ESR is a Government-owned Crown Research Institute (CRI) that uses the power of science to solve complex problems for our partners and customers and protect people and products in New Zealand, and around the world.
Our mission is 'keeping communities safe, healthy and prosperous through smart and sustainable science'.
ESR is recognised the world over as leaders in the rapidly evolving fields of forensic, health and environmental sciences, known for ground-breaking methods and technologies that keep people safe, healthy and prosperous. As the touch point for New Zealand and international customers, ESR is sought after to provide innovative and high quality science solutions using leading-edge research and state-of-the-art laboratories. Customers regard ESR as a critical partner in their success through ESR’s service ethic and commitment to their objectives. ESR is a magnet for talented and aspirational professionals who are appreciated, supported and proud of their work
- Our team spirit (Mahi Tahi) Great people working together as one team
- Our quality counts (Mahi rangatira) Standing out through our excellence and world class expertise
- We do the right thing(Mahi pono) Upholding integrity and independence no matter what
- We push boundaries (Mahi auaha) Meeting challenges with fresh thinking and creative approaches
The Management Accountantprovides financial analysis and support to business groups in a timely manner and in accordance with accepted management accounting practices and ESR’s policies and procedures.
A level of initiative and flexibility appropriate to the nature of the role is required, and as such the contents of this position description are not intended to be an exhaustive list of requirements.
ACCOUNTABILITIES / DELIVERABLES
Deliver management accounting services to business groups /
- Work with the GM and their direct reports to support business groups to manage and report on their finances effectively and in line with ESR’s requirements.
- Provide analysis and support for the preparation of the annual budget and quarterly forecasts for business groups (working with managers and the GM) including Capex expenditure plans.
- Maintain the budgeting and forecast process that provides an unambiguous financial quantification of the operational plans which support the relevant programme strategies.
- Provide analysis to support for the preparation of the five year financial forecast (Statement of Corporate Intent) (working with managers and the GM)
- Act as SAP and Board super user and use the planning, budgeting and reporting systems effectively.
- Monitor and assist in the management of CAPEX expenditure
- Provide product costing, cost of sales analysis and cost management services.
- Act as a back-up for other Management Accounting staff members when required.
- Develop and maintain process documentation for systems and processes associated with the role.
- Work with other relevant functions including Finance to ensure a consistent approach to financial management and management accounting is taken across ESR.
- Participate in the month-end process, checking validity and accuracy of posting, accruals and revenue recognition.
Provide financial information, knowledge, training and assistance to support effective financial management and robust decision making within the business group /
- Provide support and financial analysis for contract negotiations with major clients, and/or financial analysis of new business ventures and expansion projects.
- Provide first level support to the business group General Manager on sound financial policies, practises and analysis.
- Provide assistance to managers and the GM for business groups, particularly in areas of enhancing financial policies and practises, to develop timely and accurate and relevant monthly reporting for use in managing business units.
- Identify and promote systems enhancements. Actively participate in testing & implementing new functions.
- Provide support to business groups on robust financial decision making, including business case development and financial analysis.
Health & Safety /
- Take reasonable care that one’s acts or omissions do not adversely affect the health and safety of oneself or others
- Be familiar with, comply and follow any reasonable instruction relating to ESR’s Health & Safety policies, procedures and any relevant legislation and regulations
- Actively participate in ESR Health & Safety processes and activities including, but not limited to, induction, training, risk management & reporting.
- Follow the relevant responsibilities as detailed in the Appendix of ESR’s Health and Safety Policy.
Information Management /
- Manage any information created or received in the course of ESR business in accordance with ESR’s Information Management and Recordkeeping Policies, procedures and any relevant legislation.
KEY WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
- Financial Controller
- Team Leader Management Accountant
- GM Business Services
- General Manager for the business group(s) the role supports
- Direct reports/managers within those business groups
- Business Services and Finance Team
- Strategic Leadership Team
- Programme & Project Managers
- ESR managers and staff
- External Consultants
- SAP Consultants
- Suppliers & Customers
- BOARD MIT Consultants
As per delegated authorities policyESSENTIAL EXPERIENCE ANDTECHNICAL SKILLS
Educational and registration requirements: /
- Tertiary qualification in accounting and ACA/CA qualifications
- CA Qualification is preferred.
Technical skills, knowledge and experience /
- At least 5 years experience working in a management accounting function
- Strong modelling skills in MS Excel
- Excellent knowledge and work experience in SAP, data warehouse software and other common accounting software and systems
- Excellent knowledge/experience of Business Intelligence tools (e.g. BOARD)
- Ability to consult, share information, develop other’s knowledge and skills, and influence, both within a team environment and cross functionally to promote robust financial management and decision making
- Excellent organisational and time management skills
BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCY / FOCUS AREAS – All other staff
Communication (Organisational and Client) /
- Communicates appropriately, openly and effectively.
Delivering a Continually improving Service /
- Looks to contribute to new ways of working to continually improve the service.
Delivering the Service /
- Takes a methodical approach to work, prioritises tasks effectively, and consistently meets deadlines in order to provide an excellent service.
- Has the ability to develop new methods and introduce new ideas.
- Uses originality of thought and imagination.
Leading Managing & Implementing Change /
- Demonstrates a positive attitude to change and contributes to new ideas and improved ways of working.
Providing Excellent Customer Service /
- Maintains a professional approach and presents a positive image to internal and external people when representing self and ESR
- Makes every effort to ensure the experience clients have of ESR is positive and productive.
Technology knowledge /
- Possesses credible technical knowledge and expertise relevant to the role, keeps this up to date and can apply and transfer this to the work programme and others.
Working in Partnership /
- Works well with colleagues inside and outside the team.
- Looks beyond boundaries of own job to support others, sharing knowledge and contributing to a positive team spirit.
This position description is subject to review from time to time
INSTITUTE OF ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE AND RESEARCH LTD