7-25-16 Nursery Production Manager, Claremont
Nursery Production Manager
Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden (RSABG)
Full-time; salary commensurate with experience
Works closely with: Staff of Grow Native Nursery, Director of Conservation Programs, Manager of Community Education, Chief Financial Officer
The primary responsibilities of this senior level staff position are to:
- Manage nursery operations including the plant production process to support RSABG’s retail nursery, Grow Native Nursery (GNN), the needs of the living collections (including exhibits), and to fulfill contracts;
- Work closely with staff in the GNN on list of plants to be grown, sizes, quantities, and schedule for transfer to GNN;
- Lead the propagation and production of over 20,000 retail-quality plants of about 100 different taxa each year;
- Work with research staff and students to oversee management of research plants;
- Work closely with Conservation Program staff to achieve contract objectives;
- Work closely with Director of Horticulture to develop lists of plants needed for the living collection, including rare and unusual natives; propagate and produce this in a timely manner;
- Establish and maintain high standards for sanitation and organization of the entire space devoted to nursery functions;
- Maintain plant propagation records and track plant accessions of nursery-maintained plants for the living collection.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee and manage the entire production process to ensure that the highest quality plants are produced as efficiently as possible, both for the living collection and for the GNN. Seek out and implement new methods and materials to improve the production process.
- Establish, implement and maintain procedures to track costs of production accurately, especially of plants grown for the GNN.
- In close consultation with Garden staff, create production plans and production schedules to support GNN yearly sales goals, the needs of the living collection (including exhibits), contracts and research.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date reports on production progress and make these accessible to GNN staff and Director of Horticulture.
- Work closely with the RSABG CFO to establish and then implement tracking and reporting systems to achieve accuracy for purposes of financial accountability and audit.
- Develop strategies to improve overall efficiency in a manner that emphasizes cost-effectiveness of plants produced for GNN.
- Develop and maintain production department standard operating procedures, including high sanitation standards, protocols for pest control, and organization; ensure that employees understand and follow the procedures.
- Develop and manage budgets following RSABG financial policies in consultation with the Director of Horticulture and other senior staff as necessary (e.g. Director of Conservation Programs); monitor and take appropriate actions to ensure that department meets budget goals.
- Manage employees, interns and volunteers in the Nursery: in consultation with Director of Horticulture and HR, hire, train and supervise staff and interns to create and support a professional nursery staff that is empowered to be creative and resourceful; ensure that staff follow best practices, including safety considerations; ensure that work is appropriately prioritized and completed in a timely manner; perform regular evaluations of staff.
- Work in partnership with Conservation Program staff on contracts, including assisting in estimating the cost basis for growing contracted plants and providing guidance on propagation methods.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Associate’s degree in horticulture or related field and/or extensive related practical work experience; Bachelor’s degree in horticulture or related field preferred.
- Two or more years’ professional experience in related field (horticulture, nursery production, restoration, etc.).
- Working knowledge of the California flora and experience working with California native plants.
- Experience managing budgets and tracking financial records.
- Basic computer skills including familiarity with MS Office (Word, Excel) essential.
- Good communication skills and willingness to work cooperatively and collaboratively with other department staff, volunteers, students and associates outside the institution.
- Physical strength sufficient to safely lift and carry 30-40 lbs.
- Must possess a valid California State Driver's License
RSABG offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package.
Qualified candidates please email, fax or mail resume and letter of interest to:
Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden
Attention: Human Resources
1500 N College Avenue
Claremont, CA 91711
Email or fax 909-626-3489
Application period will remain open until the position is filled
Contact for further information