and effects of equipment failure and typesof maintenance procedures
You have recently taken a position as a Maintenance Technician in a small North East engineering company that specialises in manufacturing component parts for cordless drills. The company is called RotaBearing. The engineering equipment that the company uses is becoming unreliable, and the Production Manager is very concerned about this; as a result, he wants you to investigate types of equipment failure and possible maintenance procedures, and to report back to him in a written format that he can refer to when discussing equipment failure/maintenance issues with the owners of the company.
Why does engineering equipment fail, what happens when it does and what can we do about it?
You are to investigate the possible impacts of engineering equipment failure and to find out about the different ways that engineering equipment can fail. You must then:
- Produce a written report that details the different causes and effects of engineering equipment failure. Use embedded images to show examples/illustrate the issues, and try to link causes to effects wherever you can. Ensure that your report covers the following -
- Causes – age, wear, vibration, corrosion, fouling, environment, lack of maintenance
- Effects – decreased productivity, increased cost, health and safety of users, environmental impact
- Produce a written report that details the features of different types of planned and unplanned maintenance procedures. Within your report, provide comprehensive information on the benefits of each planned maintenance procedure and the impact of each unplanned maintenance procedure. Ensure that your report covers the following maintenance procedures -
- Planned - routine maintenance, total preventative maintenance (TPM), predictive maintenance, condition monitoring, calibration
- Unplanned - emergency, run to failure, condition-based, post-fault
P1. Explain the causes and effects of engineering equipment failures.
P2. Describe types of planned and unplanned maintenance procedures.
M1. Explain the benefits of planned maintenance procedures and the impact of unplanned maintenance procedures.
Written reports with embedded images
G Shorten 2014