Professional Development Content
In the 2014 Supplemental Budget (ESSB 6002 Section 501(x)), funding was provided solely for the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction to develop a content outline for professional development and training in cultural competence for school staff. The purpose of this proviso was to create a collection of resources that educational service districts and school districts are envouraged to use.
- Description of services provided:
The Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction reviewed the work of the Cultural Competence work group convened by PESB, Standard V of the PESB standards, and the TPEP models to identify content strands for the outline. Staff collaborated with stakeholders and compiled a consortium of materials that could be used for training school staff in the content area of cultural competence.
- Criteria for grants:
- Beneficiaries in State FY 2014-15 School Year:
# of OSPI staff associated with this funding (FTEs): 0
# of contractors none
- State funding since inception FY15as onetime $49,000
- Number of beneficiaries (e.g., schools, students, districts) since inception:
School Districts: 0
- Average and range of funding per beneficiary, 2014-15 school year:
- Evaluations of program/major findings:The professional development content outline will be made available to the public on the Equity and Civil Rights section of the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction website. Educational service districts and school districts are encouraged to use this resource when considering professional development in cultural competence for school staff.
- Major challenges faced by the program:Cultural competence is a continuum, not a destination.This proviso is targeted to school district and educational service district staff and aims to include materials for awide-rangingaudience of all school staff and involved coordination of many stakeholders including colleges of education across the state. Due to no FTE funding past fiscal year 2014-15, there is no immediate plan for maintenance of this content outline. In addition, this proviso lacks technical assistance on the use of available resources to support professional development training for school staff.
- Statutory and/or Budget language:
Budget Proviso:ESSB 6052 Sec. 1501(X) $49,000 of the general fund--state appropriation for fiscal 2015is provided solely for the office of the superintendent of public instruction, in collaboration with the education opportunity gap oversight and accountability committee, the professional educator standards board, colleges of education, and representative from diverse communities and community-based organizations, to develop a content outline for professional development and training in cultural competence for school staff, which educational services districts and school districts are encouraged to use.
- Other relevant information: None