DEPARTMENT OF RESIDENTIAL PROGRAMS
APPLICATION FOR OFFICE ASSISTANT
Instructions: Please read and answer all questions completely. Print legibly or type your answers. In order for your application to be considered, you must return this completed application, and have two reference forms returned to the Division of Campus Residences (Mendelsohn Quad). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Name ______ID#______First Name Last Name
Campus Address ______Phone 216- ______
Permanent Address ______Number & Street
______City/State/Zip Area Code/Phone #
Class Year: ______Major: ______Cumulative GPA: ______
1. Including this current semester, how long have you lived in the residence halls? ______
2. Current or anticipated time commitments: (i.e., other job(s), student teaching, research, major co-curricular involvement, etc.):
3. Employment: Please provide the requested information for your last two positions held, including part-time and/or summer. Position ______Employer ______Supervisor Name ______Phone # ______From ______To ______
Position ______Employer ______Supervisor Name ______Phone # ______From ______To ______
4. Community Service/Leadership Experience: List any positions/activities which you have been involved with (eg. high school, student organizations, service programs, etc.) Organization Position Dates
5. References: In order for your application to be complete, you must secure a minimum of two (2) references. Both references must complete the attached form, and return it to the Division of Campus Residences as noted on the reference form itself. If your reference returns this form to you, then you must make sure it is returned to the Division of Campus Residences. Please list the name, title and phone number of the individuals to whom you gave your reference forms: Name Title Phone #
6. Computer Skills: Please note and specify experience/knowledge you have in working with computers and computer software.
7. Experience: Please note any typing, filing and/or general office experiences.
REQUIREMENTS 1. All Office Assistants must maintain good academic standing with the University at Stony Brook. 2. All Office Assistants must be in good disciplinary standing with the University at Stony Brook and the Division of Campus Residences. 3. All Office Assistants are required to live in a campus residence hall/apartment during the entire time of employment. 4. All Office Assistant positions are for the full academic year. 5. All Office Assistants are expected to arrive early before each semester and leave late at the conclusion of each semester. 6. Failure to maintain these requirements may result in loss of the student staff position.
I hereby affirm that all information provided in this application is true to the best of my knowledge. I understand that any false statements may result in removal from the application process.
______Signature of Applicant Date
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EDUCATOR AND EMPLOYER The University at Stony Brook does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status or status as a disabled or Vietnam-era veteran, in its educational programs or employment.
For alternative format of this application, please call 632-6750
OFFICE ASSISTANT REFERENCE
APPLICANT: Please complete the top section of this form before submitting to your respondent.
Name of Applicant ______
In accordance with the provisions of the Family Educational Rights Privacy Act of 1974, P.L. 93-380 (as amended), with specific references to Section 438 a.1.B. and Subtitle A, sections 99.7, 99.11 and 99.12.
I ( ) DO Waive my right of access and review of this reference. I understand that the reference is confidential.
I ( ) DO NOT Waive my right of access and review of this reference. I understand that the reference is confidential.
Signature of Applicant ______
RESPONDENT: The individual requesting this reference is an applicant for an Office Assistant position with the Division of Campus Residences at the University at Stony Brook. The Office Assistant provides administrative support for an office that serves residents of a University residence hall and/or apartment building. The Office Assistant is expected to act as a referral source, coordinate administrative systems, accurately perform clerical functions in a timely manner, maintain accurate records, provide quality student service, and assist with the general management of the office.
Although we have included a waiver of review for the candidate, we strongly encourage your consultation with the applicant directly -- perhaps your thoughts will provide the applicant with valuable feedback that they can use in this position or in other facets of their personal and academic life as well as their career.
Name of Respondent ______
Title of Respondent ______
How long have you known the applicant? ______In what capacity? ______
On the other side of this form, you will find several areas in which you are asked to indicate your perception of this applicant. Please keep in mind the individual's readiness to be considered for this position as well as your knowledge of the applicant's strengths and limitations. Please use the following scale to respond to each area, and comment briefly on your assessment of the applicant in each area. 5 Very Good 4 Good 3 Average 2 Fair 1 Poor N/A No opportunity to observe this area
(5) Very Good (2) Fair (6) Good (1) Poor (3) Average (n/a) No opportunity to observe
______Reliability: Carries through on their commitments and responsibilities. Comments:
______Flexibility: Exhibits the ability to adjust easily to new experiences and situations. Comments:
______Decision Making: Capable of making effective, sound and timely decisions. Comments:
______Communication Skills: Understands and expresses thoughts clearly, ability to listen and respond to others.Ability to work with others and handle complaints. Comments:
______Performance Under Stress: Ability to work effectively under pressure. Comments:
______Motivation/Attitude: Enthusiasm, level of commitment, ability to work as a team member, initiative. Comments:
______Organizational Skills: Ability to coordinate tasks, prioritize multiple tasks and general clerical abilities. Comments:
______Maturity: Demonstrates a well-rounded adult attitude, ability to communicate values, personal goals and strengths and limitations. Comments:
______Acceptance of Feedback: Receives positive and constructive feedback appropriately and evaluates the feedback provided to effect positive behavior change. Comments:
Strengths: Discuss general strengths this applicant possesses that would make him/her an effective staff member.
Limitations: Discuss limitations/areas in need of improvement that we could assist this applicant with.