4th 9 Weeks Common Assessment Review
- Which diagram does NOT represent an ecosystem? (there may be more than one correct answer)
- An exotic plant is introduced to a stable ecosystem. This exotic plant has no natural enemies and thrives in the ecosystem. How will this plant affect the community?
- The number of native species will decrease.
- The native species will be unaffected.
- The native species will become extinct.
- The number of native species will increase.
- Which would cause succession on a prairie? (there may be more than one correct answer)
- A devastating fire.
- Grass blown flat due to wind.
- Soil remaining wet after heavy rain.
- Grass plants die after a long draught.
- In the food chain below, where is light energy converted to chemical energy?
- Sun B. FrogC. HawkD. Grass
- Grass helps to prevent erosion because it is able to----
- Store nutrientsB. Absorb water C. Hold soil in placeD. Undergo photosynthesis
- Which of the following BEST describes a desert ecosystem?
- Animals and plants that live in the desert.
- The organisms and nonliving environment in the desert.
- The plants and rocks that live in the desert.
- The cacti and scorpions that live in the desert.
- Which statement best describes the likely relationship in the food chain shown below?
- If the grass population decreases, the deer population increases.
- If the deer population increases, the grass population increases.
- If the grass population increases, both the deer and coyote populations increase.
- If the deer population decreases, the coyote population will remain the same.
- Decomposers play an important role in ecosystems. Decomposers in the soil help trees by----
- Providing important nutrients.
- Collecting sunlight.
- Stalling growth.
- Keep predators away.
- Solar energy must be converted into a form of energy that humans can use to carry out their lives. The sequence that shows this path of energy is----
- Radiant energy, heat energy, chemical energy
- Radiant energy, chemical energy, mechanical energy
- Heat energy, mechanical energy, radiant energy
- Heat energy, chemical energy, mechanical energy
- Look at the image below. The arch in the rock was most likely caused by---
- GravityB. OxidationC. WindD. Waves
- What does photosynthesis produce?
- Carbon Dioxide & Glucose
- Oxygen & Glucose
- Chlorophyll & Oxygen
- Sunlight & Carbon Dioxide
- What is needed for photosynthesis to occur?
- Carbon Dioxide
- What would be the most logical step after lichens, liverworts?
A) Growth of large trees
B) Growth of bacteria
C) Growth of mosses
- What would be the most logical step after herbs, weeds/grases, insects, small plants? A) Growth of shrubs and small trees
B) Growth of mosses and lichens
C) Growth of oak trees
- What is a good explanation as to why hardwood trees take so long to grow and outlast all others as an ecosystem maintains equilibrium?
A) Because the shrubs require more carbon dioxide than the trees.
B) More soil is needed for trees.
C) The trees block sun from small shrubs so they last longer over time.
- An ecosystem may take several years to rebuild after a natural disaster. This rebuilding is known as ______.
A) ErosionB) DecompositionC) SuccessionD) Denitrification
- Dead plants and trees are also broken down and then recycled back into the earth/ground. Which organisms break down these trees
A) DecomposersB) AutotrophsC) HeterotrophsD) Consumers
- What happens to the dead organisms (from question 15)?
A) They stay at that current location forever unless moved by a natural disaster.
B) They support new plant life.
C) They must be removed by humans (ranchers or farmers).
- Astronauts must wear special spacesuits with heat resistant shields when they leave their spacecraft. The suit protects astronauts in space from:
A) Bugs and outer space wildlifeB) Extreme temperatures C) Ruining clothing
- This summer you go to your annual family river trip and notice that the path of the river has changed. In fact, the rivers has moved over quite a bit. Which of the following could have caused this movement?
A) Volcanic eruption B) Hurricane windsC) Erosion & Deposition
- What could be a cause of surface water pollution?
A) Rocks moving to a new location.
B) Fertilizers being washed away by a heavy storm.
C) Lake water evaporating making the lake more shallow.
- Which would be the final stage of succession from the list of plants below?
- pine trees
- hardwood trees
- annual weeds
- perennial weeds
- When the plasma membrane pushes against the cell wall of a plant it is know as ______.
- cellular respiration
- turgor pressure
- Paper products that are buried in the ground, in a landfill will ______over time.
- go through erosion
- The drawing above is an example of ______.
- turgor pressure
- Earth is the only planet in our solar system to have water in all three forms. A) True B) False
- Which erosion tray below will produce the least sediment in its bowl? A, B or C
- When a pond goes through ecological succession it will get shallower and shallower because ______.
- sediment will fill it up over time
- the water evaporates away
- of drought
- water slowly soaks into the ground
- About ¾ of the air that we breath is made up of ______.
- carbon dioxide
- Which is the correct order of the layers of the atmosphere?
- Troposphere, stratosphere, mesosphere, thermosphere
- Thermosphere, mesosphere, stratosphere, troposphere
- Troposphere, mesosphere, thermosphere, stratosphere
- Mesosphere, troposphere, thermosphere, stratosphere
- In outer space astronauts have to be careful of very high pressures.A) True B) False
- A company clears a wooded lot of a trees and leaving just bare ground. What will be the first organisms to come back to the area?
- Water becomes groundwater when it ______.
- runs off into a river or other tributary
- condences into water vapor
- transpires from tree leaves
- it soaks into the ground
- Which is a reason why scientist hypothesize that life can not exist in the outer planets of our solar system?
- planets are too large
- planets are too small
- they are too far from the Sun
- their seasons are too long
- In order for fertilizers to have the least impact on on our groundwater, ______.
- it must run off into streams, creeks and rivers
- it must soak into the root systems of plants that it is intended for
- it must evaporate back into the water cycle
- Which city in Texas is less likely to be directly affected by a hurricane?
- A tornado with sustained winds of 255 mile per hour would be a ______on the Fujita scale.
- Below is the diet of a coyote in the Rolling Plains. Due to increased urban build up, what two areas of the circle graph might you see an increase?
- Vegetation and Insects
- Insects and Carrion
- Carrion and Livestock & Poultry
- Vegetation and Rodents
- Which two organisms below do NOT have predator-prey relationships?
- Grasshopper and Aardvark
- Termite and Mongoose
- Mouse and Mongoose
- Harvester ant and Aardvark
- Which ecosystem is more biodiverse and if one species were to die off would not have as much of an impact on the rest of the ecosystem? A) the one on the left B) the one on the left
- A, B, D
- A, D
- A, C, D