Strategies for Development 332-341
- How do many governments of LDCs finances development?
- What are the two major international lending agencies?
- What does the World Bank focus its lending toward?
- What are 3 specific things the World Bank made hundreds of loads towards?
New Directions in Development
- Revived liberal faith in the market mechanism and the private sector:
- What are countries expected to eliminate when they adopt neoliberalism?
- What were governments of LDCs asked to do when they adopt neoliberalism?
- Does neoliberalism push for low or high taxes?
- A composite of skills, habits, schooling, and knowledge that contributes to successful economic development and sustained growth.
- Money sent by international migrants back to family members in their home country:
- What creates strong migration pressures to move out of Africa?
- According to the World Bank, how much worth of remittances were sent in 2011?
- Besides meeting basic family needs, what are remittances often used for when transferred to poor countries?
Development prospects read
Challenges and Opportunities Facing Developing Countries
- What are some major challenges facing developing countries?
- What types of things do LDCs spend borrowed money on?
- How can a development project be considered a failure?
- How is development money lost?
- What are programs called that force governments to eliminate tariffs and reduce spending on education, health care and social services to get them to pay off their debts?
- Why are squatter settlements vulnerable to slum clearance?
- What is the most essential resource in rural agricultural societies?
- What does population growth in the developing world increase?
- What is the redistribution of arable land to farm workers called?
- Who are often the most disadvantaged segment in the poorest countries in the world?
- In the cultural sense, a reference to socially created distinctions between femininity and masculinity:
- Where has gender related contrasts been reduced?
- As women’s agricultural productive role declined, they were afforded ______domestic authority, ______control over their own lives, and ______property rights.
- What does it mean “women gained greater control over their fertility”?
- Where are women paid less than men for comparable employment?
- What two regions have a low economically active female population? Why?
- Is there a higher percentage of women working in South Asia or the Middle East?
- Looking at figure 10.22, what is the largest country with less than 25% of the adult women active in the labor force?
Read Empowering Women Financially on p. 338
Alternative measures of development and well being
- What does HDI stand for?
- What 3 statistics are included in the HDI?
- What does GEM stand for?
- What region dominates the top of the GEM rankings?
- What region has the lowest ranked countries of the GEM rankings?
Does Foreign Aid Help? Answer questions 1-4 on p. 334-335