Post:Telecare Alarm Response Operator
Responsible to:Operations Manager
Purpose of Post
To take appropriate action with regards to handling calls via the Telecare Calls Handling System, and other voice calls, this will frequently be of an emergency nature.
To handle all incoming calls appropriately and take the necessary action required.
To ensure appropriate records and information relating to the Alarm Service are maintained.
To meet the established - but continually evolving – standards as set by the Telecare Services Association code of practice.
- To operate the Telecare Response Centre calls handling system.
- To operate within standard published policies and procedures to ensure that all calls are treated as potential emergencies and subsequent appropriate escalation action is taken, which will include liaison with the emergency services.
- To communicate effectively with a diverse range of service users and respond appropriately and effectively to their needs in a professional, courteous and sympathetic manner.
- To develop and maintain a working understanding of the Telecare alarm equipment and Telecare Response Centre, and where appropriate all controls, indicators and sensors.
- To maintain and accurately up-date records and information systems as appropriate in responses to calls, and information received.
- To create and maintain a good professional working relationship with all persons with whom the employee must liaise in the performance of the duties of the post.
- To collate and provide statistical and other information relating to the Alarm Service, as required.
- To handle responsive housing repairs and other enquiries and to take appropriate action in accordance with stated practices and procedures.
- To carry out administrative and clerical duties as required, including undertaking outbound welfare check calls, and to operate office equipment as required.
- To learn to operate new equipment and procedures as and when required in response to changes to, and the development of, the Telecare Response Centre and associated services.
- To respond to enquiries and questions relating to marketing and sales aspects of the development of the service and to support promotional activities as appropriate.
- To work in accordance with the Company’s Condition of Service.
- To uphold the Company’s Equal Opportunity and Data Protection Policies.
- To attend training and meetings for central control staff whenever required, and outside basic duty hours of the post.
- To carry out any other reasonable duties appropriate to this post, as necessary or as requested.
- This post will involve lone working and it is essential that lone worker policies and procedures are followed.
- In addition to basic duty hours, undertake the duties of the post at other times in accordance with the reasonable requirements of the Management Team. This requirement may necessitate you carrying out day, evening, night time, weekend and public holiday duties and may have little advance notice.
- This post is subject to a Criminal Records Bureau Check and a satisfactory check of the POVA list set out in the Care Standards Act 2000.
- Good general standard of education.
- NVQ2 in Customer Care or prepared to work towards.
- NVQ2 in Contact Centre Operators or Call Handling Operation.
- Proven track record in customer care and service delivery.
- Experience of working with Windows based computer programmes
- Experience of working with telephone systems or in a call centre environment
- An understanding of the needs of older and vulnerable people.
- General administration experience
- Understanding of how Telecare Services operate.
- Experience of housing maintenance services.
- Knowledge of structure and services offered by local government.
- Accurate data input skills
- Ability to listen to and record information accurately
- Ability to communicate effectively over the telephone.
- Basic maintenance skills to facilitate the installation of equipment
- Good technical skills
- Ability to think clearly and act calmly in emergency situations.
- Ability to communicate with service users clearly and sympathetically.
- Demonstrate the ability to work effectively under pressure and at times without supervision.
- Calm and pleasant manner, especially when under pressure.
- Ability to multi task
- Respect for diversity
- Good organizational skills
- Must hold a valid UK driving license and use a Call24 pool vehicle when available. The post holder must also otherwise be prepared to use their own vehicle for work purposes.
- Flexible approach to shift work and the willingness and ability to work unsociable hours.
- Ability to work within corporate policies and procedures, and an understanding of equal opportunities.
- A satisfactory Enhanced Criminal Records Bureau check will be required.