Social Security Numbers/Itins for International Students

Social Security Numbers/Itins for International Students

General Financial Information

Student Account information

Please remind your students that if they want to view the most up-to-date account information, they need to access “View My Account” through CAESAR. “View E-Bill & E-Payment” in CAESAR only contains information from the last invoice. If students have unpaid charges, they should review “View My Account” to determine amount owed before going to “View E-Bill and E-Payment” to make their payments. You may also review students’ accounts by going to NU Customer Account in SES. If you do not have access to this page, you may request it by going to Under Student System Authorization Forms select the Student Financials form. The form should be submitted to Josephine Ravara at

Social Security Numbers/ITINs for International Students

International students who are funded on fellowships need to apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). If international students are being appointed for the first time as a graduate or research assistant and currently do not have a Social Security Number, they must take their funding letter (provided by program—it must include information on nature of job and start date) to the International Office (IO). They will then be given the application and authorization for release form to take to the appropriate Social Security Office (in Evanston – 2116 Green Bay Road; in Chicago – 77 W. Jackson Blvd, 3rd floor). Please refer to for additional information. When students receive their Social Security card, they must take it to the appropriate Payroll Office and to the Registrar’s Office so that their national ID will be updated.

E-Verify for New Appointees

Any student being hired now and in the future for the first time in FASIS must complete the Employment Eligibility Verification Form I-9. Appropriate documentation may be passport, or SS card or birth certificate along with picture ID (unless a nonresident). Students should complete section 1 online at and then provide documentation in your department or Payroll Office (either campus). The I-9 form should be fully completed within three days after the beginning of the appointment start date. Failure to complete the I-9 may result in students not getting paid. Please be aware that winter quarter appointments begin December 1 unless the student is a winter quarter 2015 admit. Then the appointment begins January 1.

Direct Deposit in FASIS

Direct deposit enrollment is required on a paper form, which can be obtained at The form must be submitted at least four days prior to the payroll confirmation. If the form is not submitted by the deadline, a pay card will be issued. No paper checks are issued. The direct deposit enrollment cannot occur until an active appointment exists in FASIS.

Tax Information

Please remind your students that if their funding switches from assistantship to fellowship/scholarship or vice versa there may be tax ramifications.

Scholarship/fellowship payments for U.S. citizens, Permanent Residents, and U.S. tax residents are taxable but not subject to tax withholding unless a student specifically requests taxes to be withheld via federal and state W-4 forms. The payments may be considered taxable income and must be reported when they file their U.S. federal and state tax returns. IRS publication 970 can assist in determining which portion of these payments is considered taxable income. Students that would like Payroll to withhold taxes, complete the Federal W-4 Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate and IL W-4 Employee’s IllinoisWithholding Allowance Certificate forms by entering a specific dollar amount on line 6 for the federal W-4 and line 3 on the Illinois W-4.

Once they add the additional tax withholding, it is very important to know this extra withholding will continue on each payment they receive from the University until they submit new federal and state W-4s removing the additional amount. That means when they switch to an assistantshippayment (GA, RA, TA) or any other type of employment income (prize, additional pay, etc.) where regular federal and state taxes are withheld, they will then be taxed on the payment for BOTH the normal tax withholding and the additional amount they entered on the W-4s. To avoid this, departments need to help students stay alert to any funding changes. If they will be changing from scholarship/fellowship to another type of payment (or back), they must submit the federal and Illinois W-4 forms to the Payroll Office by the monthly payroll deadlines for the tax change to be effective for that month.

If the students have any questions about tax withholding, please have them contact the Payroll Office at or 1-7362 (EV) or 3-9700 (CH).

Address Change and Viewing Pay Stubs

Students should update their address each year or whenever their address changes in SES through CAESAR and FASIS Self-Service

Students may view their paycheck stub online through FASIS Self-Service. They may also find all previous paystubs here.