Benjamin M. StatlerPh.D. Research Fellowship
Application deadline July 1, 2016
The Statler College anticipates awardingtwonew Statler Fellowshipsfor the 2016-17academic year.Statler Fellowshipscarry an award of$25,000per year, renewable up to three years maximum for MS/Ph.D. track students and up to four years maximum for BS/Ph.D. track students.In addition, recipients will receive up to $1,000 of matching support from the College for research-related travel.Fellowship appointments will normally begin in the fall semester of the academic year.
This is a merit basedfellowship available to new or recently enrolled doctoral studentsadvised by research active faculty in either a BS/PhD or MS/PhD degree track program.A minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.75 or equivalent is required for new students enrolling in a BS/PhD program and a minimum graduate GPA of 3.8 or equivalent is required for new students enrolled in a MS/PhD program. Recently enrolled students need to have a graduate GPA of 3.8. Applicants must be enrolled in a graduate program that involves a research dissertation. Application for a fellowship consists of:
- A detailed statement of research interest, project, and research plan not to exceed three pages;
- Copy of current resume;
- Letter of recommendation from the research advisor, who must beresearch active in the proposed research area; and
- Current or prior report of GRE scores.
Selection preference will be given to U.S. citizens.
Applications will be reviewed by a panel of college faculty who are active and successful in sponsored research.
Recipients of a fellowshipmay be eligible to have their fellowship renewed if they fulfill the criteria identified under the section Award continuation and expectations.
Award continuation and expectations:
- Maintain graduate cumulative GPA of 3.8and remain in good academic standing;
- Establish your Advisory and Examining Committee by the end of the first semester following the award and actively involve the AEC in research guidance and progress reporting each semester thereafter;
- Complete all department and College PhD program requirements in a timely fashion, including qualifying exams and achieving candidacy;
- Apply for national fellowships (e.g. NSF Graduate Fellowship) where appropriate;
- Participate actively in campus and professional research meetings and opportunities;
- Annually report on research progress and plans to disseminate yourscholarly work.
Submit all required materials, to the Office of the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, Room 106, ESBby the application deadline.
Benjamin M. StatlerPh.D.Fellowship Application
Applicant Name: WVU ID:
Major: Research Advisor:
Statement of Research Interest (not to exceed 3 pages):