/ November 2013
Freedom of Information Request
You asked for the following information from the Ministry of Justice (MoJ):
“Can you please provide me with information regarding the following question.
Note that a similar FOI Request has been posted on 10 January 2013 (Reference FOI/80011).
How many cases each has PHS Wastetech Ltd brought against their customers since 2011?
How many cases did PHS Wastetech Ltd win against this customers in those years?
How many cases brought by PHS Wastetech Ltd did the judge rule in favour of the customer?
And how many customers brought a case against PHS Wastetech?”
Your request has been handled under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (FOIA).
I can confirm that the department holds information that you have asked for, and I am pleased to provide this to you.
We have run a number of ad-hoc queries against our central database searching for PHS Wastetech Ltd and variations upon it eg. Limited as either claimant or respondent in a claim, for the period 1 January 2011 to 30 September 2013. Based on the results of those queries I can tell you that the data brought back is included below. Please note that, at times, companies may use different names, or their names may be mis-spelled resulting in them not being identified in the data below. Please also note that the details provided are for all claims where we have identified PHS Wastetech as claimant or defendant, we cannot identify whether the defendant in claims they have brought are a customer of theirs, or whether anyone bringing a claim against them is a customer of theirs.
- PHS Wastetech Ltd and variations upon it (aka PHS All Clear Ltd trading as PHS Wastetech) issued 2,116 claims between 1 January 2011 and 30 September 2013.
- Of those, PHS Wastetech Ltd and variations upon obtained judgement in 1,032 of those cases. Of those, 56 were made by a judge, 2 were made on admission ad the remainder by default.
- In 8 cases judgement was made in favour of the defendant (all by a judge).
- Other parties issued 26 claims against PHS Wastetech (and variations of it) in the same period but I am unable from our systems to identify whether they were all customers of the company.
- The above data is the most recent available.
- Data are taken from a live case management system and can change over time.
- Data are management information and are not subject to the same level of checks as official statistics.
- The data provided has been extracted specifically to answer this question and has not been cross referenced with case files.
- Claimant are entered freetext onto the case management system and so are subject to variations in spelling and mis-spelling and so it is not possible to guarantee that all cases involving the companies listed have been included in the totals above.
- Where any company names are absent, no cases were found.