St Oswald’s Sunshine Club Job Description
Post Title –Child Care Assistant (temporary)
Reports to–The Sunshine Club Manager (or Deputy Sunshine Club Manager) and ultimately to the Directors
Purpose of Post
- To support the Sunshine Club Manager and Deputy Sunshine Club Manager in the day to day organisation of the Sunshine Club;
- To work effectively within a team delivering high quality care and education and to organise and maintain a high quality care and learning environment (including displays and resources).
- To maintain high standards in the following key areas:
Key Area – Curriculum Delivery
- To work in partnership with the Sunshine Club Manager, Deputy Sunshine Club Manager and Nursery Teacher to delivery high quality learning experiences and care;
- To contribute to the planning and evaluating of learning activities;
- To observe and record children’s learning experiences;
- To maintain records of children’s learning experiences in the role of key person as required by the Nursery Manager;
- To take a full and active role in preparing and maintaining the learning environment indoors and outdoors;
- To work in partnership with other members of staff to ensure that the needs of all children are met. This includes working with children with special educational needs under the direction of the Sunshine Club Manager, Nursery Teacher, SENCO and/or outside agencies;
- To support and guide students during their placements within the setting.
Key Area – Care of Children
- To know and build up knowledge about individual children;
- To listen and respond to children;
- To be alert to the children’s needs;
- To maintain a caring learning environment;
- To communicate effectively, and to establish positive and professional relationships, with parents and carers;
- To ensure the setting’s equipment is safe to use and to report any issues to the Nursery Manager (or Deputy Manager);
- To have full regard to the setting’s Equal Opportunities Policy, Child Protection Policy and safeguarding procedures.
Key Area – Team Membership
- To communicate effectively, and to establish positive and professional relationships, with colleagues and representatives of outside agencies;
- To play an effective role in the larger fully integrated setting team;
- To recognise and use own strengths and those of others.
Key Area – Setting Identity
- To promote a positive image of the setting to children, parents/carers and visitors;
- To contribute to and promote the Christian ethos of the school in which the setting is fully integrated.
Key Area – Health, Hygiene and Safety
- To contribute to both the physical and emotional health and well-being of the children;
- To keep up-to-date with children’s allergies and health concerns and use this knowledge to ensure the setting is safe for all children;
- To liaise with the Sunshine Club Manager, Nursery Teacher, SENCO and representatives from outside agencies in supporting children’s health and/or medical needs;
- To administer first aid and medicines when necessary and if trained;
- To keep the kitchen and toilet areas tidy, clean and safe. This includes disinfecting sinks and toilets at the end of each session (in conjunction with the school Nursery Nurses);
- To be responsible for preparing a healthy daily snack, breakfast and/or tea when required;
- To carry out duties with full regard to the setting’s health and safety procedures.
Key Area – Personal and Career Development
- Review and develop own practice;
- Identify own training needs in conjunction with line manager;
- Attend and participate in training as required.
Key Working Relationships
The Childcare Assistant is expected to build and maintain good working relationships at every level. Working in partnerships with parents and families is valued and the Childcare Assistant must be approachable, friendly and able to communicate effectively at all times. The Childcare Assistant must also respect confidentiality of sensitive family information and have regard to child protection policies and procedures.
- Children attending the Sunshine Club, their parents and carers;
- Sunshine Club colleagues;
- Sunshine Club Nursery Manager and Deputy Manager.
- The Nursery Teacher and the school’s Nursery Nurses;
- Health visitors, community nursery nurses, social workers and other professionals;
- The School Head Teacher;
- Durham County Council;
Budgetand Cash Handling
The Childcare Assistant musthandle petty cash responsibly and under the direction of the Sunshine Club Manager or Deputy Manager. The Childcare Assistant must have all expenditure approved by the Sunshine Club Manager or Deputy Manager prior to purchases being made. All receipts must be given to the Sunshine Club Manager or Deputy Manager.
Health and Safety
The Childcare Assistantmust carry out his/her duties will full regard to the setting’s Health and Safety procedures.
The Childcare Assistantmust carry out his/her duties with full regard to the setting’s Equal Opportunities policy.
To undertake additional duties as required, commensurate with the level of the job.
Name of Post Holder:
Name of Sunshine Club Director and Company Secretary: