Recruit Host ExpectationsFor Student Hosts at Saint Michael’s College
Acting as a student host is a very important service to your College, your team, and the Department of Athletics. It is also a big responsibility. By agreeing to be a host, you take on a responsibility to understand and abide by NCAA, Northeast-10 Conference and Saint Michael's College rules. You are expected to display conduct of the highest integrity while representing your team and your school. Any violation of college policy or laws of the State of Vermont will not be tolerated. Carefully review the following rules, as you will be responsible for following them.
- The College prohibits minors from consuming alcoholic beverages and prohibits minors from being served. DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, offer alcoholic beverages or other illegal substances to a prospect. Prospects should not be brought to parties or gatherings where alcohol/drugs are present.
- Unless previously arranged by the coaching staff, you should not permit prospects to be transported in a private vehicle. All activities during the visit should occur on campus unless approved by the Head Coach. NCAA rules prohibit the use of any vehicle provided or arranged for by any institution staff member or booster. Remember, you cannot take the prospect or their family more than 30 miles from the Saint Michael’s College campus.
- The prospect is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY. Show them what it is like to be a Saint Michael’s student-athlete. Make sure they receive a tour of the campus and see all the athletic facilities. Introduce them to other team members and other students and do your best to answer their questions about Saint Michael’s. Bring them to athletic events or other campus events. Eat all meals with them in the College Dining Hall. Accompany them to their appointments or classes scheduled on their itinerary.
- Though other team members can help you entertain them, you must never leave them alone. You should know where they are at all times. Do not permit them to be without you at gatherings, or let them wander off alone late at night. Their safety is your responsibility.
- A visiting recruit can engage in recreational or workout activities provided they are not organized or observed by the coaching staff and are not designed to test athletic ability of the prospect. A “tryout” by the coaching staff may be permitted under NCAA guidelines and is different than recreational activities or workout.
- Providing/purchasing sexual favors, purchasing pornography or any engagement with sexually explicit material is strictly prohibited.
- If you encounter any difficulty with the visit you should contact your Head Coach immediately.
To serve in the role of Student-Athlete Host, I have read the above instructions and agree to abide by these and all NCAA and Saint Michael’s College rules:
Name and Signature of Student-Athlete Date
Name of Prospect:______Campus Room Location:______
I certify that the Student-Athlete Host named above has read and understands the instructions on this document.
Signature of Head Coach or Athletics Department StaffDate Coach’s contact number during visit
COACH: Please send a copy of this form to: Douglas Babcock, Lou DiMasi, and your Athletics Administrative Liaison